Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati V4

Ducati V4 Ducati Panigale V4 Forum - Ducati V4 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree16Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 17th 2018, 07:29 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2018
From: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 4
Thanks: 1

V4 as a daily bike?

I am considering buying a V4 for my daily commuter. Does anyone have an opinion on this bike for daily use? Also will I regret not getting the "S" or is it overkill for the street?
jayers is offline  
 
Old Jul 17th 2018, 07:34 AM   #2
Member
 
ajctraveler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2017
From: NYC

Posts: 90
Thanks: 65

I Ride: Panigale V4
Originally Posted by jayers View Post
I am considering buying a V4 for my daily commuter. Does anyone have an opinion on this bike for daily use? Also will I regret not getting the "S" or is it overkill for the street?
I daily ride mine sometimes. Probably depends on how much of your commute is on open roads vs. light to light. But I would say the biggest question you have to ask yourself is how often are you going to be stuck in traffic? If it's at all often, then don't do it. If not, go for it.
ajctraveler is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2018, 07:44 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2018
From: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 4
Thanks: 1

Thanks for your reply. 30 minute commute in Los Angeles. Mostly freeway, carpool lanes and lane splitting.
jayers is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Member
 
ajctraveler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2017
From: NYC

Posts: 90
Thanks: 65

I Ride: Panigale V4
Originally Posted by jayers View Post
Thanks for your reply. 30 minute commute in Los Angeles. Mostly freeway, carpool lanes and lane splitting.
I'd do it in your situation. If the traffic is moving you're good, and if it gets really slow you can safely and legally lane split.
Thanks from jayers
ajctraveler is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
apeluv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: St. Louis, MO via Detroit, MI

Posts: 185
Thanks: 22

I Ride: 2018 Ducati Panigale V4
I use mine as a daily commuter also. Mornings are fun since I have to get to work at 6:30am and barely any traffic on the highways. 40 minute ride to work. After work traffic is a different story. If you're getting the heatwave that we got, here in MO, then sitting in traffic is the worst. But, for the ride, I put it in my customized street mode (With wet type settings; lower engine power) to cut down on the jerkiness when idling in 1st and 2nd gear.
Got my V4 in June now I have close to 1700 miles.
I had the 1299S so, IMO, the S wouldn't be beneficial for daily commuting; which is why I got the base V4. Had no need for the S extra's in my daily commuting. If you have the money to spend.. get the S just to make us base V4 owners feel bad.
If you're going to put the bike on the track; definitely get the S.
All my opinion. Others may have a different opinion.
Just change your grips to add to your comfort of daily commuting.
Thanks from jayers
apeluv is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2018, 11:38 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2018
From: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 4
Thanks: 1

Great advise. Thank you apeluv !!
jayers is offline  
Old Jul 18th 2018, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
ddd269's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Santiago, Chile

Posts: 271
Thanks: 69

I think sport bikes are the best for lane splitting especially in Los Angeles freeways. The narrow profile is perfect for that.

I took the factory mirrors off and installed CRG Hindsight LS mirror on the left side and have no problems lane splitting here. The folding feature is a big plus. The roads are much narrower in Santiago than Los Angeles.
Thanks from jayers
ddd269 is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2018, 07:36 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: NA

Posts: 246
Thanks: 40

Can I get some honest answers on the engine heat? I know its a lot of money and nobody wants to say that they are unhappy with their V4's, but whats the honest truth on the heat? I'm thinking about selling my supersport (which has heat in traffic) to step up to more power / more sporty ride, but I do a lot of weekend blasts on the street, not the track. I dont really commute, maybe on Fridays in the summer for 30 minutes or so.
spinkick is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2018, 07:49 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
The Avidmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Central Jersey

Posts: 830
Thanks: 383

I Ride: Anything with 2 wheels!
Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
Can I get some honest answers on the engine heat? I know its a lot of money and nobody wants to say that they are unhappy with their V4's, but whats the honest truth on the heat? I'm thinking about selling my supersport (which has heat in traffic) to step up to more power / more sporty ride, but I do a lot of weekend blasts on the street, not the track. I dont really commute, maybe on Fridays in the summer for 30 minutes or so.
More power will probably mean more heat.

I have the Akrapovic full exhaust and noticed my right hamstring was getting toasty after being stuck behind cars for a decent amount of time. The heat slowly dissipated after I got past the vehicles. I am a weekend warrior too and the heat that I experienced is not an issue for me.
Thanks from spinkick
The Avidmoto is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2018, 07:50 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: NA

Posts: 246
Thanks: 40

Originally Posted by The Avidmoto View Post
More power will probably mean more heat.

I have the Akrapovic full exhaust and noticed my right hamstring was getting toasty after being stuck behind cars for a decent amount of time. The heat slowly dissipated after I got past the vehicles. I am a weekend warrior too and the heat that I experienced is not an issue for me.
Yeah, I fully expect that, its physics after all. Its pretty amazing they can keep it cool at all with the power on tap. I wonder if the heat would be worse with someone without the full exhaust which I assume flows air much better.
spinkick is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati V4

Tags
bike, daily



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily bike/track bike slider417 Racing 3 Mar 2nd 2018 06:54 AM
1299 base model for Daily Commute?! RexD Ducati 1299 48 Aug 27th 2016 11:20 AM
The Daily commute Mozzie Ride Reports 8 Sep 24th 2015 12:46 PM
Daily Commuter with panigale akalapovic Ducati 1199 21 Mar 20th 2012 10:09 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed