Ducati 959 Ducati 959 Forum - Ducati 959 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree7Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 1st 2017, 11:42 AM   #11

Originally Posted by Phl View Post
a superleggerea?
Welcome back

Old Jun 1st 2017, 07:45 AM   #12

i got my armour bodies 959 bodywork and ill be painting it and installing it soon.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 07:57 AM   #13
Site Sponsor

I Ride: Shopping for a new track bike...
Originally Posted by Gino230 View Post
Has anyone prepped a 959 for racing yet?

I can't find any bodywork yet, is the 1299 bodywork the same?

will the stock quick shifter still work if you swap to GP shift?

Since it doesn't have the Bosch IMU, will the TC still work if you switch tire brands?

I'm thinking super stock type mods, pipe and upmap, air filter, bodywork, gearing. In other words, the bare minimum. For CCS Heavyweight competition and AHRMA Sound of Thunder.

Thanks!

Gino
Depending on what level you're riding at, you will probably want to consider braking upgrades as well. The pipe and map won't get you much on a 959, I'd still do it just to reduce heat, but don't expect much more power. The Pirelli Superbike Slicks work GREAT with the stock DTC, can't speak to Dunlop since it's been at least 10 years since I've ran a set on the track.
Thanks from youngR
Old Jun 1st 2017, 08:08 AM   #14

Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
Depending on what level you're riding at, you will probably want to consider braking upgrades as well. The pipe and map won't get you much on a 959, I'd still do it just to reduce heat, but don't expect much more power. The Pirelli Superbike Slicks work GREAT with the stock DTC, can't speak to Dunlop since it's been at least 10 years since I've ran a set on the track.

Jarel, what does a track prepped 939 typically dyno around with the usuals? Pipe, filter etc.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 08:21 AM   #15
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by shakazulu12 View Post
Jarel, what does a track prepped 939 typically dyno around with the usuals? Pipe, filter etc.
Don't know, I have never paid attention to or cared about dyno runs on track bikes. Every dyno is different anyway, all I care about is what is my lap time and what's my top speed on a known straightaway. The primary time I think a dyno is helpful is if the bike isn't running well and needs to be fixed, it's great for diagnostics. Or if you do an upgrade, you can compare before & after to make sure it didn't great a torque dip somewhere.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 08:28 AM   #16

I just installed my ABS delete kit i got from jarel. brake lines fit a little tight and if they were extended about 1/2" things would be a little easier but im happy and got them all lined up. I havn't ridden the bike yet but lever feel is quite a bit firmer and the lever doesn't feel like there is a ton of air in the lines anymore. id imagine the bike will brake very well now even before I put a RCS19 on it soon.

@Jarel, im leaning towards the Termi front exit slipons but if i did the termi full system at a cost of an extra couple hundred is the heat reduction that much greater? im not concerned with power output but rather a smooth throttle and a little sound won't hurt.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 09:16 AM   #17
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rinzlr View Post
I just installed my ABS delete kit i got from jarel. brake lines fit a little tight and if they were extended about 1/2" things would be a little easier but im happy and got them all lined up. I havn't ridden the bike yet but lever feel is quite a bit firmer and the lever doesn't feel like there is a ton of air in the lines anymore. id imagine the bike will brake very well now even before I put a RCS19 on it soon.

@Jarel, im leaning towards the Termi front exit slipons but if i did the termi full system at a cost of an extra couple hundred is the heat reduction that much greater? im not concerned with power output but rather a smooth throttle and a little sound won't hurt.
I'm always worried when someone says "tight" and "brake lines" in the same sentence. With the forks fully extended, is there still slack in the brake lines?? If not, then that's a potential catastrophic issue and needs to be fixed. If you're just saying the routing was a little tight, but you still have slack at full extension then it's ok. You definitely

As far as getting rid of heat, it's the catalytic converters in the stock mufflers that produce most of the heat I'm talking about, so just a race slip-on gets rid of that. Lean fueling runs a little hotter too, but that pales in comparison to how much heat those cats put out.
Thanks from youngR and Rinzlr
Old Jun 1st 2017, 09:40 AM   #18

Don't know, I have never paid attention to or cared about dyno runs on track bikes. Every dyno is different anyway, all I care about is what is my lap time and what's my top speed on a known straightaway. The primary time I think a dyno is helpful is if the bike isn't running well and needs to be fixed, it's great for diagnostics. Or if you do an upgrade, you can compare before & after to make sure it didn't great a torque dip somewhere.

Oh I totally get you on that. I was just curious since they don't seem to be spoken of much. Seems like they would be a fun sort of Super middleweight with the extra torque they have.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 11:33 AM   #19

I'm always worried when someone says "tight" and "brake lines" in the same sentence. With the forks fully extended, is there still slack in the brake lines?? If not, then that's a potential catastrophic issue and needs to be fixed. If you're just saying the routing was a little tight, but you still have slack at full extension then it's ok.

i lifted the bike on a headlift stand and the lines aren't being pulled or anything. they have a little slack but not quite like other brake line kits i've had in the past. they just needed to be adjusted at the heads to have the "t" line up right. just took a little moving of stuff. I also rerouted my speed sensor wire to outside the fender so the warmer doesn't grab it like it had been doing.

next up is a rcs19 and to have my ohlins carts resprung before i go back to the track but i just had collarbone surgery yesterday so that'll be a few weeks. my ohlins shock is currently getting sprung with a lighter spring for my weight.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 12:39 PM   #20
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by shakazulu12 View Post
Oh I totally get you on that. I was just curious since they don't seem to be spoken of much. Seems like they would be a fun sort of Super middleweight with the extra torque they have.
The 959 is FAST, noticeably faster than the 899. If you can't keep up with a liter bike on a 959, it's either a really long track (COTA, Road America, etc.) or it's not the bike's fault! Ha ha!

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299 > Ducati 959

Tags
959, prep, race