Thanks Tree33Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 1st 2018, 11:32 PM   #21

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Nice photos thank you for posting
Thanks from vyruz

Old Nov 2nd 2018, 01:21 AM   #22

The Big Haul

It’s been a couple of months since the last trackday and new parts are ready to go on.

1. Homologated Akrapovic end can. This is the same unit that came stock on my bike, but in way better condition. I had someone here buy my stock unit (which was corroded a fair bit), and it was an easy decision to get a take-off unit from Moto Corsa. I wasn’t ready to go with the race system as I still use the bike on the streets and the laws here are very strict.

2. RapidBike Evo. I loved this mod on my 899 and was hoping for the same great fuelling improvements for the R.

3. New master cylinders. The RCS units were great, but I was intrigued about the next step - the Brembo Racing CNC billet masters. I went with the settings I was using on the RCS masters, so the clutch was the Brembo Racing XR01150 16x16 and the brake was the Brembo Racing XR01172 19x20 (I preferred the quick action of the 19x20, especially for the street).

4. Brembo GP4-RX Front Calipers and P2 Rear in nickel finish. This may seem unnecessary, but they were on my Tuono previously and now that the Tuono was sold, they had to go somewhere Pads were changed to Brembo SC pads, which were great for road and track use.

5. Ducabike carbon brake lever guard. I wasn’t a huge fan of the DP brake guard for two reasons: (i) bits of the guard were held together via grub screws and if you don’t check often, they’d unwind and fall off, taking part of the guard with it, and (ii) there wasn’t a large enough dip to the guard near the grip, so depending on how you ride, you’ll feel the guard against your right pinky finger.

6. EVR slipper clutch. The R stock slipper clutch worked fine, but it never felt as solid as the STM unit I had on the 899. At the time I couldn't find an STM unit for the 1199/1299 (aside from the dry clutch conversion), so EVR it is.

7. Factory Pro Shift kit. The stock shifter on the R felt mushy and imprecise compared to the Blipbox setup on the 899. I thought I’d start with this kit first before modding other related components. The revised detent arm with bearings and a stiffer spring is meant to improve the shift action (so more precise) but at a cost of a 10-15% harder shift action.

Thanks from Twistedracer
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 03:12 AM   #23

EVR Slipper Install Issue

While the 899's STM slipper was plug and play, the R's EVR slipper was not. I received a message from my workshop pointing out a difference in the stock and EVR clutch housing – there was no step in the EVR clutch housing that would allow it to seat properly in the clutch basket.

I wrote to EVR and, credit to them, they replied in less than an hour. Apparently Ducati Corse (yes the race department - they use this in WSBK) asked for this change in the clutch housing, and it was no longer a plug and play fit with the stock basket. EVR was really good about offering to make the required modification at their end and send it to me, but because I was due for another Sepang session soon, they provided instructions on how to get it to work. Essentially the basket would need to be machined to lower the lip area indicated by 1.5mm. My workshop did this and it all fit fine.

Next stop, another Sepang outing.

Instructions from EVR

Basket fixed

Thanks from Twistedracer
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 07:13 AM   #24

Thanks so much for this....fantastic read!!!
Thanks from vyruz
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 08:04 AM   #25

I Ride: 16 1199R
With your EVR did they supply a 1.6mm clutch plate? My EVR slipper came with a 1.6mm plate to replace the only 2.0mm plate on the OEM slipper all the rest are 1.6 so wondering if your EVR is a older version? Who did you order it from? Mine came from Bellissi less then 6 months and dropped right in on my 16R no problems but do remember the bottom of the drum looked like yours so trying to figure out why yours had to be modified.

While the 899's STM slipper was plug and play, the R's EVR slipper was not. I received a message from my workshop pointing out a difference in the stock and EVR clutch housing – there was no step in the EVR clutch housing that would allow it to seat properly in the clutch basket.

I wrote to EVR and, credit to them, they replied in less than an hour. Apparently Ducati Corse (yes the race department - they use this in WSBK) asked for this change in the clutch housing, and it was no longer a plug and play fit with the stock basket. EVR was really good about offering to make the required modification at their end and send it to me, but because I was due for another Sepang session soon, they provided instructions on how to get it to work. Essentially the basket would need to be machined to lower the lip area indicated by 1.5mm. My workshop did this and it all fit fine.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 09:22 AM   #26

I Ride: Panigale R | Streetfigther 848
Originally Posted by vyruz View Post
Thanks Phl!

Thanks man. The taxes here on vehicles were bad enough as it is, but I was lucky when I bought my R. Not three months after I bought it, they changed the tax structure for bikes here (to align it with cars), and literally overnight the price of a brand new 2016 Panigale R went from US$54k to US$74k.

Heya mate, thanks! The 899 forum build was proper fun.

A V4 would be great, but not with prices as they are here. I would probably have to top up an additional AU$30k after selling my R to get the V4S . That said, I'm not sure I want to part with my R. I'm keen to see what the V4R looks like (we'll know on Sunday) but it's nothing something I'll be able to afford anytime soon.
Well, good news is that you made a instant profit when you got the R. Bad news is that it will be expensive to get another.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 09:28 AM   #27

Which Rotors are those? 330?
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 09:42 AM   #28

oh and thank you for the post with detailed descriptions and pics. Parts numbers shown on pictures are great too as I like to order them in the future.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 05:19 PM   #29

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Love the nickel finish on the callipers. Fantastic bling. Always loved the look. You have to tell us if you feel much difference. I have nothing to compare, I have always thought the brakes on my 2012S are fantastic. I have nothing but my BMW 1300S to compare to though.

Very much appreciate the detailed pics and specifications.
Thanks from able duc
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 07:01 PM   #30

Originally Posted by bradp51 View Post
Love the nickel finish on the callipers. Fantastic bling. Always loved the look. You have to tell us if you feel much difference. I have nothing to compare, I have always thought the brakes on my 2012S are fantastic. I have nothing but my BMW 1300S to compare to though.

Very much appreciate the detailed pics and specifications.
I have the same set. It’s out of this world differences. It takes while to get used to because it brakes so hard and so well. You could start braking so late and deep into entry. I will say with stock M50 with RCS17, you would normally start braking at #5 braking point but this set up, you could do at 1 easily. Lol
Thanks from able duc

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
2015, build, panigale