Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati V4

Ducati V4 Ducati Panigale V4 Forum - Ducati V4 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree57Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 05:06 AM   #41
Member
 
Phil1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Zurich, Switzerland

Posts: 62
Thanks: 38

I Ride: 1299 S (2016) / 1199R Superstock (2014) (from Barni Racing)
I had the opportunity to ride the V4 in Aragon two days ago and take the opportunity to post my impressions. It was my friends bike, who was friendly enough to lend it to me for 5 laps. Therefore, I didn't go too hard in order not to crash it.

Coming from my V2 1199R Superstock bike, the V4 is so much more nimble at turning, it feels like a bicycle! Also the flick from left to right is mentally fast and razor sharp. With the current suspension set up it's already pretty stable at braking. Without floating brake disks, turn in on braking is a bit harder and the bike to prone to "stand up".

The engine is a beast and the power is scary (226hp at the crank at the moment, bit over 200hp at the wheel). I have never experienced anything like it before. The way this bike pulls from 250 to 300 kph is out of this world! It just wouldn't stop accelerating! I easily reached 300kph at the end of the back straight, even though I didn't have the balls to fully open the throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear and lost quite a bit at the beginning of the straight coming out of the tight 2nd gear left corner. It's basically impossible to keep the front wheel on the ground in gears 1-3. The engine runs a lot smoother then the V2, but apart from this, sounds and feels very much like a V-twin still, but with less engine braking.

The bike was built by Barni Racing in Italy. They are currently testing in the Italian Superbike Championship (CIV). Two of their mechanics were with us on track and were dialing in the suspension and bike geometry. They tried quite a bit over the curse of three days and found a good set up at the end. Ivan Goy and Luca Confort will test/confirm the set up in Mugello this week. Also the electronics are not yet fully adjusted and reliable. The engine with the current tune (Akrapovic exhaust with standard up-map from Ducati) is too aggressive, anti-wheely control not reliably working and the quick shifter only works in lower revs when downshifting. Bit of work to do still for Ducati.

Some minor problems to be sorted out. But the bike has loads of potential! I think I'll have to get one next year.
Thanks from MotoX183, Riki, crossdx and 1 others
Phil1199 is offline  
 
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 06:33 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Hatchet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Foxboro,MA

Posts: 103
Thanks: 19

I Ride: 1199 Tri
Originally Posted by Phil1199 View Post
I had the opportunity to ride the V4 in Aragon two days ago and take the opportunity to post my impressions. It was my friends bike, who was friendly enough to lend it to me for 5 laps. Therefore, I didn't go too hard in order not to crash it.

Coming from my V2 1199R Superstock bike, the V4 is so much more nimble at turning, it feels like a bicycle! Also the flick from left to right is mentally fast and razor sharp. With the current suspension set up it's already pretty stable at braking. Without floating brake disks, turn in on braking is a bit harder and the bike to prone to "stand up".

The engine is a beast and the power is scary (226hp at the crank at the moment, bit over 200hp at the wheel). I have never experienced anything like it before. The way this bike pulls from 250 to 300 kph is out of this world! It just wouldn't stop accelerating! I easily reached 300kph at the end of the back straight, even though I didn't have the balls to fully open the throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear and lost quite a bit at the beginning of the straight coming out of the tight 2nd gear left corner. It's basically impossible to keep the front wheel on the ground in gears 1-3. The engine runs a lot smoother then the V2, but apart from this, sounds and feels very much like a V-twin still, but with less engine braking.

The bike was built by Barni Racing in Italy. They are currently testing in the Italian Superbike Championship (CIV). Two of their mechanics were with us on track and were dialing in the suspension and bike geometry. They tried quite a bit over the curse of three days and found a good set up at the end. Ivan Goy and Luca Confort will test/confirm the set up in Mugello this week. Also the electronics are not yet fully adjusted and reliable. The engine with the current tune (Akrapovic exhaust with standard up-map from Ducati) is too aggressive, anti-wheely control not reliably working and the quick shifter only works in lower revs when downshifting. Bit of work to do still for Ducati.

