Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 1st 2017, 04:06 AM   #11

I Ride: 1299S
My advice to you is to fit the lock as I described. For the moment however, just insert the key into the lock and place the arm onto the barrel in the approximate orientation shown in the picture above, having hooked the cable end onto it. Don't fit the spring yet!

Now turn the key and check that the arm moves anticlockwise towards the front of the bike and pulls the cable. You may need to keep a finger on the arm as you do this to stop it popping off. Remember you are just checking that the basic position of the arm and the orientation of the lock are correct. You will note that the arm will not spring back when you release pressure on the key, since the spring has yet to be fitted. If the arm does not move in the correct sense it's possible that you could have fitted the lock 180 degrees out. This is perhaps due to the slots in your carbon fibre panel not being accurate enough to determine that the lock can only be fitted one way, as normally they are assymetric to prevent you fitting it incorrectly. I have seen a few panels where the manufacturers have actually made the slots the wrong way around or at the incorrect clock angle. Check the slots in your carbon panel against those in your OEM plastic part. If the same you should be good to go. The arm itself has a square hole in it's centre, alowing you to fit it to the barrel of the lock at different positions. You just need to work out which one to give you the movement you require when you turn they key. When you find it I recommend you paint a small stripe across arm and barrel, so in future you will always marry it up in the same position, should you need to remove the lock again.

OK so if all is correct, remove the arm. You can leave the cable attached and fit the spring such that one end hooks into the corresponding recess in the body of the lock. As you offer up the arm to the lock barrel, hook the other end of the spring into the hole of the arm. This can be a little fiddly. You just need to ensure both ends of the spring remain in place. The arm should be fitted in the same orientation as the position you previously tested. Whilst holding the arm in place fit the domed washer over the top and finally the screw and tighten it all down. There is no rubber washer as part of this lock assembly. Trust me once you have the lock correctly fitted, you will wonder why you found it so difficult. Sounds to me as if you just have it or the arm incorrectly orientated. It's literally a 2 min job if correctly assembled.

Last edited by topolino; Aug 1st 2017 at 04:17 AM.

Old Aug 1st 2017, 09:04 PM   #12

I Ride: 2016 Panigale 1299
Finally did it correct today. Thanks for all the help guys
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 08:10 AM   #13

I Ride: 1299S
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cycler View Post
Finally did it correct today. Thanks for all the help guys
Glad you got it sorted.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 09:18 AM   #14

I Ride: 2018 1299 FE, 2013 1199R
I was just having the same issues putting my lock back together.
I found a REALLY EASY method to reinstalling the Assy. ...... have Retarded timing over for dinner. Feed him dinner, brownie sundae and a few beers..... and have him do it.
WAY EASIER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Aug 6th 2017, 10:25 AM   #15

I Ride: Anniversario l Hypermotard 939 SP
Hahaha I will never say no to brownies.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
cover, installing, lock, seat