Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree12Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 15th 2018, 07:18 AM   #11

I Ride: 1199 Panigale
Don't know how closely the 1299 squirter unit emulates the one found on the 1199. The 1199 thermostat housing is a two piece unit. The thermostat is sandwiched between the upper and lower halves. Coolant is allowed to circulate between the upper and lower chambers until the engine reaches operating temperature. At that point the thermostat closes the port between the two chambers and all coolant flow is directed through the engine. My unit failed at the thermostat housing where a small leak developed between the two halves. Considering the amount of work involved in removing and replacing the unit there's no way I was going to tighten the three fasteners holding the two halves together and hope for the best. If you have to remove it, replace it. I've never seen an aftermarket piece available.

Old Apr 15th 2018, 07:26 AM   #12

I Ride: KTM Duke R 1299 Pani YZF450 Saxon
Originally Posted by RD16RR View Post
Ducati needed to catch up....the newer bike/parts Ď"should be" ok now...the last install hasnít failed
Does this mean the new replacement plastic part will be of a better quality??, as said the removal is a bit of ball breaking job!
Old Apr 15th 2018, 07:38 AM   #13

Originally Posted by Khmer1199 View Post
Don't know how closely the 1299 squirter unit emulates the one found on the 1199. The 1199 thermostat housing is a two piece unit. The thermostat is sandwiched between the upper and lower halves. Coolant is allowed to circulate between the upper and lower chambers until the engine reaches operating temperature. At that point the thermostat closes the port between the two chambers and all coolant flow is directed through the engine. My unit failed at the thermostat housing where a small leak developed between the two halves. Considering the amount of work involved in removing and replacing the unit there's no way I was going to tighten the three fasteners holding the two halves together and hope for the best. If you have to remove it, replace it. I've never seen an aftermarket piece available.
From what I could see between plastics pipes and other engine parts (very difficult to have taken a pic)the 1299 unit is also a two piece unit, what I cant understand is there no gasket sealer that could go in with a new gasket to seal this? 200 Dollars every time excluding the labor cost is a bit annoying and it seems many guys are reporting a sweating or leak in this part..if it was a fix and forget then ok but fuk to do it every few months does my head in!

If they replace it under warranty they will keep the part if not they will return it to me and I will see if I can machine one out of billet I dont think its to complex for a CNC machine if that goes then it will be as simple as getting my mate who is a CAD designer to make the file and I will run it, I have already sent some nice bits bespoke made for certain car guys in the USA using the CNC machine.

I purchased the 5 Axi originally to run certain gun parts but as my exp has grown its started to add more use - this for me would be proper. it goes without saying I would offer it to a person in need as well.
Im already thinking of removing the thermostat completely and fitting a restricting washer instead as these things run so hot here in SA we dont really need a thermostat. We did this as Pilot project for Land Rover because with no thermostat and no restriction the water will pass to fast and not transfer the heat
Thanks from AaronJ
Old Apr 15th 2018, 07:38 PM   #14

I Ride: 1199 Panigale
I would be upset if I thought that I had to replace the housing every few months too. I've only had to replace the unit on my bike once and that was a couple of years ago. I haven't had any problems since (knock on wood) and I currently have around 21,000 miles showing on the odometer. It does seem from the posts that I've read that when a failure occurs, it often does so between the upper and lower halves. You could, if you thought it would help, remove the three fasteners holding the two halves together, clean and apply a small amount of sealant to each half, reinstall the rubber gasket, apply a medium strength thread locker to the threads of the three fasteners and reinstall and tighten the fasteners to 4 Nm following a 1-2-3-1 sequence.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 12:28 AM   #15

I Ride: 2013 1199S
Originally Posted by Khmer1199 View Post
I would be upset if I thought that I had to replace the housing every few months too. I've only had to replace the unit on my bike once and that was a couple of years ago. I haven't had any problems since (knock on wood) and I currently have around 21,000 miles showing on the odometer. It does seem from the posts that I've read that when a failure occurs, it often does so between the upper and lower halves. You could, if you thought it would help, remove the three fasteners holding the two halves together, clean and apply a small amount of sealant to each half, reinstall the rubber gasket, apply a medium strength thread locker to the threads of the three fasteners and reinstall and tighten the fasteners to 4 Nm following a 1-2-3-1 sequence.
If mine does let go thatís what Iíll attempt first, a $240 part should last more then a year.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 12:52 AM   #16

Originally Posted by Halo2 View Post
If mine does let go thatís what Iíll attempt first, a $240 part should last more then a year.
agree, but its a job to get it out !! this is the thorn
Old Apr 16th 2018, 01:11 AM   #17

I Ride: 2013 1199S
Not wrong there c*nt of a job
I’ve done it myself whole day it took, dealers take about 5hrs.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 02:04 AM   #18

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
Originally Posted by Captain Greg View Post
Yep just had to order the complete housing, I will take the old one and have it CAD modeled (I have a CNC machine)and see if I can machine it out of T6 may have to make it out of three parts, I will only know when I have worked out the tool path, pity I'm not home for a while otherwise I would not put back a plastic part.
Problem with prototyping is we sometimes have to make a part a number of times before it's perfect why Ducati did not just do it in the desighn phase of this bike is questionable, the bit of extra weight in this part versus its reliability should have been considered
Awesome! If this would happen I'll take three!!
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:23 AM   #19

Some news, the dealer tells me that there is no stock in Italy regarding this part, assures me it's being dealt with as they have now a new supplier and the thermostat housing has been upgraded......considering my bike and I never get time to play they kindly ask me to be patient

Any one heard of a new thermostat or upgraded part?
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 11:28 PM   #20

I Ride: 15 Pani R ( I weep a little sometimes )
Coolant leak can be pretty deceiving on these Panis. On my '13 S it was the squirter. On my R I thought it was the squirter and turned out to be the hoses. They replaced the hoses and no more seaping down the engine. It is hard tell where its coming from until its really bad or taking a close look when it happens.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
housing, thermostat