Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree12Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 09:26 AM   #11

I Ride: '16 Pani R, 1098R Bayliss.
Certain types of shafting/sealing arrangements do have such a set up. Others don't.
To have a sealing system that is designed to lose fluid medium for seal lubrication from a small fluid capacity
reserve, such as the closed few litres on a bike makes no sense whatsoever and is not necessary.
Its either shoddy product or assembly.

What you forget in a propshaft sealing arrangement is that apart from the pumping action
of the shaft rotation itself the only internal pressure is supplied artificially from either
static head or small pumps specifically designed to load one side of a lip seal
in preference to the other. As the draught of a vessel varies with ballast condition,
the seawater pressure trying to get in also varies, so the internal seal pressures have
small adjustability to maintain the balance. Too much pressure internally and the oil goes
out to sea. Too little and the sea comes in and screws with the oil charge.

There is no reason in modern machinery to have to choose seal that loses medium.
It may be desirable for certain seal or shaft materials to assist with lubrication,
but if that is the case here, then this pump shouldn't be on a bike.
Thanks from Nathanhu and Riki

Old Jan 22nd 2018, 08:18 PM   #12

I Ride: 2017 Hypermotard 939sp, 2016 Panigale 2008 ZX10R 2006 ZX10R 1999 ZX7R
If this is all normal and the ducati engineers designed the water-pump to leak, why didn't they put those weep hole hose on the weep hole, to begin with? Hmmm?
Thanks from jackgraves
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 11:52 PM   #13

I Ride: 2013 1199S
Originally Posted by SingleSided View Post
If this is all normal and the ducati engineers designed the water-pump to leak, why didn't they put those weep hole hose on the weep hole, to begin with? Hmmm?
If you spent 160K on a motorcycle and saw a drop of coolant you would be beyond pissed. This way it just dribbles to the ground

Sounds to me ducati going cheap in the water pump seals and same for the plastic driven water pump gears every other jap bike is metal gears and chain.

Mine doesn’t leak at all now

Last edited by Halo2; Jan 22nd 2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 12:03 AM   #14

I Ride: 1299 Panigale
So, I need to take my 1299 in for repairs.... It does not leak water from the weep hole. If it is normal to leak and mine does not leak surely there is something wrong?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 12:35 AM   #15

I Ride: Panigale V4S
Originally Posted by tinus675 View Post
So, I need to take my 1299 in for repairs.... It does not leak water from the weep hole. If it is normal to leak and mine does not leak surely there is something wrong?
Incorrect, it is deemed "acceptable" for you to experience some weeping, though Ducati are NOT saying this is a given. Yours might weep it might not. If it does and it is just that, a minor weep, don't worry about it. That's all there is to it. Not an ideal scenario on an expensive motorcycle but until they come up with a better solution than simply sticking a hose in place to allow escaped coolant to drain away, then you will have to live with it. In most cases the amount of water loss is negligible. What I would say is if it is constant and amounts to more than a few drops, i.e. it reappears on your next ride after you've cleaned away all the escaped coolant, then you should get the dealer to check it out.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 02:04 AM   #16

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale
It's not "designed to leak". A rotor seal will weep occasionally, no matter if it's a lip seal or a mechanical seal. But it's not "designed to leak".
Thanks from GoShow95
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 06:32 AM   #17

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - R1200GS Rallye X - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
My 959 leaked onto the floor the 899 did not and the 1199 hasn't yet.
Thanks from jackgraves
Old Jan 25th 2018, 07:47 AM   #18

It just reminds me my story about my flickering headlight on my Panigale.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 06:18 PM   #19

I Ride: 2016 1299 Panigale
The 1299 Superleggera has a Weep Hole hose and a Catch Can. Guess you gotta spend 80K for this to be a factory installed Part

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old Jan 27th 2019, 09:34 PM   #20

These bikes are mass produced by a company that doesn't do such a hot job at mass production. There are a lot of inconsistencies on the part of the assemblers and these motors are glued together so that matters. I have also stated many times that I love the Ducati platform but I am not at all a fan of the components that they use right down to the garbage hardware holding the things together. I recently bought a spare shift cover in the box at the dealer and the rear was not even machined for the selector cam. It left the factory that way and it now has a plain bearing instead of the roller. The stuff is getting more expensive and the quality is sliding further. The bike is now too sophisticated electrically for the mechanics to fix and like the 99s, is an absolute jigsaw puzzle to work on. As long as they are selling bikes, this isn't going to change. If I did not have the luxury of building and maintaining what I build, I would seriously be riding something else. I feel bad for anyone who spends 30K on a bike that is fed that BS. And yes, if you do not have to have the first year bike, don't buy it especially from this mfg. They still have a shit load of issues with the last model that were never fixed.
Thanks from Blade Runner

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
leaks, water