Some minor problems to be sorted out. But the bike has loads of potential! I think I'll have to get one next year.
Great review Phil , Iím starting to build my V4S for racing so thanks for the heads up on the few things you talked about
Thanks from MotoX183
Hatchet is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:03 AM   #43
Member
 
Phil1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Zurich, Switzerland

Posts: 62
Thanks: 38

I Ride: 1299 S (2016) / 1199R Superstock (2014) (from Barni Racing)
Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
Great review Phil , Iím starting to build my V4S for racing so thanks for the heads up on the few things you talked about
Happy to help. A harder spring will be a good investment. And you will have to lift the back quite a bit (3-5cm) plus lower the front to stop the bike's back from pumping at corner exit under hard acceleration. Same problems the 1199 had in the beginning of its evolution.
Phil1199 is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2018, 10:18 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Hatchet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Foxboro,MA

Posts: 103
Thanks: 19

I Ride: 1199 Tri
Originally Posted by Phil1199 View Post
Happy to help. A harder spring will be a good investment. And you will have to lift the back quite a bit (3-5cm) plus lower the front to stop the bike's back from pumping at corner exit under hard acceleration. Same problems the 1199 had in the beginning of its evolution.
Thanks Phil1199
If you have other info I would appreciate it, Iím trying to get my V4S ready for racing
Hatchet is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2018, 05:27 PM   #45
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: North Carolina

Posts: 95
Thanks: 38

I Ride: Ducati Panigale V4S
I'm looking at the PRE schedule I thinking about a trackday at VIR in June. Your rear tire has similar wear to mine after Barber. I used 25 cold. I got my chart from the Pirelli tire vendor last year after a purchase of some sticky SuperCorsa SC-1s. My chart say 29/25. I don't use tire warmers.
Thanks from jbraslins
carlpretzel is offline  
Old May 22nd 2018, 12:12 PM   #46
Member
 
jbraslins's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: Wake Forest, NC

Posts: 56
Thanks: 45

Just did another track day with TPM @ VIR. Thinking about getting 2nd set of wheels to run diablo superbike slicks.

Obligatory photo:

Thanks from cavlino

Last edited by jbraslins; May 22nd 2018 at 12:14 PM.
jbraslins is offline  
Old May 29th 2018, 05:24 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: Houston

Posts: 104
Thanks: 42

I Ride: 18 Panigale V4S, 17 Aprilia Tuono Factory
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
Just did another track day with TPM @ VIR. Thinking about getting 2nd set of wheels to run diablo superbike slicks.

Obligatory photo:

Awesome shot!
Thanks from jbraslins
thorny is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 10:47 AM   #48
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: North Carolina

Posts: 95
Thanks: 38

I Ride: Ducati Panigale V4S
Great photos! I'm registered with P.R.E. VIR south on June 15th and Sportbike tracktime at Road Atlanta August 4th.
Thanks from jbraslins
carlpretzel is offline  
Old Jun 11th 2018, 02:25 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
chillo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2015
From: UK

Posts: 118
Thanks: 22

I Ride: v4s, 1299s & CRF450x
Originally Posted by maslov View Post


Here's the guide for anyone interested


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesn't mention the 200/60 Supercorsa v3?

Anyone got any official numbers from Pirelli?
I've been using 29 cold on the road - at the Isle of Man TT last week and it was working really well on the unrestricted mountain circuit! I was really pushing it!
chillo is online now  
Old Jun 16th 2018, 06:40 AM   #50
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: North Carolina

Posts: 95
Thanks: 38

I Ride: Ducati Panigale V4S
I used 32 front 27 rear yesterday at VIR south. I don't use warmers. I measured them after each session. Looks like I'm in the range for DOT tires.
carlpretzel is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati V4

Tags
track, v4s



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PNW Track Day Riders: Track Time Track Day Pass For Sale - Discount! NW1299 Ducati 1299 4 Aug 4th 2017 04:03 PM
2nd track day on YAS wampire Ducati 1199 4 Oct 20th 2014 10:35 AM
Took the R to the track ddd269 Ducati 1199 9 Apr 29th 2013 10:42 PM
Would you track your Pani if it wasn't insured on the track? 4theride Racing 52 Apr 23rd 2013 06:23 PM
track day @ new track: atlanta motorsports park Phl Racing 10 Aug 12th 2012 06:26 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed