Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree4Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 6th 2018, 01:45 PM   #11

i lost a kickstand bolt once, lucky enough to catch the bike before tipping over. Should be able to tighten it, make sure it's aligned properly.

Old Jul 6th 2018, 10:41 PM   #12

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299
Originally Posted by Mutt1979 View Post
Ah crap, sounds like where it's been loose and in use, on/off the stand, for some time the bolt would be moving in there and has worn/stripped the thread as Halo said........ thats not a part you can replace easily and it will be expensive as its an engine block/casing...... as you mentioned, can you look at the end of the bolt to see if it did shear and leave any in or is it intact?

Helicoil might..... MIGHT save you. Drill and re-tap for a slightly larger bolt?

Update as of today. I have been trying to get in touch with the service manager since July 12. The bike was picked up July 9th. People in service kept saying he would call me back. No one called back. Finally on Friday July 27th I called an asked to speak to the service manager. I was told he was gone. I asked what going on with my Duc and was told nothing. I was responsible. I went off on the dude even though he just wrote stuff up. I was angry because no one called back. The dude called Sat and said the owner wanted to talk in person. I called today. He said they werent responsible. He said my friend who worked there for a month told them he stripped it when he tried tightening it. I said bull. You know full well the problem was reported last year twice and this year in March. My friend just said he tried tightening it and the bolt kept spinning. Then he said the warranty was denied last year because the ducati regional rep said there were too many mod on my bike so I must of stripped it and the rear sets were the tell tail sign that I stripped the inside of the lower engine block so the warranty wasnt covered. I said what do rear sets have to do with the kickstand. You know I dont have a lift so I need my kickstand to install the rear sets. I said you guys fixed my shifter issue last year. Removed my rear sets because it affected the shifter. Had to remove the kick stand, to remove the side plate to remove the shifter. You tech said last year it was an issue because you guys told me it was and you were fixing it. Nothing was fixed and the problem got worse. Then I called Ducati North America and was told it was never brought to them as a warranty issue and the regional rep never denied anything because it was never reported to him.

Seems the threading is stripped inside and needs rethreading. I spoke to the service manager and explained that I told them last year when the bike was in for some other issues that both the warranty covered and also didnt that I was having an issue with the kickstand. The dealer had to remove the kickstand and remount my cnc rear sets that I mounted which caused some sort of issue with the shifter which messed up the race mode and other modes. No matter how many times I would switch modes it would only go into race mode and the abs dtc and other features wouldnt work. Once they fixed that and I got the bike back , the bike would run then sputter then shut off. Went back into the shop. and got it back a week later. Next day after I got it back sputtered again when I was riding it after 20 miles and shut off. Dealer picked it up again off the side of the road. Came to the conclusion my power commander v and auto tune were the issue. Once they removed it no more issues. A few months later my rapid bike was installed. No issues since installation. But when the bike went in the last time last year I mentioned the kickstand bolt was coming out. I thought they took care of it. Apparently they didnt and never put it into the work order. However a tech told them that I mentioned it. So the dealer contacted the ducati rep to let them know that this should have been covered when the bike was under warranty. So now they said they will take care of it. The least expensive way is to re-thread the inner or swap out the block. I think they will re-thread the inner since its the least expensive way to go. Kudos to my dealer for not fighting me on this. Granted I bought 4 bikes from them from 2014-2016 and now will not even hesitate buying a 5th bike from them. The new owners took over in 2014 and had a long road ahead of them to show customers and future customers that they werent going to be like the previous owner. This dealership went from 3rd world looking on the showroom floor to a modern looking dealership on long island. It will rival any NYC dealership. They have Ducati, Triumph, MV Agusta, BMW, Aprilia, Nortan, KTM, Piaggio, and Vespa. Great dealership to work with. They even reprogramed my BMW S1000R and S1000RR when I did my own service on them.

