Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree14Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 9th 2018, 10:45 PM   #51

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - R1200GS Rallye X - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
I think they were unbelievably expensive were they not?
Nice though.

Old Oct 14th 2018, 02:49 PM   #52

Originally Posted by able duc View Post
I would have to say my favourite are the 6 spoke alloy from OZ Racing.
To me they just look like a real race wheel.
I might be wrong, but they look to be the mag wheels to me. The 6 spoke alloys have the machined rim lip.
Old Oct 14th 2018, 04:17 PM   #53

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - R1200GS Rallye X - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
Originally Posted by JoshDuc View Post
I might be wrong, but they look to be the mag wheels to me. The 6 spoke alloys have the machined rim lip.
They are both a race only alloy set of wheels, they have race team contacts so can get them. I have a set as well.
Old Oct 14th 2018, 11:37 PM   #54

I have had both magnesium Oz wheels and forged alloy OZ wheels . I was unbelievably quick on the magnesium.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 12:06 AM   #55

Originally Posted by wilkson View Post
I have had both magnesium Oz wheels and forged alloy OZ wheels . I was unbelievably quick on the magnesium.
hahaha I don't think so.

oh by the way thanks for the rotor measurements.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 06:53 AM   #56

I Ride: 1299S, Multistrada Granturismo, Monster 796 ABS, BMW S1000RR
there is one benefit of heavier wheels - street riding in heavy rain and/or very windy conditions. if you're the sort that will take their Panigale out in any weather barring a blizzard, there is stability in the stronger gyroscopic rotation of heavier wheels. when other bikers have pulled over under overpasses but you stubbornly keep on going, that gyroscopic rotation makes a difference.

Note that the crankshaft also produces gyroscopic forces. In the worst rain I've ever ridden in, running my 1299S w/Supercorsas, I found a sweet spot at 90-ish mph in 5th gear, or 80 in 4th where hydroplaing was a risk. Every time I shifted into 6th I felt the bike destabilize noticeably as the RPMs dropped.

You won't get that with a backwards rotating crank (like on the V-4), but honestly, other than my stupid ass, who rides their Panigales like touring bikes in monsoon weather?

I was fully planning on buying BST wheels for my bike. Then at a tire change I picked up the rear forged Marchesini without the tire...and decided to save my money. the stock forged wheels are surprisingly light. Pick one up, and as you hold this wheel that you can easily lift and hold with one finger, the desire to spend $4000 on wheels diminishes. $4k buys a lot of titanium and carbon fiber bits
Thanks from GunMoto
Old Oct 19th 2018, 08:43 PM   #57

I Ride: 2003 HD Softail, 2005 Sportster 1200 Custom, 2018 Ducati Panigale V4S
Magnesium (as well as aluminum) are aniodic metals. They do corrode much easier than metals such as stainless steel or nickel HOWEVER, they aren't going to just flake away if they get a scratch. I am a helicopter mechanic by trade. I deal with aluminum, magnesium, stainless steel, nickel, Inconel, Hastelloy, brass, copper, lead, and all sorts of annodic and cathodic metals every day.

Corrosion is more of an issue with magnesium when it is subjected to either improper heat treatment (not likely an issue for you) or being mated to a cathodic dissimilar metal while in the presence of an electrolyte (such as water). Just being exposed to the atmosphere is almost a non-issue unless you live in a corrosive environment. (see: near the ocean) Where you are most likely to encounter her corrosion on magnesium wheels is where the stainless steel valve stem mates to the wheel or where the bearing outer race is attached to the wheel. (see: dissimilar metal corrosion) If everything is properly assembled and maintained, you shouldn't have any issues with magnesium wheels. They aren't refined uranium for chrissakes. Not unstable like radioactive materials. Use them without fear.
Thanks from able duc

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
alu, forged, mag, wheels