Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati V4

Ducati V4 Ducati Panigale V4 Forum - Ducati V4 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree4Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 05:54 PM   #31
Member
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: USA

Posts: 57
Thanks: 2

Ducati philosophy

It is because of the devout Ducatisti. They have encouraged Ducati to create the generational company Philosophy: "Just deliver the bike to the customer." "Let the customer discover all the manufacturing and suppliers part defects, and have them bring the bike back to the dealership to address the problems." Ducati saves money on R&D, and the Ducati owner gets the full Ducati Experience (of having their bike in the service department more than it is on the street/ track, mainly because of the backlog of parts and bikes there for warranty work). Which serves another revenue generating purpose for Ducati. You buy other parts and have other work done thats not covered by the warranty. Also, you get to see the newest bikes (or the ones that didn't sell from the year before) on the showroom floor that you might purchase to add to your "Ducati Experience" (the customer realizes that at least 2 bikes are needed to stay on the road during the bike season, alternating them back and forth to the service department)
Thanks from lamb00j
motodoc is offline  
 
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 09:36 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: USA

Posts: 1,375
Thanks: 1289

That was an excellent assessment of the brand and the philosophy. Well done young man. I would also throw in the arrogance and pomposity of shot callers. From the factory, their bikes just aren’t very good from a mechanical perspective and worse from a maintenance perspective and some of the engineering is downright “WTF”. Their numbers speak volumes. They are mass producing bikes like never before and the ability to mass produce while handling QC is not in this companies DNA. The 1299 should have been a 12k bike out the door and then maybe some of the issues would have been a bit more palatable but 25k for a base bike that’s built like an entry level Japanese bike? “Head up ass” syndrome is in full swing in Italy. Buuuuuuut, they sure are pretty.
endodoc is offline  
Old Feb 5th 2019, 03:45 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Norfolk. UK

Posts: 1,234
Thanks: 633

I Ride: Panigale V4S
I have to agree that QC on the parts in question is lacking but more importantly it would make more sense to test a few pre-production models on an endurance basis, that is to say in varying weather conditions and on both road and track to allow the design to show up any flaws or failures before they get into the hands of consumers. Mclaren for example put over 10,000 miles on their P1 before it was even considered ready for full scale production and that was under extreme loads and at all speeds. MIRA is a testing facility in the UK that punishes a car's suspension, brakes and is as good a place as any to draw out any underlying issues that may not be present on a test rig or at least exhibit any shortcomings long before a vehicle hits the showroom floor.
topolino is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2019, 05:30 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: Houston

Posts: 170
Thanks: 66

I Ride: 18 Panigale V4S, 17 Aprilia Tuono Factory
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
I have to agree that QC on the parts in question is lacking but more importantly it would make more sense to test a few pre-production models on an endurance basis, that is to say in varying weather conditions and on both road and track to allow the design to show up any flaws or failures before they get into the hands of consumers. Mclaren for example put over 10,000 miles on their P1 before it was even considered ready for full scale production and that was under extreme loads and at all speeds. MIRA is a testing facility in the UK that punishes a car's suspension, brakes and is as good a place as any to draw out any underlying issues that may not be present on a test rig or at least exhibit any shortcomings long before a vehicle hits the showroom floor.
Agree
thorny is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2019, 05:36 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: Houston

Posts: 170
Thanks: 66

I Ride: 18 Panigale V4S, 17 Aprilia Tuono Factory
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
A smaller diameter hose will increase the pressure at the slave cylinder so in theory it should improve clutch actuation. I've changed out my slave cylinder for one with a larger diameter piston which will hopefully improve the system, lessen the throw of the lever and bring the biting point closer to the grip.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Just had my clutch hose done by the dealer. I can't tell for sure, but even though the lever was proper firm, the bite point seems to have moved to about 80% of the available travel away from the grip. Modulating the clutch is not so easy.. I kept adjusting the clutch lever to be close to the grip since no sense to be moving the lever back and forth when it only bites at almost fully released.

Dunno, but this was my first impression. It became more 'on and off' when before or so it seems. But as long as it doesn't draw air, I'll call it a success
thorny is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2019, 05:55 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2018
From: Texas

Posts: 188
Thanks: 22

Originally Posted by thorny View Post
Just had my clutch hose done by the dealer. I can't tell for sure, but even though the lever was proper firm, the bite point seems to have moved to about 80% of the available travel away from the grip. Modulating the clutch is not so easy.. I kept adjusting the clutch lever to be close to the grip since no sense to be moving the lever back and forth when it only bites at almost fully released.

Dunno, but this was my first impression. It became more 'on and off' when before or so it seems. But as long as it doesn't draw air, I'll call it a success
If you are having to adjust the lever, it is not a good sign

I believe you still have the problem
RODOLFO is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2019, 06:00 PM   #37
Member
 
Joined: Dec 2018
From: georgia

Posts: 33
Thanks: 23

Originally Posted by RODOLFO View Post
If you are having to adjust the lever, it is not a good sign

I believe you still have the problem
i think what he is saying is the clutch now engages and disengages at the begining of the lever pull which is good
nealeo is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2019, 06:39 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2018
From: Texas

Posts: 188
Thanks: 22

Originally Posted by nealeo View Post
i think what he is saying is the clutch now engages and disengages at the begining of the lever pull which is good

You are right

I got confused

Hope the problem got fixed,

really looking forward to having a nice 26k bike with a working clutch, as I have had on the past on 5k or 10k bikes
RODOLFO is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2019, 07:50 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: Houston

Posts: 170
Thanks: 66

I Ride: 18 Panigale V4S, 17 Aprilia Tuono Factory
Originally Posted by nealeo View Post
i think what he is saying is the clutch now engages and disengages at the begining of the lever pull which is good
Correct. On this bike even when the clutch is fully operational it is still not the greatest thing to use at slow speeds and in traffic. all my previous bikes had clutches that you simply didn’t think about, but this one is different. Clutch feel on my Tuono is superb too, silky smooth, progressive and very pleasant to use.

Ducati QS is good and that’s why the way this clutch operates is only a minor gripe for me (apart from it drawing air of course), but I wish it was like the one on Aprilia..
thorny is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2019, 08:00 PM   #40
Member
 
Joined: Dec 2018
From: georgia

Posts: 33
Thanks: 23

i only use the clutch for take off and tight u turns, i agree its not the greatest clutch but i dont think its the worst either lol
nealeo is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati V4

Tags
2019, clutch, issues



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clutch issues YellowSnow Ducati 1299 4 Nov 18th 2018 09:56 AM
1299S Clutch issues Tony Burton Ducati 1299 4 Jul 12th 2015 07:21 AM
Ongoing clutch issues Stw Mechanical and Technical 60 Mar 30th 2015 10:13 AM
Clutch issues pbarry Ducati 1199 7 Feb 7th 2014 03:06 PM
Clutch Issues...Anyone? flobrandx Mechanical and Technical 32 Apr 27th 2013 08:04 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed