Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati V4

Ducati V4 Ducati Panigale V4 Forum - Ducati V4 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree48Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13th 2019, 07:34 AM   #21
Hex
Junior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: The West

Posts: 28
Thanks: 12

Thanks roadracerx
Hex is offline  
 
Old Jul 9th 2019, 11:45 AM   #22
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2019
From: SoCal

Posts: 1
Thanks: 0

i'm also gawking...

so...this is a perfect thread to read up on, will continue to visit back to check any new material, similar demographics too (raced a little bit with WSMC on S1KRR, nothing like OP or Scotman)

my battle is V4S and V4R, i want to see the durability aspect of things as well. same as the 1098R with sand cast engine.

if possible people whom has raced this V4R, like to hear more about the engine as being a main load bearing of suspension, how does those hold up?

keep them coming boys!!
TsaiCo is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2019, 12:47 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: San Jose CA

Posts: 28
Thanks: 16

1,000 miles including a couple of trackdays on my V4R, so far so good. Only issue is a little bit of oil coming out of dry clutch area as some others have reported, keeping an eye on it.

My impressions-

Motor is very strong, has a hit to it at the top end. I think fueling is a little rich in middle causing the mid to top end transition to not be as smooth as it could be. Compared to typical I4 you feel a bigger surge at top end.

Suspension is soft for me, which is not surprising as I'm 6'3" 220 lbs. Forks are actually pretty good once I added a lot of preload and damping, but rear shock was wallowing and never really could dial it out. More spring needed in front as well as more rebound damping (almost maxed). Rear feels stiff in the pits but soft on the track....not sure what to make of it yet.

Brakes are phenomenal, although lose a bit of feel with ABS. Could get the ABS to kick in at really hard braking, but threshold was quite high.

Electronics intrude more than I'd like at the "Race" settings. As I reduced DSC/DTC/DWC it improved, but was still having some issues with it cutting in up the hill towards T1 at Laguna Seca.

Bits and pieces: Stock pegs are too low. I don't hang way off like Marquez, but I was still dragging my feet way too easily. Wind protection from the fairings was good. Quickshifter worked well, could use a little lower delay on upshifts. Stock gearing is very tall and it comes with a 520 chain/sprocket already (found out the hard way when ordered a 1 tooth smaller 525 countershaft sprocket that didn't fit). Windscreen mounting points are different than standard V4/V4S (also learned the hard way). The GPS lap timer works well and is really convenient. I like the max lean angle and speed info from the lap time data.
Thanks from KarlKani and shigeru
dpwracing is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2019, 07:15 PM   #24
Member
 
Joined: May 2015
From: The Island

Posts: 40
Thanks: 18

I Ride: 996R, Multi Pikes Peak, 1098R, 1199R, V4 Speciale
I happen to have a V4R too.

What do you think about the supposed 234Hp. I am having a hell of a problem hunting down a 2010 1000cc Suzuki on the straight that is, at full open throttle.

If that thing has 234hp I am the Emperor of China.
GME56 is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2019, 11:39 PM   #25
007
Senior Member
 
Joined: Dec 2018
From: At your 6.

Posts: 234
Thanks: 49

Originally Posted by GME56 View Post
I happen to have a V4R too.

What do you think about the supposed 234Hp. I am having a hell of a problem hunting down a 2010 1000cc Suzuki on the straight that is, at full open throttle.

If that thing has 234hp I am the Emperor of China.
007 is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2019, 03:56 AM   #26
Member
 
shigeru's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2019
From: San Diego

Posts: 53
Thanks: 10

I Ride: 2017 Suzuki GSXR-1000 : 2019 Ducati V4R
Originally Posted by dpwracing View Post
1,000 miles including a couple of trackdays on my V4R, so far so good. Only issue is a little bit of oil coming out of dry clutch area as some others have reported, keeping an eye on it.

My impressions-

Motor is very strong, has a hit to it at the top end. I think fueling is a little rich in middle causing the mid to top end transition to not be as smooth as it could be. Compared to typical I4 you feel a bigger surge at top end.

Suspension is soft for me, which is not surprising as I'm 6'3" 220 lbs. Forks are actually pretty good once I added a lot of preload and damping, but rear shock was wallowing and never really could dial it out. More spring needed in front as well as more rebound damping (almost maxed). Rear feels stiff in the pits but soft on the track....not sure what to make of it yet.

