Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree30Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 26th 2019, 05:17 AM   #11

I Ride: 2016 Ducati Panigale 1299 S
Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
Iíve test ridden. I donít know why everyone keeps saying it sounds like the old twins, it doesnít. Much thinner tone, spins much faster, it has its own sound, which you may or may not like. Personally, Iím not a huge fan of the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It only sounds like the twins when two cylinders are deactivated. At revs these bike sound very different.
Thanks from dogrange

Old Jul 26th 2019, 06:31 AM   #12
Phl

I Ride: Monster S4RS, CRF450, CRF50, GROM
after riding an s1kRR at Barber and feeling faster and more confident in the first lap than ever on my 1199, i knew it was time to let her go.

got a Monster in the meantime, just to let Ducati iron out all the recalls and TSB's ...

but a V4 is on the list...
or a streetfighter. we shall see.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 09:59 AM   #13

Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
Iíve test ridden. I donít know why everyone keeps saying it sounds like the old twins, it doesnít. Much thinner tone, spins much faster, it has its own sound, which you may or may not like. Personally, Iím not a huge fan of the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Word! I cant stand that bullshit. It isnt even close on the mighty twin sound.
Twin or die.
Thanks from dogrange
Old Jul 28th 2019, 08:17 AM   #14

Heresy I know but downgraded

Ready to receive the inevitable ribbing but I traded up from a very comfortable and ok performing 2015 Honda VFR800 to a 19 V4S. I researched the bike for almost a year but made the critical mistake of not taking a test ride and did the swap the same day. After a few hundred miles I came to conclusion that at 60 years old, it was the least comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Am in pretty good shape but I came off every ride in pain. The bike was as we say in Boston wicked fast and I loved the performance but I also felt due to the riding ergonomics that I dreaded riding it. Soooo I traded it back in to the dealer and got a 19 959. I made out on the deal overall money-wise and the 959 is so much more comfortable for me. Performance is great and I really don't plan to track it - well much. If one is thinking of a V4, don't be an idiot like I was and buy it due to emotion.....

Love the 959
Thanks from Notec
Old Jul 28th 2019, 10:56 AM   #15

I Ride: 2016 Ducati Panigale 1299 S
Originally Posted by JEDBUG View Post
Ready to receive the inevitable ribbing but I traded up from a very comfortable and ok performing 2015 Honda VFR800 to a 19 V4S. I researched the bike for almost a year but made the critical mistake of not taking a test ride and did the swap the same day. After a few hundred miles I came to conclusion that at 60 years old, it was the least comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Am in pretty good shape but I came off every ride in pain. The bike was as we say in Boston wicked fast and I loved the performance but I also felt due to the riding ergonomics that I dreaded riding it. Soooo I traded it back in to the dealer and got a 19 959. I made out on the deal overall money-wise and the 959 is so much more comfortable for me. Performance is great and I really don't plan to track it - well much. If one is thinking of a V4, don't be an idiot like I was and buy it due to emotion.....

Love the 959

Funny,

I have a 1299S which has a similar riding position as the 959, and I find my bike comfortable for about 10 minutes. Then it gets hot, my balls begin to bake and I bear through it. But for about 10 glorious minutes itís great. Itís just not a good riding cycle. At the track when you are sitting back and moving around the heat is not an issue.

Iím actually looking for a more suitable street bike and the VFR800 is on my list. I live in Michigan and long straight but bumpy roads are not the best for race ready sport bikes. Back in NJ, where I used to live, there were more than enough back roads to keep me moving around the seat and not get hot.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 02:43 PM   #16

I Ride: Ducati Panigale V4S
Originally Posted by Zelnik View Post
Word! I cant stand that bullshit. It isnt even close on the mighty twin sound.
Twin or die.
That's why the Hypermotard is in the garage
Thanks from dogrange
Old Jul 29th 2019, 09:28 AM   #17

Originally Posted by Phl View Post
after riding an s1kRR at Barber and feeling faster and more confident in the first lap than ever on my 1199, i knew it was time to let her go.

got a Monster in the meantime, just to let Ducati iron out all the recalls and TSB's ...

but a V4 is on the list...
or a streetfighter. we shall see.
Definitely agree with you there. Riding the S1KRR at NJMP was awesome. I think the bike really helps you shine albeit a bit soulless. I think the V4 may be a nice balance between both.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 10:12 AM   #18

I Ride: Anything with 2 wheels!
This topic is too subjective because of the die hard L twin purists and the new non-traditionalists. My former motorcycle was a Panigale R and while I did miss the lower end torque I do enjoy the e-suspension and top end rush of the V4. It was worth it to me.
Thanks from RdashP
Old Jul 29th 2019, 03:30 PM   #19

I Ride: 2019 Panigale V4S Corse
I’ve had the 1199 (2012), 1299S (2015), Panigale R (2015) now the V4S Corse. Each one has had incremental gains in performance/handling but its huge jump to the V4. It’s a totally different riding experience and a totally different bike. I test rode the V4S several times on the freeway and through the streets and I did not think it was that much of a difference. After taking the V4S through some pretty spirited technical canyon runs in Malibu Canyons, and Ojai Canyons I decided I was wrong. I don’t plan on tracking this bike If I decide to track again it would be the V4 or V4R with higher spring rate than the stock one.
1 Better Ergos – Easier to rest my chest on the tank, I feel there is more room and my arm extension to the grip are better. Maybe it’s because I can get my butt back in the seat without sliding forward which causes me to sit up on the older models. I’m surprised more people are not commenting on the ergos more.
2) Power Band – wider power band throughout the whole rev range unlike the narrow power band of the 1199/1299 series. The bike accelerates quicker and its stupid fast.
3) Flicks/Turn in better than my 1199/1299 - The V4S is on par or better than the Panigale R. (R is so light it makes transitioning fun and effortless) they both feels like a 600. I suspect you can run lines like a 600 on the V4 on a track.
4) Better feel in the brakes. - It’s more linear like the throttle you know what your getting when you twist it as in the brake you know what you are getting when you pull the lever back.
5) Sound – Its sound good with the stock exhaust but nothing sounds better than the 1299 with Akra full system. That just sound mean.
6) Heat – Feels like the 899/959. The heat nothing close to the 1199 and 1299. I rode yesterday in 103 degree F in stop and go traffic wearing Dianese Drake textile pants and Cycle Gear heat out base layer and I had no problems at all. On the older models I had to put thermotec tape under the seat, carbon exhaust heat shield, Carbon frame covers and Carbon Fiber engine covers to reduce the heat in traffic. Although the CF looked sweet!

Its an Awesome bike I don’t think you will be disappointed if you decide to upgrade.
Thanks from The Avidmoto, SuperDuc29 and RdashP
Old Jul 29th 2019, 03:46 PM   #20

I Ride: Anything with 2 wheels!
^^^This! I didn't feel like typing.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
changing, worth