Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree33Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 14th 2018, 04:42 AM   #21

I Ride: A Frick'n Grom Mate
Ducati is the only smart manufacture. Why limit to 1000cc? If you have the resources to provide a 1100cc and a 1000cc for racing then more power to you. Who wouldn't want the extra cc's on the street?
Thanks from Nitrouz and crossdx

Old Jan 14th 2018, 05:22 AM   #22

I Ride: Panigale V4S (on order); 2017 ZX-10RR; 2014 Diavel Carbon (sold)
Originally Posted by Mutt1979 View Post
I get what you mean (1199cc twin). I suppose in my mind I'm just thinking the twin was allowed the extra cc, Ducati have made the move to 4 cylinders but don't want to give up that advantage. It's not cheating per say, but if the next gen of jap bikes/BMW/Aprillia etc get 210-215 bhp out of 1000cc then by comparison the Ducati would appear to be the lesser machine no? They've not achieved anything special, it's something any manufacturer could do by increasing the engine displacement.
I'm also looking forward to what the other manufacturers come up with, particularly the new S1000RR. It seems like it's shaping up to be a really impressive machine, based on the limited info that's trickled out so far.

With that said, I don't think Ducati's efforts can be discounted since the 1100cc V4, just as the 1299 before it, was designed to be a street bike with the knowledge that there would be a race-legal homologated version coming out after. Because of that, I don't really care terribly about how much they bloat the street trim version's engine, as long as it still rides like a Ducati superbike ought to. The R is mighty tempting however, and I just might trade in the S I have on order for an R in a few years time, and I'll be cheering for Chaz when he gets on one in 2019.

Hell, despite being 100cc bigger than the competition, I find it quite impressive they managed to keep the weight down as much as they did going to 4 cylinders. I'd be genuinely surprised if the new BMW and Aprilia superbikes are able to match it in that area even if they do more or less similar hp, so power to weight advantage should still go to the Panigale.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 05:42 PM   #23

I Ride: 2012 Panigale ABS
Again, I get what you mean (1199cc twin). I suppose in my mind I'm just thinking the twin was allowed the extra cc, Ducati have made the move to 4 cylinders but don't want to give up that advantage. It's not cheating per say, but if the next gen of jap bikes/BMW/Aprillia etc get 210-215 bhp out of 1000cc then by comparison the Ducati would appear to be the lesser machine no? They've not achieved anything special, it's something any manufacturer could do by increasing the engine displacement.
Huh? I don't even comprehend your point. Did you say the same thing when Kawasaki went to 636 with their "600". Or Triumph? I can just see the board room at the Japanese companies.... "you mean we could have done that and nobody here thought of it first?"
Thanks from Nitrouz
Old Jan 14th 2018, 06:47 PM   #24

I Ride: Speciale V4, Ducati 1199S; 1200 Enduro, Scrambler 1100 sport, 748R, 1098S
To Mutt1979

You are very negative, the bike hasn’t even been tested and released to the public.

I admit I am a one eyed Ducati tragic, and as such I have total faith in what they do. I brought the first Panigale under similar circumstances sight unseen and tested, when the so called Ducatisti went into meltdown over the new bike...no trellis frame, no under seat exhausts, no dry clutch, no tooth belts, less midrange than the 1198 etc etc.

If Ducati hadn’t gone that radical they would not be even close in racing SBK which is their focus. They pushed the twin to its limits and now need another radical departure to keep up with the 4’s

They have a great headstart with their motoGP engine and a special test rider in Casey Stoner. So now we will be blessed with a road going version and an R race version.

Ducati know that on the road the engine needed is different to what is required on the track, hence the 1100 road version. The track R will be a 1000 with different characteristics.

As for comparison tests with other 4 cylinder bikes, remember Ducati never do well in tests they are just too different, expensive and needs a committed rider.

I have been waiting a long time to have the opportunity to own a Ducati V4, so I am really excited.

If you don’t like it fine, you can sit back and enjoy how this all unfolds. Me I jumping in the deep end, same as I did with the 1199. Makes life fun and interesting.
Thanks from jjsC6, vqtt, Nitrouz and 4 others
Old Jan 15th 2018, 10:44 AM   #25

I Ride: Panigale V4S
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Huh? I don't even comprehend your point. Did you say the same thing when Kawasaki went to 636 with their "600". Or Triumph? I can just see the board room at the Japanese companies.... "you mean we could have done that and nobody here thought of it first?"
My point goes back to the OP. The comparisons made, although I acknowledge they aren't great, are also made to the BMW and the Ape. Although the new Ducati V4 is on top the reality is that either of these other manufacturers could easily replicate, if not better it, by adding the extra displacement to their engines.

It's not who did what first, I just think he does have a fair point. I was just highlighting the other manufacturers are still on 1000cc. Ducati didn't out engineer them, it just added cc.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 11:55 AM   #26

My point goes back to the OP. The comparisons made, although I acknowledge they aren't great, are also made to the BMW and the Ape. Although the new Ducati V4 is on top the reality is that either of these other manufacturers could easily replicate, if not better it, by adding the extra displacement to their engines.

It's not who did what first, I just think he does have a fair point. I was just highlighting the other manufacturers are still on 1000cc. Ducati didn't out engineer them, it just added cc.
And added, twin pulse firing and counter-rotating crank plus the 100cc!!!
Old Jan 15th 2018, 05:12 PM   #27

Originally Posted by jpanigale View Post
I donīt know why you keep wasting time answering him.:confuso:
Old Jan 15th 2018, 05:58 PM   #28

Oh I was bored. Waiting for the skittles to take effect....
Old Jan 15th 2018, 10:56 PM   #29

I Ride: Panigale V4S
Originally Posted by jpanigale View Post
MV have had a counter rotating crank for some time......

Big bang R1.......

Last edited by Mutt1979; Jan 16th 2018 at 02:24 AM.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 03:45 AM   #30

MV have had a counter rotating crank for some time......

Big bang R1.......
True, but not all in one engine!!
Thanks from JHTmcrider

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299, dyno, panigale, results

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.