Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 25th 2018, 09:57 PM   #1

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299
Rizoma Rear hub protector stuck

Has anyone had an issue removing a Rizoma rear hub protector? I want to do a 520 conversion with a CNC racing rear sprocket and carrier, 520 front sprocket and 520 chain. And decided to remove my stock flange and replace it with a CNC racing flange with CNC red and black nuts. And powder coat my wheels Prismatic anodized gold. The issue Im having is removing the Rizoma rear hub protector. My buddy removed my wheels last season to swap my tires then put that Rizoma hub protector back on. Now i cant get the damn thing off. My buddy isnt here at the moment so our road captain from my MC (harleys only and the road captain builds bikes from scratch) tried removing it from the right side. And it would not budge. The Rizoma tool used to remove the hub protector actually bent a few teeth and 2 of the teeth came out. We had to tap them back in. But I think if we use it a few more times many of the teeth will bend like a few did already.

I dont think rust is an issue since the tool and the hub protector are aluminum. At least I think everything is after looking and touching them. I was going to replace the Rizoma hub protector with the CNC racing rear and front axle protectors so that this issue wouldnt happen again. However the right side of this Rizoma hub protector just doesnt screw off.

Are we doing something wrong? Does it have to unscrew from the left side? Or on the right side? Clock wise or counter clock wise? Either way I need to contact my parts dealer at Rock Head Bikes and have him call to order the tool with the spikes to insert either into the left or right side since a 2 of the spikes broke off and I tried pressing them back in. And 3 of them bent. I dont understand why this tool is made out of Aluminum when extreme force is needed to unscrew it. Any help as to which way to turn would help. The bike was on the bursig stand and I had to hold down the rear brake so the rear wheel wouldnt turn.

This is the Rizoma rear hub protector Im talking about. If I can get if off Im going to put it up for sale and order the CNC racing front and rear protectors which are much easier to install and remove in my opinion.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...tection-ducati

Old Apr 27th 2018, 02:50 AM   #2

I Ride: 1299s, Multi Pikes Peak, 996 Foggy Edition
Are you using the supplied tool to remove it? If you're facing the rear of the bike, the right side stays put while you rotate the left side off. You must use the tool however.
Once that is complete, you can rotate the right side off, while the hub stays put.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 08:52 PM   #3

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299
Originally Posted by Moondognyc View Post
Are you using the supplied tool to remove it? If you're facing the rear of the bike, the right side stays put while you rotate the left side off. You must use the tool however.
Once that is complete, you can rotate the right side off, while the hub stays put.
Yes I was using the tool that was supplied. However the pins bent somewhat and even came off but I managed to push them back in. Im wondering if when my buddy pulled it off to change my tires last July he used an impact gun to tighten it back on while using the tool. Just to clarify when you said the left side when facing the rear you meant to use the tool, stick it into the holes on the side where it goes over the flange and where the sprocket side is? Silly question but I just want to make sure.

Rizoma also should have made that tool stronger or out of steel instead of aluminum. This way those spikes would bend or come out of their holes in case the hub protector was tightened to much. I wonder if someone could copy it and make it from steel and what the cost would be.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 10:28 PM   #4

I Ride: 2015 1299
sounds like it was over tighten shouldn't use impact on those.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
hub, protector, rear, rizoma, stuck