Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree12Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 25th 2018, 10:13 PM   #11

I Ride: KTM Duke R 1299 Pani YZF450 Saxon
Originally Posted by Halo2 View Post
Ducati put a connector in for a reason, I have never seen anyone else with a stuffed connector/bad loom.
Yes....the reason is to speed up production during assembly of the bike at production. One cannot on a production line do bespoke work!
Removing the connector in this case is no issue unless the OP intends to regularly strip down the bike
I have built a few custom bikes (hobby) and I often build the loom in a way that it's unseen and hidden, this takes hours compared to a std loom that is exposed and cable tied to a frame.
Thanks from jjsC6 and Firemike

Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:12 AM   #12

I Ride: 2015 1299 S
Update on the fix

Just wanted to update on what I eventually did to fingerout my shameful electrical connector fiasco. Hopefully the pictures will post because I tried to document everything in case others find it useless. First off, the connectors. The best OEM style connectors I could find of this particular type was from a company in the UK called Bike Sport Developments. They were EXTREMELY helpful identifying the specific connector and linking that up with the connector kits they have in stock. They also sell proper crimping tools which worked dandy. For refer, the replacement connector and pin set was stock C34C-DU1 4 Way CAN bus Connector Set. I ordered a fistful since I had never done anything like this before and wanted to practice before attempting the real deal. Be forewarned, shipping does take more than a minute from the UK. When they finally arrived they looked the part.

Searching on BoobTube resulted on an education on how to crimp and install pins on electrical connectors. Shit I figured I color with crayons, put erector sets and Legos together as a kid, I can handle this. So when I practiced pre drinking I also practiced with some lesser versions I found on the Walmartazon.

Tools needed: Optional Bushmills or Valium, readers and or magnifier, a gazillion candlepower light source, connectors, pins, shrink tube, cloth tape, strippers Ė either kind, and I would recommend Engineer PA-09 Connector Pliers Made In Japan specifically Ė no joke.

The following photos should speak for themselves. I know my repairs are beginner level, but I donít anticipate an inspection from Her Queens NASA, so spare me the beaking unless its constructive. Extra thanks to Captain Greg and others that provided the encouragement to take this task on. It saved me God only knows how much from taking it to my local stealership. More importantly, I got an education out of it and can do it again if need be. Not to mention the quality time spent with my girl - priceless. The final connector was shrink wrapped to keep the electrocity at bay, so it now looks like a fine connectasaurus. Most of all, it worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (7.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg female1.jpg (8.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Female2.jpg (9.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg male1.jpg (14.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg male2.jpg (19.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg both.jpg (24.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg both2.jpg (29.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg wrap.jpg (35.1 KB, 38 views)
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:42 AM   #13

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
I don't see why anyone would talk shit. Looks like a good job to me. Plus, you didn't get raped and decided to do it yourself. Good on you.
Thanks from Firemike
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:22 AM   #14

I Ride: 2012 1199 Pani S
Nice job and thanks for sharing the solution :-)
Thanks from Firemike
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:28 AM   #15

I Ride: 2016 AWS 959
Nicely done! I was happy to provide the correct connectors and tools to do it properly. Glad you took the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks from Firemike
Old Mar 26th 2018, 05:22 PM   #16

I Ride: 2016 Panigale R
Good work! No Black Tape bandit, a high quality fix!
Thanks from Firemike
Old Mar 27th 2018, 11:20 AM   #17

https://www.corsa-technic.com/

sells any Ducati plugs your need.
Thanks from Firemike
Old Mar 29th 2018, 08:37 PM   #18

AM i missing something here? Only one wire is cut and you have plenty of meat left for a butt-splice. 30 second fix. Am I not seeing something else? Why are people talking about replacing connectors, this that and the other???
Old Mar 31st 2018, 04:53 PM   #19

I Ride: 2015 1299 S
Originally Posted by MdDuc View Post
AM i missing something here? Only one wire is cut and you have plenty of meat left for a butt-splice. 30 second fix. Am I not seeing something else? Why are people talking about replacing connectors, this that and the other???

The connector failed for an unknown reason. As stated originally, the wire pulled out of the back of the connector and would not reseat. Thatís why I replaced the connector. If I could have de-pinned the connector I would have, but it wasnít releasing. I just thought it best to replace the entire thing instead of just a quick fix. I also got an education and learned another skill in the process. Now I know how to do it if need be. Your right probably could have been handled quicker and cheaper. But I wasnít in a rush - No harm, no foul. And I wanted to share my experience for others on the forum if helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mar 31st 2018, 05:12 PM   #20

I Ride: 2013 1199S
Its a better professional job what you did IMO
Thanks from Firemike

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299, electrical, repair