Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 6th 2018, 12:18 PM   #1
SPJ

DQS Fault

Around an hour into my ride this week the DQS stopped working. No error lights or obvious damage, still shows selected on the dash and itís plugged in. Both the up and down shift has failed in all gears.

Iíll take it off at some point and have a look, has anyone opened it up & had a poke around inside? Easy to replace components or is it likely to be a new unit from Ducati or an aftermarket option?

Donít get time for track days at the moment and happy enough with the Ducati system so donít really need any bling, just want it working again. Any suggestions?
Thanks from zkjad

Old Jun 6th 2018, 01:15 PM   #2

I Ride: 1299S, Multistrada Granturismo, Monster 796 ABS, BMW S1000RR
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Around an hour into my ride this week the DQS stopped working. No error lights or obvious damage, still shows selected on the dash and itís plugged in. Both the up and down shift has failed in all gears.

Iíll take it off at some point and have a look, has anyone opened it up & had a poke around inside? Easy to replace components or is it likely to be a new unit from Ducati or an aftermarket option?

Donít get time for track days at the moment and happy enough with the Ducati system so donít really need any bling, just want it working again. Any suggestions?
it's not a complicated system. There's a mechanical lever in the shift rod - a little black nubbin - that moves during shifts and activates a sensor in that black rectangular thing mounted on top. Assuming everything else is ok with the bike's electronics, it could just be that sensor not reporting shifts to the ECU.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 12:19 PM   #3

I had this issue with an 899. Simple fix is to have dealer warranty this part.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 03:34 AM   #4

I have had the same issue. It was taken care of under warranty.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 02:31 PM   #5

I Ride: 2015 1299
The sensor sucks I replaced mine with a translogic unit since it failed at 2k miles. My bike was used when I brought it and out of warranty. But if you still have warranty just bring it to the dealer and get it fixed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old Jun 14th 2018, 04:35 AM   #6
SPJ

Thanks for the replies. It’s out of warranty now and i’m pretty sure the dealer will just want to throw a new OEM part in. Will post back if i’m able to fix myself. Also had the DQS fail on my 1199 - fortunately that one was just in side the warranty period, also a failed sensor.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 01:11 PM   #7
SPJ

Quick update should anyone else have the same problem. Finally got around to looking at this tonight and fairly confident it’s sorted. The shift rod was locked solid without the usual extension/compression visible to make the micro switches for the DQS, this would also explain why both up/down failed at the same time mid ride.

Fairly straightforward fix, as mentioned above it’s not a complicated system. Remove, take apart, clean, grease, reassemble! Nothing tricky or fiddly for those worried about taking it apart. Smooth action again now, couldn’t really see what had jammed it but it was pretty mucky inside.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 05:54 PM   #8

I Ride: 2016 R
interesting as I had the same issue but only on downshift. Dealer looked/replaced part and when I got it back. Same shit as it was before. Have to really give it a good kick to downshift. Not at all smooth and not even sure if they replaced it after reading this.
My R1 is smooth as butter but this sucks
To other 1299 owners, is downshift smooth for you?
Old Jul 10th 2018, 11:27 PM   #9

I Ride: 2015 1299
Not smooth but dose it's job.

My s1000rr is butter tho even if I want to downshift on Accel.
Unlike the 1299 downshift then Accel.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:41 PM   #10

I Ride: Piaggio Vespa GS 1962, Ducati 998S 2004, Ducati 1198S 2010, Ducati 1299 2015
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Quick update should anyone else have the same problem. Finally got around to looking at this tonight and fairly confident itís sorted. The shift rod was locked solid without the usual extension/compression visible to make the micro switches for the DQS, this would also explain why both up/down failed at the same time mid ride.

Fairly straightforward fix, as mentioned above itís not a complicated system. Remove, take apart, clean, grease, reassemble! Nothing tricky or fiddly for those worried about taking it apart. Smooth action again now, couldnít really see what had jammed it but it was pretty mucky inside.

Thx for writeup!

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
dqs, fault