Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree41Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 25th 2018, 03:51 PM   #1

BST Wheel Failure

This is not my bike.

I think this guy is on this forum, but don't know the username. Here is his IG: https://www.instagram.com/ducjockey58/

Copied his version of the events:
***Panigale 1299S with BST carbon wheels alert***
My BST rear wheel came off at Chuckwalla after the rear brake dragged and eventually caught fire. The carbon wheel disintegrated and separated from the bike at approximately 130 mph on a straight. Riders that I passed saw the rear wheel/hub glowing red and on fire before it came off. There was no indication of any performance degradation at all before the incident. Many have speculated about the cause... Rear sets, dragging toe on brake lever, bad fluid etc. Those factors (and more) have been eliminated. The bike is only serviced by the dealer and parts are only purchased through the dealer. These wheels are the same ones found on the Superleggera factory delivered bike. A serious condition exists where this can potentially be fatal. I have owned every generation of Ducati Superbike for more than 20 years, beginning with the 851. I still have many of them and they are meticulously maintained by certified technicians, yet this still happened. Beware of rear caliper issues and beware of the risk of carbon fiber wheels potentially exposed to excessive rear brake heat. Unfortunately, Ducati North America “sees no element that can lead to a Ducati responsibility in the event”. Warranty will not cover this. You’re on your own! Anyone who witnessed this happen at Chuckwalla, feel free to DM me and share your info please. I am extremely disappointed that this happened, but even more disappointed that I have been left for dead by Ducati after being a loyal Ducati family member my entire adult life. I truly hope that this doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Shame about the bike and I'm glad the rider is OK but to be clear, those are definitely NOT wheels from the SL. This guy is either mis-informed or confused. Personally I fail to see how DucatiUSA would be at all responsible for this.

I'll withhold other opinion but thought you would all be interested in seeing this story/photos.

Last edited by NW1299; Jan 25th 2018 at 03:54 PM.

Old Jan 25th 2018, 04:11 PM   #2

This is most unfortunate and scary, but glad the rider is ok. Yeah, he likely can't go after Ducati for this one. He was racing the bike on a track with aftermarket equipment, and it is highly unlikely that the factory 1299s wheel would have failed under similar conditions.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 04:19 PM   #3

I Ride: A Frick'n Grom Mate
Nothing beats Forged Alloy wheels for strength...
Thanks from Mr C
Old Jan 25th 2018, 06:32 PM   #4

There is a reason that motogp and WSB do not permit CF wheels. Now you see why.
Thanks from MotoX183
Old Jan 25th 2018, 09:39 PM   #5

Glad the rider is okay firstly.

Agree that it seems like there wouldn't be any claim against Ducati USA - unless of course it is possible to prove that the chain of events that started the accident was caused by a faulty standard brake part.

Is it an inherent property of CF - i.e. that it degrades and loses strength/form when exposed to fire/heat? If that's the case then I'd say any CF wheel (including those on the SL) would have also failed in the event of a rear brake fire.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 11:48 PM   #6

I Ride: KTM Duke R 1299 Pani YZF450 Saxon
Originally Posted by jpanigale View Post
Nothing beats Forged Alloy wheels for strength...
you saved me some cash with this comment

Glad the rider is ok !
Thanks from AaronJ
Old Jan 26th 2018, 12:43 AM   #7

I Ride: 1299 Base
First I am glad the rider is okay.

Now I have CF RotoBox wheels. I only track my bike and I have never had an issue. I am sure many here have had CF wheels for years without issue. I am sure some have had issues. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water cause of this. Unless this is like the 3rd failure in 3 months and now there is a recall on a particular series/ batch of them.

I'd like to see BST get involved with what happened to try and get a definitive cause.

I'm sure heat can be a contributing factor. Having said that I've been in the Aviation industry for almost 3 decades and Carbon Fiber is a staple of design and manufacturing. I can't see a 180 plus HP motorcycle engine creating more fatigue than lets say 5Gs and 80,000 pounds of thrust. Or, the 400 plus miles and hour a rotor blade turns on a helicopter.

Just saying.
Thanks from highside49
Old Jan 26th 2018, 02:42 AM   #8

I Ride: All of them
Originally Posted by Thamer View Post
First I am glad the rider is okay.

Now I have CF RotoBox wheels. I only track my bike and I have never had an issue. I am sure many here have had CF wheels for years without issue. I am sure some have had issues. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water cause of this. Unless this is like the 3rd failure in 3 months and now there is a recall on a particular series/ batch of them.

I'd like to see BST get involved with what happened to try and get a definitive cause.

I'm sure heat can be a contributing factor. Having said that I've been in the Aviation industry for almost 3 decades and Carbon Fiber is a staple of design and manufacturing. I can't see a 180 plus HP motorcycle engine creating more fatigue than lets say 5Gs and 80,000 pounds of thrust. Or, the 400 plus miles and hour a rotor blade turns on a helicopter.

Just saying.
Has you're rear brake ever caught on fire? Seems that was the cause of this failure.

I still wouldn't put CF wheels on my racebikes but that's more of a return on investment thing than safety.

I also wouldn't want to subject them to 2 or 3 heavy handed tire changes per weekend expecting them to come back without scratches, wheel weight goo and everything else that comes with the rigors of racing.

But it's not like other materials never fail. Find the video of Maxime Berger racing in WSBK. He had a rear wheel failure and it was quite spectacular.
Thanks from Thamer
Old Jan 26th 2018, 03:34 AM   #9

I Ride: Some pretty amazing Ducatis
I think that the point of contention in regards to the issue/claim that Ducati bears some culpability here is that there was some kind of rear brake failure. Specifically it’s being speculated that there was a rear abs sensor or module failure which resulted in the bike’s rear brake being “applied” without the rider’s pushing on the pedal. That led to the heat, which led to the fire, which led to the wheel failure.

I am not an expert so I can’t judge that properly but before people dismiss this out of hand, I think it’s important to understand where the guy is coming from.
Thanks from Dingo
Old Jan 26th 2018, 04:08 AM   #10

I Ride: A Frick'n Grom Mate
Race bike plus aftermarket wheels equals no liability on Ducati...
CF has great properties but for a wheel and safety not worth it..
Only takes once at high speed..Save the carbon for non rotating parts..
Spend the 4K on track coaching!!

Captain Greg, glad I saved you the $$$
You owe me a pint!!
Thanks from Macattack

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
bst, failure, wheel