Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Forum > Ducati SuperSport

Ducati SuperSport Ducati SuperSport Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 28th 2019, 08:20 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2019
From: Oregon

Posts: 23
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 1993 Ducati 900 Superlight
Question Ca-Cycleworks Ignition Coils

In the event that I have to replace the ignition coils on my 1993 Ducati 900 Superlight, I am looking at a replacement kit sold by Ca-Cycleworks. Being unfamiliar with the company, I would appreciate any feedback on the company & their products.

Thank you so much.
kitjv is offline  
 
Old Sep 28th 2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
youngR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: USA

Posts: 2,949
Thanks: 1167

I Ride: Panigale R | MTS1000
Originally Posted by kitjv View Post
In the event that I have to replace the ignition coils on my 1993 Ducati 900 Superlight, I am looking at a replacement kit sold by Ca-Cycleworks. Being unfamiliar with the company, I would appreciate any feedback on the company & their products.

Thank you so much.
From what I know, they've been around for a long time. They moved to GA. I've purchased few parts from them in the past.

You are ok with buying from them.
youngR is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2019, 06:58 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2019
From: Oregon

Posts: 23
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 1993 Ducati 900 Superlight
Thank you, youngR. That seems to be the consensus.
kitjv is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2019, 07:54 PM   #4
Phl
Moderator
 
Phl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: here

Posts: 7,706
Thanks: 4216

I Ride: Monster S4RS, CRF450, CRF50, GROM
I think they’re the gang I bought my Monster S4RS belts from

Seem to be good
Phl is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2019, 06:14 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2019
From: Oregon

Posts: 23
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 1993 Ducati 900 Superlight
Question

I have a somewhat embarrassing question. Yesterday I replaced the OEM HT coils and plug wires with new coils from CA-Cycleworks. Installation was quite simple. However, when I attempted to start the bike, the engine cranked but would not start. When I applied some choke, the engine would backfire with the report of a high-powered rifle.

My first thought was that I had somehow reversed the plug wires. However, I verified (in the Hanes manual) that the left coil feeds the horizontal cylinder & the right coil feeds that vertical cylinder.

Am I missing something really obvious here? Thank you.

Kit
kitjv is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2019, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Roseville

Posts: 196
Thanks: 58

Originally Posted by kitjv View Post
I have a somewhat embarrassing question. Yesterday I replaced the OEM HT coils and plug wires with new coils from CA-Cycleworks. Installation was quite simple. However, when I attempted to start the bike, the engine cranked but would not start. When I applied some choke, the engine would backfire with the report of a high-powered rifle.

My first thought was that I had somehow reversed the plug wires. However, I verified (in the Hanes manual) that the left coil feeds the horizontal cylinder & the right coil feeds that vertical cylinder.

Am I missing something really obvious here? Thank you.

Kit
You probably reversed the signal wires.
Domino is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2019, 01:22 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2019
From: Oregon

Posts: 23
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 1993 Ducati 900 Superlight
Domino, I thought of that this morning. But the location of the signal wires where they exit the harness seemed like I couldn't have reversed them. But the symptoms suggest that I must have.

Tomorrow I will reverse the wires & report back. Thank you for your help.
kitjv is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2019, 02:38 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2019
From: Oregon

Posts: 23
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 1993 Ducati 900 Superlight
Question

Well, I reversed the 2 electrical wires to each HT coil. I'm disappointed to say that the problem of not starting & loud backfire still persisted. I suppose that I can take some minor satisfaction in knowing that I had the wiring to the coils correct in the first place. Nevertheless, that leaves me dumbfounded as to why the engine backfires & won't start.

This leaves me thinking that the source of the problem might be downstream at the pickup coils and/or the wiring harness to the HT coils.

I might mention that the reason I replaced the HT coils & the plug wires was in an effort to find the cause of randomly losing spark at the vertical cylinder.

Any thoughts that you might have would be truly appreciated. Thank you.

Kit
kitjv is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2019, 09:28 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
youngR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: USA

Posts: 2,949
Thanks: 1167

I Ride: Panigale R | MTS1000
Originally Posted by kitjv View Post
Well, I reversed the 2 electrical wires to each HT coil. I'm disappointed to say that the problem of not starting & loud backfire still persisted. I suppose that I can take some minor satisfaction in knowing that I had the wiring to the coils correct in the first place. Nevertheless, that leaves me dumbfounded as to why the engine backfires & won't start.

This leaves me thinking that the source of the problem might be downstream at the pickup coils and/or the wiring harness to the HT coils.

I might mention that the reason I replaced the HT coils & the plug wires was in an effort to find the cause of randomly losing spark at the vertical cylinder.

Any thoughts that you might have would be truly appreciated. Thank you.

Kit
Cant answer your question but I'm having similar issue with my 04 MTS 1000.

Engine died while riding short distance. Code error showed 10.2 which was horizontal coil ground.

I replaced coil wires and horizontal coil pack with used a used one, got better battery ground, new spark plugs and air filter.

Started it, it fired and ran and even did a short test ride. Next day, planned to go for a longer test ride, fired it up but after few mins, engine died again...and was having a similar issue. Checked error, and it read 11.2 which was vertical coil ground!!!

So I replaced to vertical coil pack with used one since thats only thing I didnt replaced. It fired up and ran for few mins. Now I just need to do a long test ride. lol

Maybe you need to replace spark plugs?
youngR is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2019, 10:42 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2019
From: Oregon

Posts: 23
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 1993 Ducati 900 Superlight
Originally Posted by youngR View Post
Cant answer your question but I'm having similar issue with my 04 MTS 1000.

Engine died while riding short distance. Code error showed 10.2 which was horizontal coil ground.

I replaced coil wires and horizontal coil pack with used a used one, got better battery ground, new spark plugs and air filter.

Started it, it fired and ran and even did a short test ride. Next day, planned to go for a longer test ride, fired it up but after few mins, engine died again...and was having a similar issue. Checked error, and it read 11.2 which was vertical coil ground!!!

So I replaced to vertical coil pack with used one since thats only thing I didnt replaced. It fired up and ran for few mins. Now I just need to do a long test ride. lol

Maybe you need to replace spark plugs?
I have not directly addressed the random issue of the vertical cylinder losing spark yet. I am still trying to get the engine to start & stop backfiring since I installed the new HT coils from CA-Cycleworks. Chis at CA-Cycleworks suggested that I first install the NGK DR9EA plugs (which were inadvertently omitted when the new coils were sent to me). If the problem persists, he wanted me to call him back.
kitjv is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Forum > Ducati SuperSport

Tags
cacycleworks, coils, ignition



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Ignition Darren Classifieds 5 Mar 5th 2019 05:36 PM
Spark plug wires/coils Domino Mechanical and Technical 2 Oct 8th 2018 07:19 PM
New Ignition JarHead Mechanical and Technical 3 Jan 5th 2018 01:30 AM
Ignition hot wire AG6 Mechanical and Technical 8 Jun 10th 2015 07:02 AM
No ignition??? akunochi Ducati 1199 3 Apr 29th 2015 02:52 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed