Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 9th 2019, 09:09 AM   #1

Swapping out swingarms?

Iíve been searching for some kind how-to or write up and removing the swingarm but havenít found anything. Anyone with experience doing this? Iíd say Iím pretty mechanically inclined but I just donít like going to a project blind. If someone could possibly give me a step by step and if some special tools are needed, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Old Aug 9th 2019, 09:34 AM   #2

I Ride: 1299s 2016 with Evo update and 1199s 2012 track bike, Carrilo rods, RB evo, SSTK exhaust
Swapping out swingarms?

The hardest part of this will be supporting the bike when you remove the swingarm.
Depending on what exhaust you also have fitted will also have an impact.
But my advice after doing a swingarm swap a few weeks ago-
Remove side fairing, and exhaust.
Loosen the front sprocket screw, as you will need to also remove the chain.
You will need to support the bike via the bottom of the engine, or by use of a stand with the subframe
I found that the Allen key needed to loosen the swing arm to engine axles was a bit tight, and also needs a long bit to reach the drive portion of the axle. My solution was to use an Allen key from the back side ( and attach an extra deep socket and extension to break the stiction.
The rest will be easy

Last edited by Nathanhu; Aug 9th 2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 03:58 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Nathanhu View Post
The hardest part of this will be supporting the bike when you remove the swingarm.
Depending on what exhaust you also have fitted will also have an impact.
But my advice after doing a swingarm swap a few weeks ago-
Remove side fairing, and exhaust.
Loosen the front sprocket screw, as you will need to also remove the chain.
You will need to support the bike via the bottom of the engine, or by use of a stand with the subframe
I found that the Allen key needed to loosen the swing arm to engine axles was a bit tight, and also needs a long bit to reach the drive portion of the axle. My solution was to use an Allen key from the back side ( and attach an extra deep socket and extension to break the stiction.
The rest will be easy
Do the rear sets need to come off? Looking at it, it doesnít seem like they do, can the bike then be supported with stands under the rear sets?

Thanks for your response!
Old Aug 9th 2019, 05:42 PM   #4

Find a copy of the workshop manual. a few threads on here with download links

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
swapping, swingarms