Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199 > Ducati Superleggera

Ducati Superleggera Ducati Superleggera Forum - Ducati Superleggera Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree4Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 25th 2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: uk

Posts: 270
Thanks: 92

Wonder Why?

Ducati or Akrapovic Fitted 2 different variants of the System fitted to the SL??
(Bolted Clamps v Spring+Hook)

All the Pictures I have seen on the web show the usual spring and hook setup, yet the system I bought that came off a new SL Has for some reason a Huge Ring and nut/bolt type Clamp design were the race Y pipe meets up with the rears upper and the fronts Righthand side pipework?????

Tightening up the clamp that sits inside the swingarms hole is impossible, more so because the pipework has a locating pin for the clamp so does not allow you any option of fitting the clamp in any other way round.

So,
I wonder why or when Ducati or Akrapovic Decided to change the design ?
imbloodyskintagain is offline  
 
Old Aug 25th 2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Phl
Moderator
 
Phl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: here

Posts: 7,031
Thanks: 3668

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, FZR400, GROM
ummm, why would it be fair that only i am challenged by something like this
Thanks from imbloodyskintagain
Phl is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2014, 08:48 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Claymore's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: South Africa

Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 501

I Ride: Ducati Panigale S Tricolore
Originally Posted by imbloodyskintagain View Post
Ducati or Akrapovic Fitted 2 different variants of the System fitted to the SL??
(Bolted Clamps v Spring+Hook)

All the Pictures I have seen on the web show the usual spring and hook setup, yet the system I bought that came off a new SL Has for some reason a Huge Ring and nut/bolt type Clamp design were the race Y pipe meets up with the rears upper and the fronts Righthand side pipework?????

Tightening up the clamp that sits inside the swingarms hole is impossible, more so because the pipework has a locating pin for the clamp so does not allow you any option of fitting the clamp in any other way round.

So,
I wonder why or when Ducati or Akrapovic Decided to change the design ?
How sure are you that your system came off a SL?
Claymore is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Norfolk. UK

Posts: 1,089
Thanks: 541

I Ride: 1299S
Originally Posted by imbloodyskintagain View Post
Ducati or Akrapovic Fitted 2 different variants of the System fitted to the SL??
(Bolted Clamps v Spring+Hook)

All the Pictures I have seen on the web show the usual spring and hook setup, yet the system I bought that came off a new SL Has for some reason a Huge Ring and nut/bolt type Clamp design were the race Y pipe meets up with the rears upper and the fronts Righthand side pipework?????

Tightening up the clamp that sits inside the swingarms hole is impossible, more so because the pipework has a locating pin for the clamp so does not allow you any option of fitting the clamp in any other way round.

So,
I wonder why or when Ducati or Akrapovic Decided to change the design ?
Try this:

Support the bike on axle stands by placing a steel bar through each swing arm pivot bolt and rest them on each stand.

Unbolt the exhaust system at the both front and rear cylinder heads and at the rear muffler bracket points and the top two bolts of the exhaust bracket under the engine.

Lower the whole system down as far as it will go, until it will inevitably foul on the rear of the engine/floor, whichever comes first. You might need to disconnect the front lambda sensor wire plug (next to the oil pressure switch) if there is not enough play in the cable. You should now have sufficient access to be able to tighten the clamps, previously inaccessible.

Raise the system back up into position and re-attach the front and rear header pipes and exhaust muffler support bolts and bracket bolts. If you removed it, then the subframe.

You will find it much easier if you remove the rear subframe first as well. It only takes ten minutes to remove the whole assembly.

No guarantees this will work but I hope it may be of help! ....Topo
Thanks from imbloodyskintagain
topolino is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: uk

Posts: 270
Thanks: 92

Originally Posted by claymore View Post
how sure are you that your system came off a sl?
100%
imbloodyskintagain is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:50 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: uk

Posts: 270
Thanks: 92

Still very happy with system, Got it for 500 less then cheapest eu seller.

Just interested as to why Ducati changed to this much worse fitment setup instead of sticking with the spring and hook fitment like the rest of the SL's I have seen??

Was abit gutted that the SL Akrapovic Systems pipework isn't all made from Titanium though. But hey, doesn't make the bike go any slower
imbloodyskintagain is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
mark419ny's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: South Florida

Posts: 5,113
Thanks: 1869

I Ride: 2012 1199s 2014 HP4 2007 zx6r (track)
Originally Posted by imbloodyskintagain View Post
Still very happy with system, Got it for 500 less then cheapest eu seller.

Just interested as to why Ducati changed to this much worse fitment setup instead of sticking with the spring and hook fitment like the rest of the SL's I have seen??

Was abit gutted that the SL Akrapovic Systems pipework isn't all made from Titanium though. But hey, doesn't make the bike go any slower
because ducati wants you to bring it in when it breaks so they can fix it. same reason why the fairing screws look like crap when you actually have to take a faring off to change oil. same reason its a project to do anything yourself on this bike. as always ducati thinks things out fully half way. no common sense.

why does ducati use a boot to protect the electronic suspension that will split after time and not make a replacement where you have to buy a brand new harness?

rumor has it that akra makes the original exhaust on the regular panigale

Last edited by mark419ny; Aug 25th 2014 at 11:01 AM.
mark419ny is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: uk

Posts: 270
Thanks: 92

Originally Posted by mark419ny View Post
because ducati wants you to bring it in when it breaks so they can fix it.
Actually,
That makes me wonder if they (Ducati) were worried about the spring hooks breaking over time on that part of the system, so went for the safer option of using the huge bolt and clamp setup???

Would just love to know there reasoning as to why they did it along with why the didn't use Titanium for the stumpy header pipes.

Maybe Ducati or Akrapovic did it to lower the risk of possible warranty claims in the future??

Also,
Would like to see how many other SL Owners got the Crap Clamp setup with there SL's ??

Last edited by imbloodyskintagain; Aug 25th 2014 at 11:50 AM.
imbloodyskintagain is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2014, 12:18 PM   #9
Phl
Moderator
 
Phl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: here

Posts: 7,031
Thanks: 3668

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, FZR400, GROM
IIRC, the full akra system is Ti. any actual owners who can respond?

their website emphasizes the Ti casting process for the first header parts coming off the cylinder heads...


imbloodyskintagain - i guess you will just have to ship me your headers and get the "real" ones...
Phl is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2014, 12:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: uk

Posts: 270
Thanks: 92

Originally Posted by Phl View Post
IIRC, the full akra system is Ti. any actual owners who can respond?

their website emphasizes the Ti casting process for the first header parts coming off the cylinder heads...
Yer Phil,
The Retail off the shelf Akro system is all 100% Titanium. The SL System isn't.

Originally Posted by Phl View Post

imbloodyskintagain - i guess you will just have to ship me your headers and get the "real" ones...
Thanks from Phl
imbloodyskintagain is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199 > Ducati Superleggera



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed