Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199 > Ducati Superleggera

Ducati Superleggera Ducati Superleggera Forum - Ducati Superleggera Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree8Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Gecko's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Switzerland

Posts: 1,820
Thanks: 1728

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
SL fairing is wider on the right side

Uhhh....
After trying to install a non-OEM rear set on the SL I had the shocking experience that the fairing at the right side of the bike is wider at the point where the brake lever is. The brake lever actually would scratch the fairing massively!

Did anyone else of you already successfully installed another rear set? And if yes, which one? Would DP fit?
Gecko is offline  
 
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:03 AM   #2
Stw
Moderator
 
Stw's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Dallas.Tx

Posts: 6,381
Thanks: 2538

SL doesnt come with DP rear set as stock???
Stw is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Gecko's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Switzerland

Posts: 1,820
Thanks: 1728

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
Nope, they made a special really superlight SL version, milled out of billet aluminium. It's really very light, but I don't like it. First it does not allow reverse shifting and second its finishing does not satisfy my demands. And third the pivot bolts are the same as on the any Panigale, no Ti. And forth I suspect that the OEM rear set is too weak in case of crashing the bike....
Thanks from Phl
Gecko is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
double0's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,397
Thanks: 1457

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
I had a similar problem when having my HQ Racing rearsets fitted and the installer used the wrong spacer for both sides. They came with two different sized spacers which went on the inside part of the shifter lever which allowed proper clearance but the mechanic accidentally switched the two until I realized it before leaving the shop and made him take it apart to swap the spacers for the correct side. I'm not sure if yours has this but if it does, I'd say check that.
Thanks from Gecko
double0 is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Gecko's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Switzerland

Posts: 1,820
Thanks: 1728

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
Originally Posted by double0 View Post
I had a similar problem when having my HQ Racing rearsets fitted and the installer used the wrong spacer for both sides. They came with two different sized spacers which went on the inside part of the shifter lever which allowed proper clearance but the mechanic accidentally switched the two until I realized it before leaving the shop and made him take it apart to swap the spacers for the correct side. I'm not sure if yours has this but if it does, I'd say check that.
Very good point! Thank you double0. I already checked for wrong assembly. It's really the fairing that is different. It's so weird, because Ducati seems to have tried to get rid of the "melting fairing issue". But the exhaust pipe does not have this spring hook at all at this spot, its akrapovic, not termignoni
Gecko is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
double0's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,397
Thanks: 1457

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
Yup. No place to fit that spacer on the akra. I just put that reflective tape on the inside of my fairing after having the dealer replace it.

Dont know what else it could be. It was my right side that was barely touching the fairing too and the spacer is the first thing I noticed since they are two different sizes.
double0 is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Gecko's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Switzerland

Posts: 1,820
Thanks: 1728

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
It's really the fairing that has a different shape
Attached Thumbnails
SL fairing is wider on the right side-dsc_0001.jpg  
Gecko is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mark419ny's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: South Florida

Posts: 5,391
Thanks: 1969

I Ride: 2015 R1 2014 HP4 2012 1199 S sold 2007 zx10r and zx6r both sold
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
Nope, they made a special really superlight SL version, milled out of billet aluminium. It's really very light, but I don't like it. First it does not allow reverse shifting and second its finishing does not satisfy my demands. And third the pivot bolts are the same as on the any Panigale, no Ti. And forth I suspect that the OEM rear set is too weak in case of crashing the bike....
i dont know why these manufactures make a RACE bike without allowing for gp shift. maybe it should be gp shift only.

this is the second bike now that its a pain in the ass to get gp shift.

the hp4 you have to cut the belly pan (which you pay 2k for) to get gp shift . its an inexcusable oversight to me
Thanks from Phl, Gecko, Claymore and 2 others
mark419ny is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jello's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
From: New York, NY

Posts: 350
Thanks: 205

I Ride: 2014 1199 Superleggera #218
My SL is GP shifted - it was no problem. I'm using the stock SL rearsets. You just need the DP reverse shift rod and you're good to go.

I think the rearsets are fine on the SL, but in true Ducati fashion the footpegs are still slippery - so I may keep the rearsets but replace just the footpegs.
Thanks from Gecko
Jello is offline  
Old Aug 16th 2014, 01:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 1,377
Thanks: 394

I Ride: Ducati 2010 SFS, Ducati 2012 1199 S
Originally Posted by mark419ny View Post
i dont know why these manufactures make a RACE bike without allowing for gp shift. maybe it should be gp shift only.

this is the second bike now that its a pain in the ass to get gp shift.

the hp4 you have to cut the belly pan (which you pay 2k for) to get gp shift . its an inexcusable oversight to me

So the legendary BMW HP4 isn't perfect
What's the world coming to

In all fairness.
The SL is not really a "race bike". It just has some features of a race bike.
The HP4 is in the exact same league.

Just like the "R"(only more evolved), the SL is simply a highly developed street legal package which is only put together to demonstrate to, and inspire the proletariat into embracing the company's technological expertise.

In summary.
It's a marketing exercise
Brad is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199 > Ducati Superleggera

Tags
fairing, side, wider



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Left side Red S mid fairing Kevin1199 Classifieds 0 Jul 13th 2014 09:47 AM
Want To Buy: 1199 right side mid fairing Kevin1199 Classifieds 4 Jun 20th 2014 03:21 PM
how do you remove the rear cylinder black side fairing asphaltkisser Ducati 1199 9 Jan 26th 2014 12:43 PM
Want To Buy: Stock clutch cover and right side rear fairing Adriandzo Want To Buy 3 Sep 3rd 2013 08:51 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed