Ducati Forum

Ducati Forum (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-forum.php)
-   Ducati 1299 (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-1299/)
-   -   Engine oil (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-1299/29945-engine-oil.html)

DStyleNZL Nov 28th 2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyinp (Post 296971)
Anyone have tried Motorex RACING PRO 4T 15W50 -> https://www.motorexusa.com/collectio...g-pro-4t-15w50
apparently was designed for Ducati and Triumph , and when we thought Motul was most expensive :)

I used the xxW40 motorex once. swapped it after about 2 weeks. While riding in slow traffic the engine got noticeably more noiser like oild thining to much.
swapped back to Motul (even at same grade, but use 15W50 now) and never repeated the same level of noise as with Motorex.
But I live in the tropics so always very hot (30degC+ all year round)

I've still been meaning to try Total racing 15W50 and see what thats like as I use Total in my 4 wheel racing car (with a mix of Castrol/Redline gear oils)

Captain Greg Nov 28th 2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DStyleNZL (Post 296994)
I used the xxW40 motorex once. swapped it after about 2 weeks. While riding in slow traffic the engine got noticeably more noiser like oild thining to much.
swapped back to Motul (even at same grade, but use 15W50 now) and never repeated the same level of noise as with Motorex.
But I live in the tropics so always very hot (30degC+ all year round)

I've still been meaning to try Total racing 15W50 and see what thats like as I use Total in my 4 wheel racing car (with a mix of Castrol/Redline gear oils)

Thanks for the comment!
I use motorex in my KTM because the dealer has brain washed us it's do or die!

Myself a motul supporter I will change that too when the KTM is out of warranty

In the old days fuk oil was oil chsngevit every 5000 and forget about it!

I think there's much marketing in today's world that scares us consumers

crazyinp Nov 28th 2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Greg (Post 296999)
Thanks for the comment!

Same, I am using 10w50 power 4T from motorex on my KTM, however this one is completely different formula. Wonder if someone tried it.

DStyleNZL Nov 28th 2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

.....In the old days fuk oil was oil chsngevit every 5000 and forget about it!

Im only young, but didnt the old 60's/70's Ducati required "special" oil to be used. If you didnt use it the engine would pretty much wear out within a few 1000kms....

...or this just another Ducati urban legend?

Dereyter Dec 26th 2018 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LIQUI MOLY Motorbike 4T Street 15W-50

007 Dec 28th 2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the comment!

That and engines are far more advanced an running on a far more aggressive tune/setup from factory more than ever. Sky high compressions etc

Cinders Dec 29th 2018 07:04 AM

I do the oil & filter every 6,000klm Shell Advanced as thats what sits good with me I just feel these extra long intervals like 12,000klm before an oil/filter change are just too long.
Maybe it seems a bit stupid to some here and I am sure Ducati destroyed a plethora of engines coming up with those service intervals, thats fine for them they have the ball.
Me I like to ensure that my Duc's engines run well & will outlast me.......

cmh210 Dec 29th 2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinders (Post 326777)
I do the oil & filter every 6,000klm Shell Advanced as thats what sits good with me I just feel these extra long intervals like 12,000klm before an oil/filter change are just too long.
Maybe it seems a bit stupid to some here and I am sure Ducati destroyed a plethora of engines coming up with those service intervals, thats fine for them they have the ball.
Me I like to ensure that my Duc's engines run well & will outlast me.......

Its the mileage or 12 months, whichever comes first. Its printed in the back of the owner's manuals.

Cinders Dec 30th 2018 03:04 AM

I know I've read the manuals and thats fine for the intervals in there this is a personal thing, I bet the trackers here do not do 12,000klm's on their engine oil. Cheers :)

scotman623 Dec 30th 2018 08:44 AM

I change my oil every Race weekend, Motul 300V only.. Any top synthetic oil is great for street riding...