Last edited by cycler; Jul 30th 2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: more information
Old Jul 30th 2018, 09:21 PM   #13

Originally Posted by elements018 View Post
One of my kickstand bolts stripped like yours. Easy helicoil job fixed it.
It wasnt the kick stand bolt that was stripped. It was the threading inside the area where the 1 of the 2 bolts is closer to the front end. Dealer took the kick stand off twice to do work and problem began after that. My warranty expired back in Feb. Dealer told me last year there was an issue and I told him fix it. He said ducati rep denied claim. Said the same thing to me today. I called Ducati North America today to get a hold of the regional rep from my area. Ducati North America said they cant give me his info. I asked what warranty claims were made between last year and this year...granted or denied. Ducati told me that the only warranty claim was the one from March for the recall they had on something on their master cylinders which I got taken care. There was no mention of a warranty claim being made last year and denied like my dealer told me. So now Ducati North America is contacting the regional rep and we will take it from there. The guy on the phone sounded annoyed that the dealer said he tried to do a warranty claim and said it was denied when nothing shows on their end for my vin number
Old Jul 31st 2018, 12:59 AM   #14

I Ride: 2012 1199
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
It wasnt the kick stand bolt that was stripped. It was the threading inside the area where the 1 of the 2 bolts is closer to the front end.
Yeah, that's what I meant, bolts don't strip, its the threading inside the holes that strip. Added a heli-coil, quick and done.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 09:52 PM   #15

Originally Posted by elements018 View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant, bolts don't strip, its the threading inside the holes that strip. Added a heli-coil, quick and done.
What is a heli-coil? And how does it work? I will also look it up. But if you dont mind writing what it is and how you did it I would really appreciate it. And will that really fix the whole issue? Do you remember which size you purchased and what parts? If you dont mine putting a link up with the exact parts you ordered I would appreciate that as well.

Last edited by cycler; Jul 31st 2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: need some more information
Old Jul 31st 2018, 11:30 PM   #16

I Ride: Panigale V4S
This is Helicoil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_azEsNkA9Q
Old Aug 1st 2018, 01:19 AM   #17

I Ride: 2012 1199
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
What is a heli-coil? And how does it work? I will also look it up. But if you dont mind writing what it is and how you did it I would really appreciate it. And will that really fix the whole issue? Do you remember which size you purchased and what parts? If you dont mine putting a link up with the exact parts you ordered I would appreciate that as well.
heli-coil is the way to repair a threaded hole where the threads have stripped. You just buy the same thread size helicoil that the bolt is. Any automotive parts store carries the kit in a variety of sizes. I personally bought the cheap Chinese variety pack tool kit to have a multiple of sizes handy in the garage.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 11:42 PM   #18

Just an update on my dilemma with my kickstand. I contacted Ducati North America. And asked them if my dealer put a warranty issue in with my kick stand. Apparently they didnt which had Ducati North America confused after I told them the dealer told me that the regional rep denied the claim. Ducati north america had another customer complain about warranty issues with this dealer who claimed that the regional rep denied a claim. When in reality the dealer never put in for warranty claims. Hence lying to me and another customer. Ducati North America thought this was fishy. And thought and agreed with me that most likely the dealership was responsible for this situation as well as the situation of another customer which I have no clue what happened to their bike but was told by Ducati North America a similar case happened where the dealer said the Ducati rep denied the warranty claim. When in fact he never did.

Anyway here is the outcome of my situation. Ducati North America contacted my dealer as well as the regional rep. They asked for all the work orders from my dealer. Asked for copies of warranty issues with my kick stand to the Ducati regional rep that they stated were denied when in fact were never sent in. And guess what. Low and behold when I called them today everything was repaired and there is no issue. I guess when Ducati North America called the dealership realized I wasnt a fool. And fixed what they messed up.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 11:57 PM   #19

I Ride: Panigale V4S
Glad you sorted your problem.

Angry for you to hear that they were just mugging you off. I would have gone ballistic!

See I've had issues in the past and it's always the dealer that has helped my Ducati experience as a whole. It's sad that others get let down by the front of house sometimes. A premium motorcycle should come with exceptional service.
Thanks from Macattack
Old Sep 1st 2018, 10:30 PM   #20

Originally Posted by Mutt1979 View Post
Glad you sorted your problem.

Angry for you to hear that they were just mugging you off. I would have gone ballistic!

See I've had issues in the past and it's always the dealer that has helped my Ducati experience as a whole. It's sad that others get let down by the front of house sometimes. A premium motorcycle should come with exceptional service.
Trust me I did go ballistic. Even more so when they tried charging me for the bike pickup because the new service manager said all pickups are $125 meanwhile the bike was picked up 2 weeks before he started working there. And he tried charging me $310 for the Helicoil and labor. Nice try. Went ballistic and he was told Ducati NA would be contacted for this crap. His tuned changed and said ok you owe $0. So my friend who went to pick up the bike was told ok nothing is owed. You can take the bike .

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
bolt, kickstand, problem