Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree4Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 09:33 PM   #1

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299
kickstand bolt problem

Last Tuesday I did an oil change for the first time myself and noticed the lower kickstand bolt was practically all the way out. Now I understood why the bike seemed unsteady when it was on the kickstand. Last year the kickstand was a loose and my buddy tightened. But this time the bolt was almost all the way out. I pulled it out to make sure it wasnt bent or threads stripped. And tried screwing it back in. However no matter how much I screwed it in, it kept kept spinning. So I put the lower fairing back on and would address it later. I forgot about it and rode the bike to work Thursday Friday and today. When I got home and put the kickstand down the bike rocked back and forth and shifted forward. I looked at the kickstand and the bolt was almost again. I pulled the fairing off and tried tightening it but it kept spinning. I was looking it up online and the bolt is a M8 x 35mm as they also pass through the swing arm/rear suspension support casting, hence the extra length.

Im wondering if maybe the bolt snapped and part of it is still in. And since its not seated well thats why it keeps spinning? Or maybe the threading is messed up inside somewhere. I shined a flashlight into the hole but cant really tell anything. Anyone ever have this issue? Or have any ideas?

Old Jul 2nd 2018, 11:51 PM   #2

I Ride: Panigale V4S
Just had a look at a parts fiche and you can see the bolt sits through the stand and screws into a hex bushing/sleeve.

https://www.ducatiomaha.com/pages/ducati-oem-parts

Page 126

Although I've not removed a side stand myself I would say that you need a spanner/wrench on the bushing to hold it on the opposite side as you screw in the bolt, that would stop the spinning and allow you to pull it up.

Last edited by Mutt1979; Jul 3rd 2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:10 AM   #3

I Ride: 2012 Panigale S
Don't forget the loctite
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 03:54 AM   #4

I Ride: 2013 1199S
Noticed on the 2013 1199 they modified it so a circlip won’t allow it to completely back out.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 07:28 AM   #5
Phl

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, CRF50, GROM, bionicon supershuttle
I had the same problem up in the mountains once. Lost the bolt though.
Went and bought a replacement at an ACE hardware store.

Most of my bolts are either safety-wired or marked how they have to line up for quick visual check-ability
Old Jul 4th 2018, 08:43 PM   #6

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299
Originally Posted by Mutt1979 View Post
Just had a look at a parts fiche and you can see the bolt sits through the stand and screws into a hex bushing/sleeve.

https://www.ducatiomaha.com/pages/ducati-oem-parts

Page 126

Although I've not removed a side stand myself I would say that you need a spanner/wrench on the bushing to hold it on the opposite side as you screw in the bolt, that would stop the spinning and allow you to pull it up.
Thanks for posting the direct link to where the parts fiche is. I found the stand stand on pages 126-127. But the plate where kick stand attaches to doesnt have any screws showing in the parts fiche. I should have explained better or maybe you understood (not trying to be an ass). The kick stand is in place. Its the plate that the kickstand is attached to is where the problem is. The lower screw or actually the one closer to the front of the bike is what keeps coming out. And no matter how much I screw it back in. It gets a bit snug and then boom starts spinning. And in the parts fiche it doesnt show the bolts that are used to hold that plate in place. Ill call my dealer tomorrow to see what problem may be.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 09:23 PM   #7

I Ride: 2013 1199S
Sounds like the thread is stripped...
Thanks from Mutt1979
Old Jul 4th 2018, 11:16 PM   #8

I Ride: Panigale V4S
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
Thanks for posting the direct link to where the parts fiche is. I found the stand stand on pages 126-127. But the plate where kick stand attaches to doesnt have any screws showing in the parts fiche. I should have explained better or maybe you understood (not trying to be an ass). The kick stand is in place. Its the plate that the kickstand is attached to is where the problem is. The lower screw or actually the one closer to the front of the bike is what keeps coming out. And no matter how much I screw it back in. It gets a bit snug and then boom starts spinning. And in the parts fiche it doesnt show the bolts that are used to hold that plate in place. Ill call my dealer tomorrow to see what problem may be.
Ah crap, sounds like where it's been loose and in use, on/off the stand, for some time the bolt would be moving in there and has worn/stripped the thread as Halo said........ thats not a part you can replace easily and it will be expensive as its an engine block/casing...... as you mentioned, can you look at the end of the bolt to see if it did shear and leave any in or is it intact?

Helicoil might..... MIGHT save you. Drill and re-tap for a slightly larger bolt?

Last edited by Mutt1979; Jul 4th 2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 12:03 AM   #9

I Ride: 2012 1199
One of my kickstand bolts stripped like yours. Easy helicoil job fixed it.
Thanks from Mutt1979 and AaronJ
Old Jul 6th 2018, 11:23 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Phl View Post
I had the same problem up in the mountains once. Lost the bolt though.
Went and bought a replacement at an ACE hardware store.

Most of my bolts are either safety-wired or marked how they have to line up for quick visual check-ability
best method ever, quick dab of two dots to line up with matching red paint.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
bolt, kickstand, problem