Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree24Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 26th 2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
DucatiTerminator's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2018
From: Southern California

Posts: 263
Thanks: 101

Panigale Virgin -- Be Gentle ;)

Alright fellow Hooligans

I'm finally able to pull the trigger on a Panigale -- I'm not new to bikes or Ducati for that matter, but I am new to the Panigale. FWIW, I have almost put myself on an "information diet" since they first came out for fear of wanting one so badly that I neglected some unexpected and bullshit financial obligations at the time. In fact, to date I've never ridden one, which for anyone who knows me, is almost unbelievable. So fast forward to now, and I've made the big push to get into a Panigale twin as Ducati enters the era of the V4.

I've combed through the New User section and done a fair amount of research -- I'm aware of the waterpump seepage issue, heat complaints, and Brembo M/C recall. Are there any other issues/warnings/areas of concern I need to know about (other than nail polish color, moonwalking tips, and anti-Rossi rhetoric, lol)?

Thanks in advance!

Alvin
Thanks from The Avidmoto and Dingo
DucatiTerminator is offline  
 
Old Jan 26th 2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
able duc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2016
From: Mid Nth Coast NSW

Posts: 850
Thanks: 289

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - R1200GS Rallye X - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
Yes well this is certainly a good time to leap in since the V4 madness has happened.

I think you've covered a few issues that some have had but with all brands there will be problems that just happen. Servicing, general condition and how it's been used as you know will be the things to think about. I've had 3 and had a pretty good run.

Welcome, enjoy and hope you get a cracker of a deal
Thanks from DucatiTerminator
able duc is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2018, 11:26 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2016
From: Cape town

Posts: 405
Thanks: 111

I Ride: KTM Duke R 1299 Pani YZF450 Saxon
Welcome to Ducati ownership 😁
Get prepared to be insulted by those who have many Ducati's
Get prepared for huge bills, get prepared to find that after a great ride a nice cold beer and a good clean of your baby that suddenly she develops an issue....for no reason.....all things that never happen with a Jap bike.

That said be prepared to spend unforgettable moments just looking at it....also something we never do with a Jap bike

Greg
Thanks from DucatiTerminator
Captain Greg is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2018, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2016
From: PNW

Posts: 663
Thanks: 490

My 1299 has 4k miles, mostly track use. The only real maintenance issue I've had is leaking fork seals.

Heat issues are over exaggerated. Of course, if you're crawling in traffic or parked at street lights she will get warm quick, but why are you putting yourself in that situation on a Panigale anyways?

Ride it, service it when you're supposed to, and enjoy ownership. The bike is amazing.
NW1299 is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2018, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
DucatiTerminator's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2018
From: Southern California

Posts: 263
Thanks: 101

Originally Posted by able duc View Post
Yes well this is certainly a good time to leap in since the V4 madness has happened.

I think you've covered a few issues that some have had but with all brands there will be problems that just happen. Servicing, general condition and how it's been used as you know will be the things to think about. I've had 3 and had a pretty good run.

Welcome, enjoy and hope you get a cracker of a deal
Thank you. Past few bikes have been used, but this time I'm buying new and counting on most things being covered under warranty should they arise. I've had pretty good luck with bikes in general, Ducati's included, but most of them are are a decade or older and generally relatively low mileage.

Originally Posted by Captain Greg View Post
Welcome to Ducati ownership 😁
Get prepared to be insulted by those who have many Ducati's
Get prepared for huge bills, get prepared to find that after a great ride a nice cold beer and a good clean of your baby that suddenly she develops an issue....for no reason.....all things that never happen with a Jap bike.

That said be prepared to spend unforgettable moments just looking at it....also something we never do with a Jap bike

Greg
Thanks, Greg. I'm pretty thick skinned and don't mind insults. Usually, they're in good fun.
I have three kids, two of whom are teenagers. Huge bills are par for the course at this stage of my life, lol. I've had more than my fair share of Jap bikes, and yes, they have all been rather issue-free. But not one of them has excited me the way your hot fitness milf excites you (see, I DO understand lol). Most of the Ducati's I've ridden do.

I can relate to your last comment. I've never owned a Jap bike that I walk away from while facing her (then again, I've never owned a RC-30/45, NR750, R7, etc.), however, I can't count how many times I've looked at Ducati's with the eyes of a 10-year old schoolboy.
DucatiTerminator is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2018, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
DucatiTerminator's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2018
From: Southern California

Posts: 263
Thanks: 101

Originally Posted by NW1299 View Post
My 1299 has 4k miles, mostly track use. The only real maintenance issue I've had is leaking fork seals.

Heat issues are over exaggerated. Of course, if you're crawling in traffic or parked at street lights she will get warm quick, but why are you putting yourself in that situation on a Panigale anyways?

Ride it, service it when you're supposed to, and enjoy ownership. The bike is amazing.
Thank you. I'm not too worried about the heat. LA traffic is a bitch even though we can split lanes, and I don't plan on commuting on her anyways. I'm hoping my schedule and budget allows me to get some track time. Hoping to dust off the old leathers and see how slow I've become lol
DucatiTerminator is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: So Cal

Posts: 532
Thanks: 150

I Ride: A Frick'n Grom Mate
Congrats you frickn loser....
Thanks from DucatiTerminator
jpanigale is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2018, 03:26 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
DucatiTerminator's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2018
From: Southern California

Posts: 263
Thanks: 101

Umm, that's Kingfricknloser to you... LOL

<-- frickn loser with a Panigale now
Thanks from jpanigale
DucatiTerminator is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2018, 06:30 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
DucatiTerminator's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2018
From: Southern California

Posts: 263
Thanks: 101

Is there a preferred integrated taillight that is close to OEM build quality yet visible in bright daylight? Or would you recommend a fender eliminator with mini turn signals. My goal is to clean up the rear (for artwork) while losing weight (functional). I've used Competition Werkes many years ago on a few bikes, but they weren't that bright. I know that LED technology has improved since then. Are there better options?
DucatiTerminator is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2018, 07:01 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: South Africa

Posts: 204
Thanks: 72

I Ride: 1299 Panigale
Best bike I have ever had.
Thanks from DucatiTerminator
tinus675 is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
gentle, panigale, virgin



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ducati virgin and soon to be owner! Pickles1199 New Users 16 Aug 1st 2013 02:16 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed