Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree9Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 19th 2018, 09:04 PM   #11

I Ride: KTM Duke R 1299 Pani YZF450 Saxon
Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
A politician, no, I'm not sure what you are implying with that remark. If it is any of your business I'm an Electrical Engineer. Not too difficult is relative to ability I suppose.

A common trick with temp sensors is to change the calibration of the temp sensor with some passive components, resistors typically. I'm not going to do it to my bike as I don't really see any advantage to it.

Also I am not obligated in any way to expand on any comments I make, just as you aren't. If you held everyone in this forum to your high standards there would be no posts. I'll keep an eye on yours and see if you can even live up to what you require of others.

Cheers

Mabye read my first post in this thread......is that not almost what I said?
Now if I was an engineer I would have added the details... that adds value, broad strokes are for politicians
Most engineers I know furnish in depth detail

Old Feb 20th 2018, 12:44 PM   #12

Originally Posted by Captain Greg View Post
Mabye read my first post in this thread......is that not almost what I said?
I see that you did provide some information so my apologies, but you used the term rheostat which immediately gave me the impression you didn't know what you were talking about so I skipped the rest.

Now if I was an engineer I would have added the details... that adds value, broad strokes are for politicians
Most engineers I know furnish in depth detail
Well bully for you. Generalisations about engineers you know are worthless unless you provide citations. We must uphold standards you know.

Cheers
Thanks from able duc
Old Feb 20th 2018, 09:58 PM   #13

I see that you did provide some information so my apologies, but you used the term rheostat which immediately gave me the impression you didn't know what you were talking about so I skipped the rest.

Well bully for you. Generalisations about engineers you know are worthless unless you provide citations. We must uphold standards you know.

Cheers
O Dear...another clever one..Cosmic I used the word rheostat, because I am not sure if it should have been a variable resistor or a Triac or some other electronic switching devise..I do not claim to be an engineer, I came to this thread looking for detailed advise.
Im one who would like to reduce my bikes temps in traffic and have a genuine interest in achieving this, you come to the thread with BROAD STROKES and offer no real value apart from blasting a guy who is not as clever as you (or so you think)

Rather than ridicule me for not having your superior Knowledge why dont you table some values and give detailed in depth description on how to achieve what you describe in your first post.

Im certain this would add value and many members would benefit....but willing to bet you cant get below the line of broad strokes

You see where you and I differ is Im on the planet to teach people in my trade and to pass on knowledge that will one day add value to their lives, I dont have an ego when a person less than me asks for help and Im able to offer it.....I can see why you and daffy duc are forum bum chums both have narcissistic attitudes
Old Feb 20th 2018, 11:01 PM   #14

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - R1200GS Rallye X - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
Warm and fuzzy greg but you arrived with arrogance and delusions of grandure and I think others as well as me had thoughts of tosser. If you don’t get what you want you cry like a baby and put shit on all who come before you oh King Shit!

Who was it that said the cry baby thing all the time?
And where is Prince Albert?
Old Feb 20th 2018, 11:26 PM   #15

So basically fudging the temperature input sensor (or thermocouple) to turn the fan on sooner? Does anyone know what the resistance of the thermocouple is when the fan turns on. Would Just putting a resistor in Parallel with the thermocouple do the trick?
Old Feb 21st 2018, 12:56 AM   #16

Originally Posted by Chill View Post
So basically fudging the temperature input sensor (or thermocouple) to turn the fan on sooner? Does anyone know what the resistance of the thermocouple is when the fan turns on. Would Just putting a resistor in Parallel with the thermocouple do the trick?
Yes I would think your on the correct path, but if we parallel we reduce the ohm, it may be that we need to increase the resistance.
If one of the members had one out it would be useful to simulate it in a pot of water on a stove and see if the resistance rises or falls as it heats up by watching a multimeter
Then with a probe reading temp read it's value at 104C as this seems to be where it switches ? Just my basic thinking
If it came on at say 90C it could maintain a lower operating temp in trafffic is my thinking.

I am told that it's not possible to adjust this fan on/off in the software of the bike in its standard form, pretty much locked like the first 20% of the ignition map that controlled the mixture at idle and low throttle settings, aparantly this is to stop us from tampering with the emissions regs?
Old Feb 21st 2018, 01:33 AM   #17

Yes I would think your on the correct path, but if we parallel we reduce the ohm, it may be that we need to increase the resistance.
If one of the members had one out it would be useful to simulate it in a pot of water on a stove and see if the resistance rises or falls as it heats up by watching a multimeter
Then with a probe reading temp read it's value at 104C as this seems to be where it switches ? Just my basic thinking
If it came on at say 90C it could maintain a lower operating temp in trafffic is my thinking.

I am told that it's not possible to adjust this fan on/off in the software of the bike in its standard form, pretty much locked like the first 20% of the ignition map that controlled the mixture at idle and low throttle settings, aparantly this is to stop us from tampering with the emissions regs?
Must read the manual and see if there is any values that might tell us what the resistance will be at 104C them we might be able to work out what value resistor we might need
Old Feb 21st 2018, 12:38 PM   #18

O Dear...another clever one..Cosmic I used the word rheostat, because I am not sure if it should have been a variable resistor or a Triac or some other electronic switching devise..I do not claim to be an engineer, I came to this thread looking for detailed advise.
Im one who would like to reduce my bikes temps in traffic and have a genuine interest in achieving this, you come to the thread with BROAD STROKES and offer no real value apart from blasting a guy who is not as clever as you (or so you think)

Rather than ridicule me for not having your superior Knowledge why dont you table some values and give detailed in depth description on how to achieve what you describe in your first post.

Im certain this would add value and many members would benefit....but willing to bet you cant get below the line of broad strokes

You see where you and I differ is Im on the planet to teach people in my trade and to pass on knowledge that will one day add value to their lives, I dont have an ego when a person less than me asks for help and Im able to offer it.....I can see why you and daffy duc are forum bum chums both have narcissistic attitudes
You are the one that came in all high and mighty calling me out for just making a harmless comment. If I had details I would have posted them but I only tried to indicate that their were some possibilities that people could look into if they were interested.

You don't know anything about me yet here you are passing judgment on me. I teach too, I teach Computer Engineering but where I work we guide people to investigate and look for answers for themselves.

And now you are using insulting language about my sexuality and even insulting someone else on this forum.

You really are a piece of work.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 12:52 PM   #19

Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Must read the manual and see if there is any values that might tell us what the resistance will be at 104C them we might be able to work out what value resistor we might need
Temp sensors are pretty generic and you may be able to track down the actual part used. The resistance curve should then be available from the data book of the manufacturer.

In practice it may be far easier to put a potentiometer in series with the sensor and adjust it until the fans come on at whatever tmp you want. Temp sensors are usually thermistors and resistance goes down with increase in temperature.

This is a typical data sheet:

http://peltd.com/assets/coolant_temp.pdf

Cheers
Thanks from Chill
Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:32 PM   #20

I Ride: 2016 AWS 959
...In practice it may be far easier to put a potentiometer in series with the sensor and adjust it until the fans come on at whatever tmp you want...
^^^^
THIS is what I meant!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299, cooler, degrees, found, interesting, run, video, youtube