Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree6Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 19th 2018, 07:50 AM   #1

I Ride: 1299S, Multistrada Granturismo, Monster 796 ABS, BMW S1000RR
Pirelli Rosso Corsa II vs Supercorsa

time to replace the front tire. after three years of Supercorsas, I put a Rosso III on the rear and I'm quite happy with it. A true hard street compound center, and the sides are plenty sticky enough for most riding. I've yet to track the Rosso III but I'm willing to bet I don't have the talent to outride that tire.

however, in thinking about the front, I want maximum stickiness, which means another Supercorsa. However, as most of my riding is street riding, I'm thinking if I went with a dual-compound rear with the Rosso III, why not a dual compound front?

- in terms of advanced but definitely nowhere near pro racer ability, how much can a Rosso Corsa II stick when leaned over compared to a Supercorsa V3?

- and my real concern: are Rosso Corsa IIs any better in the rain than Supercorsas?

btw, I'm not considering a Rosso III front because it's not dual compound.

Old Oct 19th 2018, 01:01 PM   #2

I Ride: Shopping..
Im about to replace both the front and rears on mine as was considering a straight replacement with the SuperCorsa Pro V3's so this is a timely post. The V3s look like they only come in a 200/60 rear, I guess the traction control auto calibration will take care of the change in size though - will it fit under the oe rear hugger?

Where are people getting good deals on tires - $480 for a pair from Revzilla seems expensive to me ?

Last edited by BenF04; Oct 19th 2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 02:00 PM   #3

$379/set Supercorsa V2, Ebay
Thanks from BenF04
Old Oct 19th 2018, 08:02 PM   #4

I Ride: 1299S, Multistrada Granturismo, Monster 796 ABS, BMW S1000RR
Originally Posted by BenF04 View Post
Im about to replace both the front and rears on mine as was considering a straight replacement with the SuperCorsa Pro V3's so this is a timely post. The V3s look like they only come in a 200/60 rear, I guess the traction control auto calibration will take care of the change in size though - will it fit under the oe rear hugger?

Where are people getting good deals on tires - $480 for a pair from Revzilla seems expensive to me ?
it'll fit, but you have to manually calibrate the bike. instructions for how to do it are in the manual. basically, you select tire calibration in the main menu, then follow a certain riding procedure on a flat surface with enough space to reach the speeds required.
Old May 25th 2019, 10:20 PM   #5

Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
time to replace the front tire. after three years of Supercorsas, I put a Rosso III on the rear and I'm quite happy with it. A true hard street compound center, and the sides are plenty sticky enough for most riding. I've yet to track the Rosso III but I'm willing to bet I don't have the talent to outride that tire.

however, in thinking about the front, I want maximum stickiness, which means another Supercorsa. However, as most of my riding is street riding, I'm thinking if I went with a dual-compound rear with the Rosso III, why not a dual compound front?

- in terms of advanced but definitely nowhere near pro racer ability, how much can a Rosso Corsa II stick when leaned over compared to a Supercorsa V3?

- and my real concern: are Rosso Corsa IIs any better in the rain than Supercorsas?

btw, I'm not considering a Rosso III front because it's not dual compound.
Hi All,

I had change out my tyres approximately 1000 kms ago on my panigale 1299S. I chose to go with the Supercorsa SP front and Diablo Rosso Corsa 2 for the rear.

The original Supercorsa SP was phenomenal with regards to grip as it is well known. However I did not appreciate the flat spot which the 1299 wore in the middle of the rear tyre. Hence the choice of the Rosso Corsa 2.

After 1000 kms of street use and a recent track day I can really say the Rosso Corsa 2 and Pirelli are true to their word regarding durability.

On the street the tyre feels stable, sure footed and grips well.

On the track with an 18C day the tyre performed well with as much grip as one needs. Initially I started off with 26.5 PSI cold, went out for the first session and admittedly not pushing though when I got back to the pits the tyre pressure grew to 28 PSI hot.

This was not enough so when the tyre cooled, I had reduced the tyre pressure to 22 PSI cold and 26 PSI for the front Supercorsa SP.

From the second session onwards the tyres just felt good all the way to the edge, being able to open the throttle at 40 lean while transitioning to full up right was awesome. The bike wheeling out of second gear corners about a foot off the ground and using the quick shifter to change to third, fourth and setting the front wheel down rolling off and braking for the corner, man what a feeling.

The biggest surprise of the DRC 2 is the tyre wear. Now a few years ago I ran the Bridgestone BT 003RS and wore half the tyre life in a single track day. The DRC 2 reminds of the Pirelli Superbike pro slicks which I used many years ago as well, however without the slipping and sliding.

Here’s my take on the DRC 2 –
• Durability, excellent
• Stability, good
• Grip, good
• Agility, good
• Warm up, good
• Fun factor, good
Thanks from Twistedracer and Pard
Old May 26th 2019, 12:44 PM   #6

I've replace the RC with Supercorsa on my Panigale. Love them on that bike.
However, I didn't like the Supercorsa as OEM for my Monster which was my primary street ride. The SC's are not good in the rain and the cold.
Rosso III are much better in that context and the high silica content of the front is better on dirty slippery roads.
I was even thinking about putting R3's on the Multistrada but that would be overkill. I'll settle on the new Angel GT2's for durability.

Last edited by DarR; May 26th 2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 26th 2019, 08:26 PM   #7

I Ride: 16R; 18 R1M
Ive always said that the Rosso Corsas were good enough for intermediate riders. I can only expect the 2s to be even better.
Id feel safer getting caught out in the rain on the RC2s than the SCs any day of the week, but I wouldnt plan on going out whenbits wet.
Old May 26th 2019, 09:33 PM   #8

I Ride: 1299S, S2R1000, S4R, SXV550, RSV4RR
The Rosso Corsa IIs are great tires. I run them on my small track bikes like tarmac only supermoto SXV550. So far I've gotten great lean angle and times on the bike and the tire feels stable sliding into the corners and tremendously grippy coming out of the corners.

If you're concerned about mileage though, I'm not sure it's the right tire. Of course they'll last longer than a Supercorsa in the middle but if you're truly concerned about mileage on your 1299, try the Michelin Power RS. All my Superduke 1290r buddies who ride mostly street and some track days, wear this tire and it's great for mileage on these torquey bikes. Personally I prefer the profile of Pirelli tires.
Old May 27th 2019, 02:48 AM   #9

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R and 2018 1299rFE
I would say unless you are running/charging down a hill with trail braking on lean angle the Rossa Corsa will be a strong enough tire to run on mostly street and the average track day rider
Thanks from DarR
Old May 27th 2019, 05:51 AM   #10

I Ride: 1299 Anniversario #81
Rosso Corsas are plenty good even for an advanced rider, as long as you're not chasing lap records. Trackdays? Top 10% "A" group all day.

I used to love coming around guys on slicks with my Rosso 2's (not corsas). I have Rosso 3's on my bike now and put about 1k miles on them and they are great too. Haven't done a trackday on them yet.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
corsa, pirelli, rosso, supercorsa