Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Fragile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 01:27 AM   #1

water leak solutions

For you guys that have not been following my thread (unusual water leak)

I have got a response from the dealer see attachment, they have attempted to fix the coolant leak twice.
Now Italy release a service advise saying that the leak is in fact normal and we must accept a leak now and again, with them claiming the water pump weep hole is supposed to leak!!?
WTF

When I ask why if this is now a design thing why did it not leak from day 1? this they cant explain, now my bike is leaking and it seems it cannot be fixed? Yet Im now supposed to Water pump Pani.JPGpurchase a V4??

I think that the factory released this in order to stop a flood of recalls because guys now cant complain about coolant leaks!!

In any case the 1299 was my first Ducati and Im just a bit disappointed with the problems its given me from day one!

I dont know how to place the factory doc in here so u need to click on it to open...enjoy ...o ja the feel good Duacti ownership is really great!

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 02:12 AM   #2

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale
Mine has had dried up spatter around the hole from day 1, but i haven't had it drip from the bike. My dealer (actually the head mechanic) said some seeping is normal, so I didn't ask further what it is since it doesn't pose a problem. But if you want to improve the solution, you could see if you could retrofit the tube from the 1299SL and make an expansion tank. You don't need much, since it's only trace amounts.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 03:13 AM   #3

The expansion tank sits up front by the main radiator ....putting a drip pipe down where drops could fall onto my rear wheel while I'm in a corner just does not seem like an ideal fix for me?
Sorry I'm calling BS on this one? who the fuc designs a water system ( preserised) and then tells me it can leak? And we are supposed to just accept this?
And then it may or may not.......
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 03:33 AM   #4

I Ride: 2013 1199S
No need to spam the forum, if your not getting the answer you want then go to another dealership.

Might doesn't leak a drop after I replaced the thermostat housing.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 04:10 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Halo2 View Post
No need to spam the forum, if your not getting the answer you want then go to another dealership.

Might doesn't leak a drop after I replaced the thermostat housing.
The problem is not the housing can't you read the document?

I'm not spamming big guy, just informing all of you who live eat shit and breath Ducati!

I can't take my bike to another country? We only have one dealer....

But you lot are very loyal ......

Let us know when u get the feel good leak it's inevitable ......reading the document I got from the factory not the local dealer.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 05:18 AM   #6

Mine leaks a bit. I have had a water pump change. It stopped it for a while but then it started again. The amount that leaks is tiny. I personally don't have any issues at all riding the bike with this. I just monitor it each time I stop.

People rode old bikes that leaked oil all over the place with few ill effects. My RSV4 wasn't faultless as far as coolant was concerned. The hose clamps were rubbish! I still rode it like I stole it, though.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 05:36 AM   #7

I Ride: 2013 1199S
If you posted a picture from where it came from then someone could tell you, if its pooling up around the allen screen then its not from the water pump as you can clearly see the trail of coolant stream.

Last edited by Halo2; Nov 23rd 2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 04:37 PM   #8

I Ride: 15 Pani R ( I weep a little sometimes )
I just realized the document bulletin second paragraph starts off with "..to ensure trouble free operation..."
Thanks from youngR
Old Dec 7th 2017, 12:42 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
I just realized the document bulletin second paragraph starts off with "..to ensure trouble free operation..."
It's encouraging ........ was hooning along the back roads of Cape Town today the ambient temp was some 40c felt hotter on my arms

In some places I was seeing an indicated speed 285- 298km/ per hour and then my mind went to the leak....and my back tyre

But I was suddenly comforted by the educated comments of some members on this forum and the augmentation to the new owners manual.
I quickly said to myself it's all ok there are very clever people who say it's normal

In any even I have now got to the bottom of it with the assistance from the ex bike mechanic who used to work on the bikes before the dealer opened in CT

Ye as he says a leak......= bullshit turns out it's a casting problem and that is why some leak and others don't, and factory can't admit it fearing a mass and expensive recall

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
leak, solutions, water