Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati V4

Ducati V4 Ducati Panigale V4 Forum - Ducati V4 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree6Thanks
  • 1 Post By Critical69
  • 1 Post By cavlino
  • 2 Post By The Avidmoto
  • 1 Post By Nitrouz
  • 1 Post By Critical69
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 14th 2018, 09:50 AM   #1
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: Toronto

Posts: 51
Thanks: 27

I Ride: Currently Ninja ZX10R
What did I do wrong???

So I just finished my first decent ride in warm weather and when I opened the gas cap to fuel up I got a face full of gas.. it sprayed about 5 in the air and got all over me and the bike...

Has anyone had this happen to them? What did I do wrong? Now Im afraid to open the gas cap


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks from cavlino
Critical69 is offline  
 
Old Apr 14th 2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
gnance's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Juneau, AK

Posts: 738
Thanks: 318

I Ride: Motorcycles
Sounds like it's not venting
gnance is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2018, 10:04 AM   #3
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2018
From: Ottawa

Posts: 78
Thanks: 45

That's nuts and scary! I'm glad you are okay. I have not heard this issue before.

I have had it happen on my car and the issue was with the gas evap system.

I have a feeling people are gong to tell you to get rid of the fuel evap canister which apparently also gets rid of some of the stalling people have experienced.
Thanks from DarR
cavlino is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: Toronto

Posts: 51
Thanks: 27

I Ride: Currently Ninja ZX10R
Originally Posted by cavlino View Post
That's nuts and scary! I'm glad you are okay. I have not heard this issue before.



I have had it happen on my car and the issue was with the gas evap system.



I have a feeling people are gong to tell you to get rid of the fuel evap canister which apparently also gets rid of some of the stalling people have experienced.


Yeah my plan was to have it removed at first service.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Critical69 is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2018, 03:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Macattack's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Indiana

Posts: 576
Thanks: 338

I Ride: 1299S
Originally Posted by Critical69 View Post
So I just finished my first decent ride in warm weather and when I opened the gas cap to fuel up I got a face full of gas.. it sprayed about 5 in the air and got all over me and the bike...

Has anyone had this happen to them? What did I do wrong? Now Im afraid to open the gas cap


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
strange
are you saying the bike was on its side stand sitting perfectly still and are you saying an empty tank sprayed fuel on you? I'd definitely be letting the dealer know

Is It the new V4 Panigale ?
Macattack is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2018, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
The Avidmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Central Jersey

Posts: 746
Thanks: 345

I Ride: Anything with 2 wheels!
This past Friday, the same thing happened at the dealer after I test rode the V4. We got gas before our test ride and then rode for about an hour. After we returned, you could hear hissing and gurgling sounds from the fuel tank. When my salesman opening the gas cap, the fuel popped out about 6 inches and then shot out like a geyser and almost caught him in the face. It turned out to be a pinched fuel line. He said that the dealership will now check for fuel lines before the customer takes delivery.
Thanks from cavlino and Critical69
The Avidmoto is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2018, 05:02 PM   #7
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: Washington

Posts: 98
Thanks: 68

It's also important to fill the tank with the bike on its stand. I was told if you fill the tank with the bike upright, like when you're still on it, you can easily overfill and cause it to over pressurize.
MaverickiB is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2018, 05:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Nitrouz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
From: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 735
Thanks: 657

I Ride: V4S, 1199R, Supersport S
My first v4 had pressure in the fuel tank... Didn't shoot out like yours but after a good ride, when I opened it I could feel the pressure pushing it open.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Thanks from Critical69
Nitrouz is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2018, 04:15 AM   #9
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: Toronto

Posts: 51
Thanks: 27

I Ride: Currently Ninja ZX10R
Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
strange

are you saying the bike was on its side stand sitting perfectly still and are you saying an empty tank sprayed fuel on you? I'd definitely be letting the dealer know



Is It the new V4 Panigale ?


Yeah the new panigale v4 and the bike was on the kickstand. I opened the cap to fill the tank and the pressure shot gas out the cap.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks from Macattack
Critical69 is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2018, 05:30 AM   #10
Member
 
DarR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2016
From: Ontario, CANADA

Posts: 67
Thanks: 18

Had the same issue (in reverse) on my Panigale.
Clogged venting caused a vacuum. Tech removed the evap canister and the problem was solved.
DarR is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati V4

Tags
wrong



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who said NO V4 looks like you were wrong mark419ny Ducati 1299 21 Feb 4th 2017 06:45 AM
There is nothing wrong with my bike!!! BRT Ducati 1299 11 Jul 14th 2015 04:50 PM
Somebody please prove me wrong Castor Troy Ducati 1199 41 Apr 25th 2013 07:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong please, but IIRC; RSR racer Ducati 1199 3 Apr 20th 2013 04:54 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed