Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree41Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 26th 2018, 11:35 PM   #21

Happened to me once with my 748R racebike. And have seen that happening several times. I mean the real cause.

To me with rear brake. Race footpegs had been recently installed. But apparently brake lever was in a position that reservoir hole was closed in master cylinder. Some laps, brake fluid expansion and rear brake caught in fire and jammed the rear wheel.

Once I saw one guy making a front flip at the end oh fast main straight at 240kmh. Totalled his R1 there. In previous weekend he had dropped his bike at the pit on to the right side. Front brake lever was a bit bend, but he thought it was just the end of it. But apparently in a way that it also blocked the reservoir hole and jammed front wheel.

And I personally have seen several cases like this, betting my money in this case resulting hub overheating and melting spokes.

Old Jan 27th 2018, 08:31 AM   #22

I remember another BST wheel failure at Thunderhill a number of years ago. It was also quite catastrophic. But, let's be real, this can happen with most wheels.

I find the rider's theory of liability interesting,but not all that likely to succeed. I believe he is saying that Ducati is liable for the rear brake failure and that the rear brake failure cause the disintegration of the wheel. If that is the case, Ducati would be liable.

However, there are so many possible reasons why the brake overheated (if that is what happened), it will be difficult to prove that Ducati's negligence in the design or manufacture caused it. Isn't it just as likely that the person servicing the rear brakes put the pads in the wrong way, or installed the rearsets improperly so that the brakes were dragging?

Anyway, bottom line is that everyone on the track should be give their own bike a once over before heading out onto the track. It is your own health that is at stake.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 09:51 AM   #23

He has rearsets. provably bad adjust of pedal brake.
Thanks from MotoX183
Old Jan 27th 2018, 11:54 AM   #24

I Ride: 2015 1299s, 2009 675SE
Well I fell of my trumpet at rockingham last September. Bent and snapped rear brake lever. The master cylinder to lever mount broke leaving them disconnected. I made sure the M/c wasn’t fouled and stuck on and rode home. On the way the remains of the lever moved and put pressure on the M/C putting the brake on slightly. Needless to say it bound on the A1 and was glowing like a bastard. The heat transfer to the rim and tyre was unbelievable. I couldn’t touch the rim. So I can well believe the CF can get very hot.

Someone mentioned helicopter blades. Well they are ‘lifed’ like many components. After so many flying hours they are scrapped. I used to work on a helicopter that also had a composite main rotor head (carbon fibre, fibreglass mix), when more efficient but heavier blades were fitted to it a ‘penalty life’ (ie 1 flying hour with heavier blades was equal to 1.5 flying hours with Normal blades) was applied to the rotor head. This meant that the rotor head could be serviced earlier/scrapped as required before failure. As a rule metal fails over time progressively, composites catastrophically fails. Example being when you exceed the elastic limit metal will bend and not return to its original shape CF just fractures. Just like when I left the disc lock on my 1299s!

Last edited by Southwest; Jan 27th 2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 12:26 PM   #25

I Ride: 2016 Ducati Panigale 1299 S
Why is this tread titled BST Wheel Failure?
Thanks from vanduc996 and HeronB
Old Jan 27th 2018, 01:07 PM   #26

Originally Posted by AmpForE View Post
Why is this tread titled BST Wheel Failure?
From Post #1
Copied his version of the events:
***Panigale 1299S with BST carbon wheels alert***
My BST rear wheel came off at Chuckwalla a
Old Jan 27th 2018, 03:07 PM   #27

Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post

....... If that is the case, Ducati would be liable.

Modified Bike on a Race track. Search in the PDS and under what is covered:

d) Installation of components/accessories and modifications to the bike that are not approved by Ducati;

f) Bikes used in any kind of sporting competition;
Old Jan 27th 2018, 03:43 PM   #28

I Ride: 2016 Panigale R
Oh boy.....
Old Jan 27th 2018, 05:24 PM   #29

Originally Posted by DStyleNZL View Post

d) Installation of components/accessories and modifications to the bike that are not approved by Ducati;

None of that means anything in an American court of law, if any of this goes in that direction..
Old Jan 28th 2018, 01:23 PM   #30

Originally Posted by DStyleNZL View Post

As ChrisE said, in California, that disclaimer dopes not automatically absolve Ducati from liability.

You are generally not allowed to prohibit the use of aftermarket components in California or to deny a warranty claim just because of an aftermarket component unless they contributed to the damage. It is possible that the rearsets contributed or even were the cause, but I can't tell from my armchair.

Similarly, riding on the track is not necessarily "a sporting competition". We don't know whether he timed his runs, much less tried to "compete" against anyone else. He had the number 58 on his bike, but unless his name is Simoncelli, it is unlikely he ever raced it.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
bst, failure, wheel