Brakes are phenomenal, although lose a bit of feel with ABS. Could get the ABS to kick in at really hard braking, but threshold was quite high.

Electronics intrude more than I'd like at the "Race" settings. As I reduced DSC/DTC/DWC it improved, but was still having some issues with it cutting in up the hill towards T1 at Laguna Seca.

Bits and pieces: Stock pegs are too low. I don't hang way off like Marquez, but I was still dragging my feet way too easily. Wind protection from the fairings was good. Quickshifter worked well, could use a little lower delay on upshifts. Stock gearing is very tall and it comes with a 520 chain/sprocket already (found out the hard way when ordered a 1 tooth smaller 525 countershaft sprocket that didn't fit). Windscreen mounting points are different than standard V4/V4S (also learned the hard way). The GPS lap timer works well and is really convenient. I like the max lean angle and speed info from the lap time data.
I have the same sentiments as you as I completed a track day on my V4R.

There is a bulletin out on the dry clutch seal. My dealer replaced,under warranty and the leak is fixed.
shigeru is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2019, 05:01 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
chillo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2015
From: UK

Posts: 163
Thanks: 36

I Ride: v4r, 1299s & CRF450x
done 3300 miles on my R (visit to the Isle of Man TT and lots of fast road)
fuel light comes on at about 55 miles, max safe range for me is about 67-70 miles.

Previously had the oil leak from clutch area, need clutch casing and seal sorted it. I dropped the oil at 3000 miles and it was quite dark and some swarth on the sump plug.
Front tyre was shot so recently changed to a Racetec K1 and that is a level up for the Supercorsa SP.
Used 3x Supercorsa v3 rears now and tbh they are more than enough for the road so have just changed to a harder compound Diablo Corsa 2 as they are now they are available in 200/60. This tyre is fine even when really pushed, just needs a bit more to warm up and it does move around a little (feels a bit like a slightly worn Supercorsa v3)

Handling wise it's a different level to the v4s I had last year, the aero has made such a difference it really is a different bike when you really thrash it.
Feels super planted over uneven surfaces (bit like a permanent dab of back brake). Needs a bit of muscling about to change direction. A few tweaks on the suspension to get it how I Really like it (more over then front ideally)
It's back to the R being a proper special bike rather than just a few nice bits thrown on an s like the last few years of R's!
In fact I'd say it's more RS than R! Love it.
Thanks from Sherpa23

Last edited by chillo; Jul 10th 2019 at 05:05 AM.
chillo is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2019, 05:06 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
chillo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2015
From: UK

Posts: 163
Thanks: 36

I Ride: v4r, 1299s & CRF450x
Originally Posted by GME56 View Post
I happen to have a V4R too.

What do you think about the supposed 234Hp. I am having a hell of a problem hunting down a 2010 1000cc Suzuki on the straight that is, at full open throttle.

If that thing has 234hp I am the Emperor of China.
wtf! have you got the Akra+race kit?

Mine is nuts and destroys everything! hits the limiter in top for fun!
chillo is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2019, 05:53 AM   #29
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2019
From: USA

Posts: 12
Thanks: 5

I Ride: Speed Triple, GSXR (AMA Spec), V4 searching
Originally Posted by chillo View Post
fuel light comes on at about 55 miles, max safe range for me is about 67-70 miles.
uhhh, come again?
1kk8 is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2019, 06:08 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
lamb00j's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Orlando

Posts: 361
Thanks: 117

I Ride: 19 V4R '13 1199
Originally Posted by chillo View Post
done 3300 miles on my R (visit to the Isle of Man TT and lots of fast road)
fuel light comes on at about 55 miles, max safe range for me is about 67-70 miles.
.
This is interesting. My V4R surely doesnt get this bad of gas mileage. My light comes on around 90-100miles and i will not go past 110 miles with it.

I am curious why yours is sucking down gas at almost twice the rate
lamb00j is online now  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati V4

Tags
comparison, ride, v4r



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparison reviews Nitrouz Ducati V4 4 Feb 27th 2018 06:10 AM
first V4 road comparison Phl Ducati V4 12 Jan 23rd 2018 08:11 AM
Motorcyclist Comparison NateBob Ducati 1299 68 May 30th 2015 10:41 AM
Exhaust Comparison? mrbrettbaker Mechanical and Technical 11 Feb 15th 2014 04:38 PM
Roadracing World Comparison ttkarp Ducati 1199 5 May 28th 2012 05:39 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed