Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree15Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 14th 2017, 12:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Aurora, Il

Posts: 53
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale base model
Help installing the akra full system

Hi everyone!

So I removed the stock exhaust and when removing the front header I damaged the radiator. A replacement is on its way, used radiator bought from a fellow member, now i am in debate where to finish the job myself or taking it to the dealer. I am not exactly doubting myself about doing it, I am asking for tips, recommendations or more information on installing everything back. If I would've known that by removing the radiator first I would've had a lot more space to work around the exhaust, would've have saved much time and trouble.

Anyone has gone through this or similar situation?
What are your recommendations?
Or plain and simple take it to Ducati?

Thanks and much appreciate it
1299rookie is offline  
 
Old Mar 14th 2017, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Planet Earth

Posts: 301
Thanks: 60

With the radiator removed it's a reasonably easy job.

I managed with the radiator in place but the front header nuts are a biatch to get off, it's tight and you need a small 3-4 inch ring spanner and you only get 1/8 turn at times....
Once you get the front header back on its not too bad, leave header bolts loose for connecting other pipes later, (assemble the heat guard to the front header first).
Then I think I did the rear header next leaving header bolts loose then the link pipes.

Then the silencers (the rear silencer bolts are a biatch as well, put the front bracket on first with nuts on loose then attempt the rear silencer bolts).

Then the spring rubber hooks which are not too bad, I used a screwdriver to pull them up and stretch the top hook over.

You did get the instructions with them, right?
Thanks from NW1299

Last edited by Steveo; Mar 14th 2017 at 01:37 PM.
Steveo is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Member
 
Joined: Apr 2016
From: SoCal

Posts: 33
Thanks: 10

The front header is the hardest part. If you're replacing the radiator, then the access problem is solved.

The instructions are not comprehensive, but many of my problems resulted from straying on my own. The sequence of removal and replacement is important.

I would say keep going
MB Duc is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2017, 01:50 PM   #4
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Aurora, Il

Posts: 53
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale base model
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
With the radiator removed it's a reasonably easy job.

I managed with the radiator in place but the front header nuts are a biatch to get off, it's tight and you need a small 3-4 inch ring spanner and you only get 1/8 turn at times....
Once you get the front header back on its not too bad, leave header bolts loose for connecting other pipes later, (assemble the heat guard to the front header first).
Then I think I did the rear header next leaving header bolts loose then the link pipes.

Then the silencers (the rear silencer bolts are a biatch as well, put the front bracket on first with nuts on loose then attempt the rear silencer bolts).

Then the spring rubber hooks which are not too bad, I used a screwdriver to pull them up and stretch the top hook over.

You did get the instructions with them, right?
Yes I got the instructions, still I found they lock of accuracy.
When would the radiator go back then?
1299rookie is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: USA

Posts: 1,089
Thanks: 1059

This has been written about extensively and yet we have another destroyed radiator. Don't feel bad, the dealers do a nice number on them as well. I really don't understand the hesitation in dropping the radiator when installing systems. Without the right tools, your going to loose on shortcuts.
Thanks from NW1299
endodoc is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2017, 03:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
TurboLag's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Norway

Posts: 592
Thanks: 248

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale
Get the fan and duct off, makes lide MUCH easier. But if you're replacing the radiator anyways, install the front header before you install the radiator...
TurboLag is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2017, 06:14 PM   #7
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Aurora, Il

Posts: 53
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale base model
Originally Posted by endodoc View Post
This has been written about extensively and yet we have another destroyed radiator. Don't feel bad, the dealers do a nice number on them as well. I really don't understand the hesitation in dropping the radiator when installing systems. Without the right tools, your going to loose on shortcuts.
I'm fairly new to the forum, I actually tried to find information but not much luck. I agree 100% removing the radiator should definitely be suggested.
1299rookie is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2017, 06:39 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: USA

Posts: 1,089
Thanks: 1059

Sorry didn't mean to be a jerk. I just come off that way LOL. You can do it. Just stare at it a bit. As I alluded to in a previous thread, the bike is a jigsaw puzzle with a systematic assembly and disassembly sequence. Once you figure it out, things are easier. I can do the exhaust in under 2 hrs (correctly) without taking the radiator out (zero damage)but only with a set of bizarre aviation tools that are essentially air ratchets that are used in specialty fastener assemblies in extremely limited access areas (inside wing assemblies). I got these things at a military auction years ago and they are awesome. The forum members have laid out excellent advice. You should have no issues
endodoc is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2017, 01:32 AM   #9
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Aurora, Il

Posts: 53
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale base model
Originally Posted by endodoc View Post
Sorry didn't mean to be a jerk. I just come off that way LOL. You can do it. Just stare at it a bit. As I alluded to in a previous thread, the bike is a jigsaw puzzle with a systematic assembly and disassembly sequence. Once you figure it out, things are easier. I can do the exhaust in under 2 hrs (correctly) without taking the radiator out (zero damage)but only with a set of bizarre aviation tools that are essentially air ratchets that are used in specialty fastener assemblies in extremely limited access areas (inside wing assemblies). I got these things at a military auction years ago and they are awesome. The forum members have laid out excellent advice. You should have no issues
It's all good, just had to mentioned being a fresh 1299 owner left aside working on this bikes. I agree, seems like I got few pointers and I should be ok finishing it I suppose. Rad comes either today or tomorrow so once I get it then I will make my mind . Definitely having the right tools helps a lot.
1299rookie is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2017, 02:05 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
double0's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,259
Thanks: 1350

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2007 CBR600RR, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
Originally Posted by 1299rookie View Post
It's all good, just had to mentioned being a fresh 1299 owner left aside working on this bikes. I agree, seems like I got few pointers and I should be ok finishing it I suppose. Rad comes either today or tomorrow so once I get it then I will make my mind . Definitely having the right tools helps a lot.
I did my install while ONLY removing the side fairings. Nothing else on the bike. Of course this made my install much more difficult than someone lifting the subframe and removing the radiator. I did bend a couple of fins but the damage was very minor. Even with the right tool, the front header bolt wasn't turning much at all so taking it off and then putting it back on was definitely challenging to say the least but I got it done. Had to make 2 trips to my local shop to get tools that I didn't have. Install took me about 8 total hours over the course of a weekend, which included my trips to the store. I could easily cut that down to half the second time around if I had to. More importantly, I would do it all over again because not only did I save $500 or so, I also learned a lot about the complexity in the design of this bike and nothing is more rewarding than being able to say "I installed that."
Thanks from bradp51
double0 is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
akra, full, installing, system



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help! Akra/Termi Full System owners please pheelmeh Ducati 1199 12 Aug 30th 2015 06:19 AM
1299S w Akra EVO full system dynoed buttnekid Ducati 1299 10 Jul 8th 2015 11:00 PM
Want To Buy: akra/termi full system + LED headlight jojonathan Want To Buy 1 Nov 7th 2014 05:26 AM
Installing termignoni full system on my tricolore playaktam Ducati 1199 47 Jun 9th 2014 11:10 AM
AKRA Full System VIDEO. George Villar Ducati 1199 14 Jun 20th 2013 04:40 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed