Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree15Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 08:03 PM   #1

1299 Questions about problems and for Street Use

I've owned nothing but japanese supersports and superbikes with an inline 4 engine. Currently, I've had a 13 cbr1000rr for a couple years now but ready for a change.

I've always stuck with japanese bikes because of reliability and low cost of ownership but I'm ready to step outside of my comfort zone and try owning a euro bike.

A new 17' s1000rr and 17' 1299 (base) are at the top the my list. I's rather try a 1299 for something totally different, the s1000rr has the inline 4 I'm used to.

I only plan on keeping the 1299 for no more than a couple years, same term as the warranty. I will probably will ride no more than 10k max miles and it will be used primarily for street, not commuting though, but rather spirited runs out in the country and twisties.

I considered the new 959 but from what I hear the 1299 has more power lower in the rev range, actually makes a better road bike than the 959.

Question: How reliable is the 1299? Any fluid leaks? I heard a couple people mention it can overheat when city riding and that it heats your butt and legs up like crazy. Also, can you upgrade the headlights to LED like on the S? I would skip the S because electronic suspension is unnecessary for street riding and occasional track day, saves $5k.

I hear conflicting reports on the bike, some people say it's a decent superbike on the road and others say it horrible.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Old Oct 23rd 2017, 10:13 PM   #2

I Ride: KTM Duke R 1299 Pani YZF450 Saxon
My opinion so it's just my opinion.
It's not as easy to ride as the Jap bikes, myself coming from Jap super bikes, R1 and Blade.
It's got serious power and on the road you learn quick just how hard it pulls, it takes a bit of getting used to, does lift the head often if you get happy on the gas, I have most of the electronic aids set to minimum.

The heat is quite something, on a hot day in traffic it's very pronounced, that said on the one road even on hot days it's fine and mine does not overheat, at stop lights on 35C days the fan kicks in at 104C and it quickly brings it back to around 102 once on the go it goes back to below 100, but it does warm your legs to a point of noticeable discomfort

Issues:
My bike is a base 1299 it's a bit of a garage queen as I don't have the balls to ride it hard, I have had the front master cylinder start leaking - on delivery,I have had two quick shifter modules replaced, both died for no reason, apparently OEM part is shit so says the boys on this forum.
I have had the dash panel replaced ( costs about 10% the value of the bike)
It has now developed a coolant leak and I have not bothered to look for it yet.

The bike is 18 months old and has 4400 odd km on the clock

All the above issues were eventually sorted by my local dealer after a rather heated exchange of words as the dealer in my country places little value on clientele loyalty

The bike comes with a 2 year dealer warrant

Now the big difference......
Looks wise you cannot compare it to any Jap bike, they are ugly in my opinion and the beauty of the Pani makes up for all it's issues.

Then lastly all the Ducati loyalists on this form will tell you that these problems are just normal and it's all in the character of the bike and we must embrace these things and enjoy them.......
Thanks from Boogie
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 11:00 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Captain Greg View Post
My opinion so it's just my opinion.
It's not as easy to ride as the Jap bikes, myself coming from Jap super bikes, R1 and Blade.
It's got serious power and on the road you learn quick just how hard it pulls, it takes a bit of getting used to, does lift the head often if you get happy on the gas, I have most of the electronic aids set to minimum.

The heat is quite something, on a hot day in traffic it's very pronounced, that said on the one road even on hot days it's fine and mine does not overheat, at stop lights on 35C days the fan kicks in at 104C and it quickly brings it back to around 102 once on the go it goes back to below 100, but it does warm your legs to a point of noticeable discomfort

Issues:
My bike is a base 1299 it's a bit of a garage queen as I don't have the balls to ride it hard, I have had the front master cylinder start leaking - on delivery,I have had two quick shifter modules replaced, both died for no reason, apparently OEM part is shit so says the boys on this forum.
I have had the dash panel replaced ( costs about 10% the value of the bike)
It has now developed a coolant leak and I have not bothered to look for it yet.

The bike is 18 months old and has 4400 odd km on the clock

All the above issues were eventually sorted by my local dealer after a rather heated exchange of words as the dealer in my country places little value on clientele loyalty

The bike comes with a 2 year dealer warrant

Now the big difference......
Looks wise you cannot compare it to any Jap bike, they are ugly in my opinion and the beauty of the Pani makes up for all it's issues.

Then lastly all the Ducati loyalists on this form will tell you that these problems are just normal and it's all in the character of the bike and we must embrace these things and enjoy them.......
Thanks for the great feedback on your experience with the 1299.

I'm so spoiled with the ease of owning a honda that it will be annoying to deal with any knick knack problems on a Ducati. I've never done anything other than maintenance on my hondas and yamahas.

I agree, the 1299 is thee most beautiful superbike but I have so little extra time to spend at a dealer that any problems would royally irritate me, espcially since the closest dealer is nearly an hour away.

I have a tough decision to make.

Question, does the 1299 have bad vibrations?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 12:11 AM   #4

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale
I've owned my bike since march 2015, it's a base model 1299. It sees regular track (ab)use, had an engine rebuild at 24k km because I didn't change the oil often enough. Gets more power than a stock 1299SL now, and ALOT more power and torque than the national champion's race bike. Haven't had a single issue after shortened my oil service intervals, and I've driven 36k km up until now. With trackdays every thursday.
Engine mods are full exhaust, sprint p08 air filter, and tuneboy with a custom trim.

