Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree15Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 11th 2018, 07:37 PM   #21

Originally Posted by 990Glen View Post
Pick up a used set of S wheels at a decent price and spend the rest on rubber or tracktime.
They are a pretty decent wheel weight wise, though the 1098 R wheels were lighter.

FWIW, I have a set of the Oz Gass and while they are a bit lighter on the scales, its not
really noticeable on the track. I like their look, but the bang for buck was minimal over
the OEM S/R wheels.
I've been keeping an eye out for a pair but nothing is coming up in the Australian market.

The S wheels are meant to be quite a good wheel from what i've heard.

Old Sep 11th 2018, 07:39 PM   #22

Originally Posted by JoshDuc View Post
I've been keeping an eye out for a pair but nothing is coming up in the Australian market.

The S wheels are meant to be quite a good wheel from what i've heard.
Those Oz Gass wheels are the ones I have the S wheels are good
Thanks from JoshDuc
Old Sep 11th 2018, 07:41 PM   #23

Originally Posted by wilkson View Post
I swap between my base wheels my Oz wheels and whatever else I have depending on what rubber is fitted . Never really feel too much difference between any of them to be honest . I like the look of my Oz wheels best .
Thats interesting to hear! I thought i'd be saving quite a bit on unsprung weight from the base wheels and in return, feel quite a difference.

A good little a video from the boys at 44teeth. They netted a 1.2 second per lap advantage from cast to lightweight carbon wheels on an r1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbo8oHZj93g
Old Sep 11th 2018, 07:44 PM   #24

Originally Posted by jyli19 View Post
OZ RS-A Gass wheels

newer design with better weight distribution, and slight lighter, only a bit pricier than Piega, but i think it's worth it.
I know this sounds stupid, but i just don't love the look of the machined lip on the RS-A Gass rim. LOVE the piega (R) and cattiva.

Is the Piega R a worthy candidate? what makes them not road worthy?
Old Sep 11th 2018, 09:35 PM   #25

Thats interesting to hear! I thought i'd be saving quite a bit on unsprung weight from the base wheels and in return, feel quite a difference.

A good little a video from the boys at 44teeth. They netted a 1.2 second per lap advantage from cast to lightweight carbon wheels on an r1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbo8oHZj93g
That all depends on where you are on the scale of lap times I guess the quicker you go the harder it is to find a half a second or a tenth of a second .If I can improve my times buy 1.2 seconds by just fitting lighter wheels let me have them .
Placebo effect are my thoughts . Don't get me wrong I like lighter wheels but the base wheels are not exactly anchors either .
Coaching and track times will improve your times more so over buying lighter wheels if that's your goal but that is just sensible talk if you want light wheels buy the ones you like the look of .
Thanks from SuperDuc29, 990Glen and JoshDuc

Last edited by wilkson; Sep 11th 2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 06:37 AM   #26

I find that the weight reduction of the front wheel is noticeable but not so much the rear. I think the OEM S wheels are a good compromise for weight cost etc. if everything is optimized reducing the weight further would improve performance, but most of us don’t have our bikes set up that well for many reasons. Ultimately it’s gonna book down to what you want. If it is just for cosmetics pick a style you like.
Thanks from JoshDuc
Old Sep 12th 2018, 11:07 AM   #27

I don't know what the difference is between Piega vs Piega R.

There are forged AL wheel, i doubt you'll notice difference between them. Pick the one you like. They will all give you a boost from Base Die Cast wheels.

The swapped my base rims for a set off an 1199R, the wheels like lighter, the spacer is aluminum, not steel, even the rotor bolts are lighter.
Thanks from JoshDuc
Old Sep 12th 2018, 10:03 PM   #28

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299
Hi guys,

Wanting to get everyone's thoughts on which direction i should go with a set of wheels for my base 1299.

I'm looking at the OZ racing Cattiva (mag) or the Piega (aluminium) forged wheels. Love the look of them plus hopefully a noticeable performance gain at the track.

The bike is used both on the road for some weekend runs and at the track in fast group. Doing as many track days as i can at the moment, totally hooked.

Wanting to know if its worth spending the extra money on the magnesium and if there is any durability issues.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I also have the base 1299. Personally if I were spending the money which I will soon. I would buy a better rear suspension and a better front suspension (either a drop in suspension in the front or a full ohlins front end). Or upgrade my master cylinder and clutch cylinder along with better brakes and rrotors. At least thats my opinion
Old Sep 12th 2018, 11:45 PM   #29

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - R1200GS Rallye X - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
As was stated earlier light wheels are one of the best handling/performance upgrades available. The standard suspension is not too bad if setup for your weight and conditions so after sorting that bung on some cool wheels and good to go.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 02:40 AM   #30

I would love to know if anyone is outriding a standard Ducati Superbike especially from the last five years . If so you have my respect .
Other than standard Sachs rear shock they are shit

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
alu, forged, mag, wheels