Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree7Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:08 PM   #1

I Ride: KTM Duke R 1299 Pani YZF450 Saxon
V4 water leaks as well!!!

Ok this is your friendly plumber ...for those of you who have been following my threads on the water leak I suffer with my 1299?

The factory is already covering the issue with the new V4 seems water leaks from the pump seal are just normal.

Very disappointing I must add......attention to Jpanigale read the tech release I add before you guys jump down my throat!

V4 water pump leak.JPG

Old Jan 22nd 2018, 12:16 AM   #2

I Ride: 1299s 2016 with Evo update and 1199s 2012 'project' bike
so due to this unrecovered loss system, do they now advise a visual check routine to control the rate of fluid loss?

on the technical aspects of this 'solution' I don't think its a great mechanism. as what's the difference between normal weeping and a leak? and is this defined in the user handbook...
most cooling systems run on glycol based mixture which is very slippery if you get it on your tire.
and how they could defend this statement in the event of an accident after coolant is found to have trace marks on the motor/ frame etc.
might be difficult to fight liability on this front..
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 01:24 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Nathanhu View Post
so due to this unrecovered loss system, do they now advise a visual check routine to control the rate of fluid loss?

on the technical aspects of this 'solution' I don't think its a great mechanism. as what's the difference between normal weeping and a leak? and is this defined in the user handbook...
most cooling systems run on glycol based mixture which is very slippery if you get it on your tire.
and how they could defend this statement in the event of an accident after coolant is found to have trace marks on the motor/ frame etc.
might be difficult to fight liability on this front..
This has been my bug bear with my 1299< but I have had my ass kicked raw from the Ducati loyalists on this forum with me trying to get to the bottom of the leak, weep, sweat, water fuking drip issue!

I have owned upwards of 30 bikes in my miserable life and have never had to concern myself with a "accepted water leak"

After reading this and after the troubles I have had with my 1299 Im unsure I will become a V4 owner
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 02:02 AM   #4
Phl

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, CRF50, GROM, bionicon supershuttle
It’s not a fault, it’s a feature

Said the italian engineer after discovering his shitty design and finding no solution to fix it way into the program
Thanks from GunMoto
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 02:41 AM   #5

I Ride: 1299s 2016 with Evo update and 1199s 2012 'project' bike
yep it seems like a poor excuse to me,

if this was any of the motors I have worked on over the last 25 years I would be condemning the water pump seal as the hole is has a tell tail function to let you know the bearings are probably next...
unless we now require water pump seals to be lubricated, via the coolant.....

I spoke to my dealer about this, and how we laughed when I told him I would be returning the bike if mine did this...
my answer was, you wouldn't expect it on a vw polo, I don't expect it on a 20k plus bike..

lets see how it develops as if I had a crash, and there was fluid on the engine, I would be pushing for repair/ replacement if I could associate a lack of traction to the incident..
fingers crossed that wont be the case...
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 05:33 AM   #6

I Ride: A Frick'n Grom Mate
Got It!!!...
Man I feel poorly...
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 06:06 AM   #7

I Ride: '16 Pani R, 1098R Bayliss, KTM1090R.
I had this with a KTM RC8, where the pump was rebuilt 3 times in as many months.
I got rid of it. I believe that a new seal part was employed by KTM later in production.

I'm with Nathanhu on this. I'm an ex chief engineer from ships and have worked of hundreds
of pumps of various design over the years. The hole is a tell tale to keep you appraised of the state of your seal pack.
Anything more than the occasional couple of drops on start up isn't acceptable.
If it is weeping regularly something is wrong, and it will get worse over time before leading to a more significant failure.
Thanks from Nathanhu
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 07:16 AM   #8

I Ride: Motorcycles
I'm not buying any more first year production bikes from ANY manufacturer. Be patient and let the bugs get worked out. Hard to do with all the hype, but beats getting 10 recall notices.
Thanks from 990Glen
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 09:23 AM   #9

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale
Originally Posted by 990Glen View Post
I had this with a KTM RC8, where the pump was rebuilt 3 times in as many months.
I got rid of it. I believe that a new seal part was employed by KTM later in production.

I'm with Nathanhu on this. I'm an ex chief engineer from ships and have worked of hundreds
of pumps of various design over the years. The hole is a tell tale to keep you appraised of the state of your seal pack.
Anything more than the occasional couple of drops on start up isn't acceptable.
If it is weeping regularly something is wrong, and it will get worse over time before leading to a more significant failure.
If you're familiar with ships and shaft seals, Are you familiar with leakage control systems? This is basically the same thing, except it bleeds to environment instead of tank/bilge. And even double seals on output shafts weep all the time...
Thanks from MotoX183

Last edited by TurboLag; Jan 22nd 2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:17 AM   #10

Originally Posted by TurboLag View Post
If you're familiar with ships and shaft seals, Are you familiar with leakage control systems? This is basically the same thing, except it bleeds to environment instead of tank/bilge. And even double seals on output shafts weep all the time...
I'm familiar with many things (ok so I'm just a dumb pilot) but I hold a BSc in electrical engineering, so it gives me a basic understanding of stuff 💡
If a seal is/ was made to leak then the system would cater for fluid replacement at certain intervals......now boys have any of you done a coolant check top up on a Panigale?..
It's fukin unfriendly and I doubt it was designed to be checked on a regular basis.

So I'm fukin unhappy about my 1299 leaking I doubt I will invest almost R7000.00 on theV4 now reading about the leak.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
leaks, water