My gf has a 2014 R1, and she says the 1299 is easier to drive in traffic. It just has alot more power, so it's easy to make a fool of yourself. But as long as you're in control, it's a way better daily.
Thanks from Boogie
Old Oct 24th 2017, 12:16 AM   #5

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - R1200GS Rallye X - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
These problems are just normal and it's all in the character of the bike and we must embrace these things and enjoy them.......
Thanks from Prince Albert and Boogie
Old Oct 24th 2017, 12:39 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
I've owned nothing but japanese supersports and superbikes with an inline 4 engine. Currently, I've had a 13 cbr1000rr for a couple years now but ready for a change.

I've always stuck with japanese bikes because of reliability and low cost of ownership but I'm ready to step outside of my comfort zone and try owning a euro bike.

A new 17' s1000rr and 17' 1299 (base) are at the top the my list. I's rather try a 1299 for something totally different, the s1000rr has the inline 4 I'm used to.

I only plan on keeping the 1299 for no more than a couple years, same term as the warranty. I will probably will ride no more than 10k max miles and it will be used primarily for street, not commuting though, but rather spirited runs out in the country and twisties.

I considered the new 959 but from what I hear the 1299 has more power lower in the rev range, actually makes a better road bike than the 959.

Question: How reliable is the 1299? Any fluid leaks? I heard a couple people mention it can overheat when city riding and that it heats your butt and legs up like crazy. Also, can you upgrade the headlights to LED like on the S? I would skip the S because electronic suspension is unnecessary for street riding and occasional track day, saves $5k.

I hear conflicting reports on the bike, some people say it's a decent superbike on the road and others say it horrible.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Hi. I was asking the same questions as you and had similar ownership before buying the 1299s.

Havenít looked back. The 1299 definitely takes a little getting used to but once you do itís very rewarding and very fast.
Much more character than an online four and in my experience it invokes more of the feelings that a superbike should.

Iíve had no issues and dealership here has been great. Lost a fairing bolt on a rude( vibration) and they had replacement at my door free of charge next day. Also have given great service and very friendly.
Definitely warms the family jewels in slow traffic and is fairly comfortable.
So itís fairly aggressive , very fast , beautiful ,handles superbly and has lots of character in a good way. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks from Boogie
Old Oct 24th 2017, 01:18 AM   #7

I Ride: 2015 1299
i have rode both BMW and the pani.

i own the pani just because i started on ducatis and alway love how they look.
they do break alot mine needed a quickshifter, steering damper, and a thermostate. i only have 5k miles on it.

as for the vibration you'll get use to it if you ride it alot.

now the S1000rr is a great bike lots of creature comfort as long as you can get pass the look. and reliability wise is almost as good as a jap bike, i say almost cause the highbeam relay on mine blew with in 50miles of delivery.
Thanks from Boogie
Old Oct 24th 2017, 02:50 AM   #8

I Ride: 1299 Base, FZR 1000
I have almost 10K on my bike after two years. No issues that required warranty work. I probably just put a curse on myself now that I'm a few months out of warranty.....

The only time I thought my nuts were about to melt was in a traffic jam on I75 last year. Traffic was backed up 5-6 miles and wasn't moving. That was fun! I just bailed off the interstate and cooled down in a gas station for a bit.

I do plan on doing some upgrades since I'll be keeping the bike. 14T front sprocket,tuner,another set of tires,Phils gutted exhaust....

I've been on bikes for almost 44 years and 1K cc sportbikes for about 35 of that yet the 1299 still amazes me with how freakin hard it pulls. Wheelies? LOL.....

I have the base model. I centered the suspension settings and rode it for a while. I ended up two (three?) clicks stiffer front and rear after a little experimenting. At least the low end Ohlins feel different when you change settings. I've had bikes that changing the dampening did not make a noticeable difference.

Chris
Thanks from Boogie
Old Oct 24th 2017, 05:43 AM   #9

I Ride: 2015 1299 S
It’s exclusive and a blast to ride. Stands out in the crowd. Powerful, raw, yet can be tame until you open it up.
Have had a few niggles with it but nothing major. Can get spendy owning, parts,repair. but you gotta pay to play.
Bike puts a big smile on my face every time.
Thanks from Boogie
Old Oct 24th 2017, 06:22 AM   #10

I Ride: 2015 1299s, 2009 675SE
Mine has been reliable as a reliable thing on an extremely reliable day. The only real issue I have had is the clutch needs bleeding a couple of times a year if you ride it a lot. However that's always the case with a hydraulic clutch. My RSV Mille was horrific for it. Usually cracking the bleed nipple on the MC, gently squeeze the clutch lever in, hold and retighten solves it.

As for vibs, it's twin. However coming from someone who gets numb fingers and pins and needles from vibrations, the S1000RR I tested left me in bits the Pani not so much.

The thing has bags of character, there intrinsically Italian bits that you'll find on it that will annoy the hell out of you (Top yoke reflecting in the dash on a sunny day obscuring it as a starter for one).But you don't open the garage and look at an inline 4 like you do a Pani!
Thanks from Johnnyflies and Boogie

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299, problems, questions, street

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.