Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree30Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 25th 2019, 01:17 PM   #1

Worth changing to a V4?

Who's changed up and what do you think, the dealers keep calling and offering me deals to trade up. So far i havent been interested as the move from a base 1299 to a v4s is about 20k in our dollars but theres an 18 demo model with 3k's thats come available at a pretty good changeover thats got me thinking. This is mostly for street, usually we do 3 or 4 tankfuls on Sundays. From what I hear they are a bit soulless like an inline 4, but handling and the rest of the package is pretty good.

Old Jul 25th 2019, 01:59 PM   #2

I Ride: V4s
can understand your ‘in dubio’. I had the same recently: 1299s or V4s?
Went for V4 cause more rideable and less hot �� at low revs/ cruising, less costly desmo maintenance but still pretty much same soul. I mainly compare V4 with ultimate last air-cooled twin: my wife's M1100evo! V4 is not at all soul-less compared to hers. On the contrary: it pretty much sounds and grunts like a twin especially at low revs.
Good luck choosing��
Old Jul 25th 2019, 03:07 PM   #3

Test ride one. I did. I found it felt a typical 4 cylinder bike i.e. better overall bike, easier to ride, smoother, more comfortable, still generated heat (i felt it made more than my 1299 during my test run which i rode back to back), but with the sound of a Ducati, and obviously being newer, felt better in the handling department. It doesn't however feel like a twin (i.e. rough with twitchy throttle, which you may or may not like) and has absolutely no torque compared with the 1299 from the get go to the midrange, but what bike does?
The older the bike, the more likely there'll be issues though, so unless you're willing to come to grips with that then I'd keep the 1299 just because there won't be anything like it again (i sold mine only due to other commitments at the time). But if you want the overall better bike, there is no contest, V4.
Thanks from Paul G
Old Jul 25th 2019, 05:56 PM   #4

Originally Posted by McobraR View Post
...but with the sound of a Ducati, ...It doesn't however feel like a twin ...
Interesting contradiction?
If you take the V4 cylinder firing order for a fact, Ducati pretty much re-created a twin with 2+2 closely joined up cylinders per cycle. Howcome do you hear the twin sound, but not feel it?

... and has absolutely no torque compared with the 1299 from the get go to the midrange ...keep the 1299 just because there won't be anything like it again...
Fully agree. 20% more displacement must make the 1299 more torquee at low revs then the 1100cc V4. With Euro6 and similar environmental legislation around the world, the 1299 to me also marks the end and is the ‘purist pinnacle’ of a very special ‘twin’ era for high performance superbikes.

All in All, given these constraints, I believe Ducati did everything in their power to engineer and preserve the twin character in the V4, as much as possible yet with many advantages of 2 additional cylinders. That’s why I think Triumph deliberately choose a triple cylinder motor-concept: nJoying torque Šnd smooth more controlled modern high engine performance where needed, sitting in-between both worlds of Nm torque and HP power.

Last edited by RdashP; Jul 25th 2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 06:50 PM   #5

I Ride: Ducati Panigale V4S
What's not to like about all the recalls and technical service bulletins As of 5pm yesterday I am caught up with all TSB and recalls on my V4S. This bike has got soul. She is bitchy and requires alot of attention. Plus loads of TLC. I just did two tracks days at VIR on the North course and Full course. She is easy to ride at say 50% of my ability (I'm 50 and like beer) when you start to push her she'll remind you that she bites. I run slicks at the track. Which keeps me out of trouble but I still spin up the rear tire pretty easily.She just loves to eat rear tires. The front tires show alot of wear from all the heavy braking. I'm still trying to get used to all of the feedback (feel) both front and rear. She is laughing at me because I'm not carrying enough corner speed. Did I mention the brakes are amazing? I switched from Brembo to Versah pads which gave me even more lever feel.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:13 PM   #6

Originally Posted by RdashP View Post
Interesting contradiction?
If you take the V4 cylinder firing order for a fact, Ducati pretty much re-created a twin with 2+2 closely joined up cylinders per cycle. Howcome do you hear the twin sound, but not feel it?
I described in my post as to what i determine as 'feels like a twin'. To me it's more than just the way it sounds, its the rough nature (vibrations), twitchy throttle, and less refined torque delivery, its like riding a damn horse.
True the V4 fires 2+2, but based on me and many other accounts, the V4 has less vibrations, is easier to ride, has less torque and has a smoother power delivery, very much like any 4 cylinder litre bike out there (except maybe the R1 for me).
My judgement was based on what i felt when riding it, which is why i told the OP to test ride it beforehand and make up his own mind.
Thanks from Paul G
Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:27 PM   #7

My judgement was based on what i felt when riding it, which is why i told the OP to test ride it beforehand and make up his own mind.
Indeed empirically check it out yourselves is best.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 02:50 AM   #8

Iíve test ridden. I donít know why everyone keeps saying it sounds like the old twins, it doesnít. Much thinner tone, spins much faster, it has its own sound, which you may or may not like. Personally, Iím not a huge fan of the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Jul 26th 2019, 03:56 AM   #9

Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
I donít know why everyone keeps saying it sounds like the old twins, it doesnít.
We're just exchanging personal opinions and learn from (different) others, right? Personal experiences are biased by default. Aren't we therefore all 'right' from our own perspective?

BTW, maybe your hearing is better than mine? #peace

Ducati going from 2 to 4 cylinders is a 'touchy' subject for hardcore Ducatisti? I'm for sure not one, but do love the brand and like both motor-concepts in their own right with their pro's and cons. Besides, I consider neither concepts 'boring' relative to (too) many other motorcycle brands and (to me) 'smooth' is not the equivalent of boring.

[off-topic] What I'm not looking forward to is the dawning era of (mandatory?) eBike's: soul-less bikes just wizzing by producing almost no sound at all. Only positive seems loads of torque and zero emission? [/]

Not sure if our relative 'contra' experiences help Paul or puzzle him even more?

Again, like McobraR (to me) rightfully stated:
Paul, just ride the bloody thing yourself and find your own truth.
Thanks from The Avidmoto
Old Jul 26th 2019, 04:04 AM   #10

Have yet to ride one, but after being around a few at the track, id trade my 1199 in a second and I probably will in a year or 2.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
changing, worth