Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree11Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 15th 2019, 05:15 AM   #31

Just picked up a 2015 1299s. I got stuck in NYC traffic and it went up to 235 plus. It then started flashing "HIGH." Anyone experience this? Bike has 3000 miles.

Old Jul 15th 2019, 05:23 AM   #32

I Ride: Panigale R | MTS1000
Originally Posted by sando112 View Post
Just picked up a 2015 1299s. I got stuck in NYC traffic and it went up to 235 plus. It then started flashing "HIGH." Anyone experience this? Bike has 3000 miles.
yeah when it goes up that high, it's Engine is HOT. Superbike stuck in a traffic in a hot weather.... It doesnt matter of Milage.

When you're stuck like that TURN OFF the engine. You keep doing that, you'll destroy your motor.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 05:36 AM   #33

Unhappy

My instincts was to definitely turn it off. However, I was stuck in the Lincoln Tunnel so nowhere to go ... I was also thinking "is this normal?" I thought maybe my cooling fan wasn't working or that the coolant was low. From what I've been reading it just seems that 1299s run hot in general. I also have an 848 evo, but this 1299 heat is on another level, lol.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 06:54 PM   #34

I Ride: 2012 Ducati 1199 S Tricolore
I get that you would like to take the bike into Manhattan and show it off etc... but you really need to head up to upstate NY instead. The bike needs to be moving and hitting twisty roads. It needs airflow and is meant for speed.

Or at least wait for a 70 degree day....

I miss NYC!
Old Jul 16th 2019, 04:23 PM   #35

Originally Posted by sando112 View Post
oOOSH.

From what i've gathered from the fellas on the forum, thats too hot brother,
I've seen mine go as high as 219 an that was bad enough for me to start asking around here how to fix it.

Thats the first i've read about it flashing "high". That's no good, How hot was it outside?

Avoid that kind of heat soak if you can. It seems they're not made for it when standard cooling is concerned.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 05:15 AM   #36

Rode the bike from Manhattan to my house out of necessity, not showing off. I literally purchased the bike Friday. And I'm always up in Hudson Valley almost exclusively. NJ roads in my area suck.

The temperature was about 87/88 according Accuweather, but the bike read the ambient temp as 95 degrees. I just know that in the moment I remembered why I only ride at the crack of dawn in Hudson Valley

I checked the coolant on Sunday and it was a little low so I added some. I then took her out for a long highway ride with a few stops and all was good. I then let it idle to make sure the fan kicked in - all good. I'm going to flush the radiator and change the oil asap.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 07:56 PM   #37

Originally Posted by jr1050 View Post
Why couldn't you replace the black rubber hose that goes from the radiator fill to the bottom of the expansion tank with a clear one? Bernoulli's principle should come into effect and the level of coolant you see in the clear tube should match what's in the expansion tank. Do what someone else did and measure the min and max lines and transfer that to the outboard side of the expansion tank with a grease pen, or mark the tubing with a sharpie so you then have the level on the outboard side.

Can anyone verify if this would work, or has anyone tried it? I'm thinking of doing it but not sure when I'll get to it at this point.
Ok glad to know I’m not the only one puzzled by the nearly opaque overflow tank sight glass. Our local track does not allow normal antifreeze or even Engine Ice. We Have to use either distilled water or Water Wetter which is light pink. Just can’t be readily seen through that window. Simple method is to just use Pascals Law (not Bernoulli’s principal as others have mentioned) to see where the level is. Requires removing the upper fairing (6 screws - not that difficult and needed to add or replace fluid regardless), a Sharpie marker and that’s it. Pull the small hose that runs to the bottom of the overflow tank off the main radiator neck (have to release the simple squeeze clamp with a pliers of course to pull it free) and just raise and lower the tube until you see the fluid at the top of the tube. That’s the level in the tank. Transfer the lines from the other side (sight-glass max / min marks) to the outside - I hastily did it w a black then yellow paint marker. Filling the overflow tank is made silly difficult but removing the front fairing is not really needed - will eventually make small hole approx 3/8” hole above it to feed small tube into the tank attached to funnel or large “Toomey” syringe to add fluid in future. I used a makeshift filler with a small “T” piece I had on hand capping one limb. Very simple and checking future level is now piece of cake. See the pics.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pascal1.pdf (456.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf pascal2two.pdf (129.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf pascal2.pdf (317.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf funneland T.pdf (139.3 KB, 3 views)

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299, coolant, level, useless, window