Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 7th 2018, 08:11 PM   #1

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299
Ohlins fork question. Im clueless about this subject

Hey guys whats up? I have a base 2015 1299. Im looking into installing a bitubo rear shock and the bitubo drop ins. Someone offered me a bitubo rear shock and bitubo drop ins for a good price as a package. They have an S model and upgraded from the bitubo to a different setup. The rear shock will fit my bike. The front drop ins are made for a S model and wont fit my stock forks. And if I understood him correctly he said that if I bought the front and rear this would give me an excuse to buy ohlins forks. My questions are

1) Would I be able to buy Ohlins forks without anything in them so I could drop the bitubo cartridges in them?

2) If yes what ohlins model or part number?

3) If I decided to buy his set up and need to buy the Ohlins forks what would the benefit be between my stock forks and the ohlins forks? I would still be changing the insides of my stock forks or buying ohlins forks to install bitubo cartridges?

4) I thought its the internals of the forks that really matter mostly. Why would ohlins forks without their internals be better than my stock forks without internals?

As I said Im not that knowledgable on sport bike suspensions as I am on Harley suspensions where we usually swap out the rear with racetech or ohlins and the fronts get racetech gold emulators with spring or progressive monotube drop ins. Unless I do mc brothers front and install inverted forks with dual discs and radial mounted brake calipers

Old Jan 7th 2018, 08:21 PM   #2

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
Base model forks are 57mm. S model forks are 52mm. You'll also need a different triple clamp if you're going to get the S model forks. Don't think you can get the S forks without the internals from anywhere except an individual owner. Can't imagine shops offering forks without the internals. I wouldn't go that route unless you were practically getting that package for free because you'll have additional costs like having to buy different forks and different triples.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 09:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. After reading what you wrote about needing to change the triple trees as well I will stay with my forks and just get cartridges for my bike. I recently swapped out the top tree for a black cnc racing tree and dont want to have to try and sell it and take a loss and have to buy another set of triple trees. And if I cant buy just the forks without internals then I may as well get the bitubo or ohlins cartridges for my bike or just get the FGRT 203 front forks. Time to start doing some more research.

In your opinion which would be a better front cartridge choice? The Ohlins or Bitubo? Retail cost is $1300 on the ohlins and $1589 on the bitubo. Not a huge price difference. But just wondering what riders thoughts are on both the bitubo and ohlins
Old Jan 7th 2018, 09:12 PM   #4

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
I'm sure both options are more than great. The biggest difference for you as a consumer will be product support. There are tons of suspension info out there by top shelf techs who are well versed in the proper setup of ohlins suspension. Most suspension gurus know the ohlins stuff inside out since it is the most commonly used. This doesn't mean bitubo is an inferior product. It just means you may not be able to get the best possible support for your ideal setup and since you don't seem too knowledgeable about this stuff, I'd say go ohlins for peace of mind.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:09 PM   #5

Originally Posted by double0 View Post
I'm sure both options are more than great. The biggest difference for you as a consumer will be product support. There are tons of suspension info out there by top shelf techs who are well versed in the proper setup of ohlins suspension. Most suspension gurus know the ohlins stuff inside out since it is the most commonly used. This doesn't mean bitubo is an inferior product. It just means you may not be able to get the best possible support for your ideal setup and since you don't seem too knowledgeable about this stuff, I'd say go ohlins for peace of mind.
I feel like a 6th grader starting from scratch LOL.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 05:54 PM   #6

I Ride: 2013 1199S
Is everyone replacing the fork oil every 3 years as per the manual or just wait till the forks leaks.

Seams excessive when the bike mainly is a garage queen.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 06:32 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Halo2 View Post
Is everyone replacing the fork oil every 3 years as per the manual or just wait till the forks leaks.

Seams excessive when the bike mainly is a garage queen.
I first replaced mine after 4000kms during upgraded spring change out.
The oil was dark brown in color from a nice red only after 4000kms.

Fork seals were replaced at 15000kms and the "new" oil from the 4000kms was discolored and didnt smell to nice.

Most suspension guys say once a year. Learn how to do it yourself and you can save $$
Thanks from Halo2
Old Apr 5th 2018, 06:56 PM   #8

I Ride: 2013 1199S
What fork oil was used? 155cc is 155ml
Manual says 155
Íhlins says 160
Which one?

Nevermind
Looks like silkolene 02 SYNTHETIC RACING FORK FLUID matches closely to Íhlins and SHELL - Advance Fork 7.5

Last edited by Halo2; Apr 20th 2018 at 04:45 AM.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 07:38 PM   #9

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
Thanks for the reply. After reading what you wrote about needing to change the triple trees as well I will stay with my forks and just get cartridges for my bike. I recently swapped out the top tree for a black cnc racing tree and dont want to have to try and sell it and take a loss and have to buy another set of triple trees. And if I cant buy just the forks without internals then I may as well get the bitubo or ohlins cartridges for my bike or just get the FGRT 203 front forks. Time to start doing some more research.

In your opinion which would be a better front cartridge choice? The Ohlins or Bitubo? Retail cost is $1300 on the ohlins and $1589 on the bitubo. Not a huge price difference. But just wondering what riders thoughts are on both the bitubo and ohlins
I have an 1199S and have never found anything wrong with the Ohlins as they are. My thought.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 08:27 PM   #10

Originally Posted by bradp51 View Post
I have an 1199S and have never found anything wrong with the Ohlins as they are. My thought.
Did you swap your forks or just cartridges? And is there a huge difference between the stock 1299 base forks over the ohlins forks? Meaning base forks with ohlins cartridges or a full ohlins front with the forks and cartridges

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
clueless, fork, ohlins, question, subject