Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree3Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 16th 2018, 02:34 AM   #1

I Ride: 1299 S
Track day conversion - my thoughts

Hi all,

Just thought I’d share some thoughts with you having recently had my 1299S converted to a track bike.

I bought the bike new in 2015 for weekend blasts on the road and even with only 2,400 miles on the clock, I felt that I’d safely got what I can out of it on the roads. In short, I was tired of rarely getting out of 3rd gear and always coming up against traffic. I felt that I wasn’t getting enough out of the bike so my choice was to sell it, or convert it to a track bike (I started my first couple of track days last year on hire bikes and loved it).

It felt like a big decision to make, not least because it was going to cost me about £5k. I decided to let the pros do the conversion and gave it to MotoRapido in Winchester. They run a BSB team so they know their sh!t and have decent race spares to help keep the cost down.

To cut a long story short, I took delivery of the ‘new’ bike on Friday and tracked it at Silverstone in the dry on Saturday. It was epic. Felt night and day compared to the 1299 I’d known on the roads and I actually felt like I was riding the bike as it was intended. It began to make sense. As much as I love big litre sports bikes, their capabilities just seem a bit ‘wasted’ on the roads. Don’t get me wrong, they’ll still put a massive smile on your face and the Panigale looks epic if you want a head-turner.

So if you’re sort of in the same boat I was in, owned your Pani for a couple of years and thinking if it’s worth converting to track only, I’d say you won’t be disappointed. Go for it!

P.S MotoRapido were excellent to deal with and gave great advice. Never trying the hard sell. Mods done:

- Termi full race exhaust + ECU re-map
- OZ lightweight wheels
- Li battery (Shido)
- Race seat
- Track farings
- Sprint air filter
- Race brake pads and fluid
Thanks from Nathanhu and Macattack

Old Apr 16th 2018, 03:19 AM   #2

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - R1200GS Rallye X - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
Sounds great and seems like your having a ball.

I did the opposite, purchased a base 1199 and added all the go fast bits to be a track only bike. Mid last year I decided to get it registered for the road so I could tool around on it and ride it to work occasionally as well as track duties, it's a bit track focussed to really be a good road bike but still fun you just need to keep your sense of humour about you.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 03:23 AM   #3

I Ride: '16 Pani R, 1098R Bayliss, KTM1090R.
You have done well to include a set of decent wheels and a full exh system
in that list and keep it under 5 grand. Especially with the workshop time involved.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 03:49 AM   #4

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - R1200GS Rallye X - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
Originally Posted by 990Glen View Post
You have done well to include a set of decent wheels and a full exh system
in that list and keep it under 5 grand. Especially with the workshop time involved.
That's for sure, sounds like nice mods.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 04:30 AM   #5

The OZ wheels and Termi exhaust were both second hand, but still in great condition.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 08:15 AM   #6

Originally Posted by hu8742 View Post
Hi all,

Just thought I’d share some thoughts with you having recently had my 1299S converted to a track bike.

I bought the bike new in 2015 for weekend blasts on the road and even with only 2,400 miles on the clock, I felt that I’d safely got what I can out of it on the roads. In short, I was tired of rarely getting out of 3rd gear and always coming up against traffic. I felt that I wasn’t getting enough out of the bike so my choice was to sell it, or convert it to a track bike (I started my first couple of track days last year on hire bikes and loved it).

It felt like a big decision to make, not least because it was going to cost me about £5k. I decided to let the pros do the conversion and gave it to MotoRapido in Winchester. They run a BSB team so they know their sh!t and have decent race spares to help keep the cost down.

To cut a long story short, I took delivery of the ‘new’ bike on Friday and tracked it at Silverstone in the dry on Saturday. It was epic. Felt night and day compared to the 1299 I’d known on the roads and I actually felt like I was riding the bike as it was intended. It began to make sense. As much as I love big litre sports bikes, their capabilities just seem a bit ‘wasted’ on the roads. Don’t get me wrong, they’ll still put a massive smile on your face and the Panigale looks epic if you want a head-turner.

So if you’re sort of in the same boat I was in, owned your Pani for a couple of years and thinking if it’s worth converting to track only, I’d say you won’t be disappointed. Go for it!

P.S MotoRapido were excellent to deal with and gave great advice. Never trying the hard sell. Mods done:

-Termi full race exhaust + ECU re-map

-OZ lightweight wheels

-Li battery (Shido)

-Race seat

-Track farings

-Sprint air filter

-Race brake pads and fluid

Can I buy ur fairing as I smashed my bike bike front end??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Apr 17th 2018, 08:18 AM   #7

Hell yea man, welcome to the track addiction. I always wonder what people are thinking on the street. Impossible to fully exploit the bikes potential.

-Jack
Old Apr 17th 2018, 08:25 AM   #8

I Ride: Panigale R | Streetfigther 848
After my brake in mileage, I turned my R into track only bike. I really dont think anyone should be riding a superbike with 200hp on the road. 100hp is more than a enough.

Our bike dont really need anything to be "track" worthy. It is ready to go...Even tires SP V2s are great!

Having said that, yes you can add things to make it less costly when you crash to replace.

Unless you are professional racer and every second matter.
Thanks from slider417
Old Apr 18th 2018, 09:24 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Will1d View Post
Can I buy ur fairing as I smashed my bike bike front end??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry - I'm keeping in case i need to turn back into road form.

Also you're in Australia and I'm the UK. Surely you can get a replacement more easily there?
Old Apr 18th 2018, 12:46 PM   #10

Originally Posted by hu8742 View Post
Sorry - I'm keeping in case i need to turn back into road form.

Also you're in Australia and I'm the UK. Surely you can get a replacement more easily there?

yeah doesnt work like that in Australia......

It took 8 days to get replacement part from England to Australia 35% less price

My local Dealer said it would take 6-8 weeks to get same part.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
conversion, day, thoughts, track