Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Gear

Gear Motorcycle Gear Forum - For motorcycle riding gear


Thanks Tree31Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:34 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Oregon

Posts: 1,102
Thanks: 713

I would need to go look, but I believe the benefit to the Alpinestars option is that the system has two charges in it. Meaning you don't have to send it back in immediately after the first crash, unlike the Dainese unit. Also, when you send it in, you simply send the vest portion in and can keep wearing your suit without it, so no downtime. You could also own multiple vests and keep rotating them into the suit if you were a habitual crasher.
Thanks from 990Glen
shakazulu12 is offline  
 
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:52 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Chicago

Posts: 129
Thanks: 12

Originally Posted by shakazulu12 View Post
I would need to go look, but I believe the benefit to the Alpinestars option is that the system has two charges in it. Meaning you don't have to send it back in immediately after the first crash, unlike the Dainese unit. Also, when you send it in, you simply send the vest portion in and can keep wearing your suit without it, so no downtime. You could also own multiple vests and keep rotating them into the suit if you were a habitual crasher.


Yeah it does have two crashes in it for race use and only 1 for street use. Have you seen anywhere the cost to get it refurbished? I havenít and wonder what it is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oracle462 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:55 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Chicago

Posts: 129
Thanks: 12

Originally Posted by 990Glen View Post
I use the Spidi Neck DPS waist coat. I thought it would be a pain in the ass, but apart from

remembering to "clip in/out" you don't even know you are wearing it.

I picked the mesh body instead of solid, for full ventilation in summer.



You can get a spare gas charge for around 30 euro and can repack it at the track in

about 10 minutes. Biggest downside is the fact that the jacket is just nylon, so any long

slides etc will probably right the jacket off.



The Helite that Nathanhu mentioned comes in leather so will probably be more resilient if you are a frequent crasher.

It is nearly double the price of the Spidi however.


I havenít seen the Spidi unit, thatís a great point you make though about slides.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oracle462 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:56 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Chicago

Posts: 129
Thanks: 12

Originally Posted by Nathanhu View Post
The vest sits quite tightly, not not so intrusive as you might think. It is very thin in construction. My comparison would be like a mill spec armoured vest, but without the ballistic plates fitted but a bit lighter and thinner ( hope that made sense !)

In Europe they are very popular and the advantage of just swapping gas bottles on site rather than sending the whole suit back saves time and may mean I can ride with suit 2 but no vest if itís that bad..
To deploy the vest a teather isfitted to the Bike ( mine is at the front of the seat 1299)


Tethered under the mounting screw? Iím not sure I follow 100% on the location youíre mentioning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oracle462 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:20 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Oregon

Posts: 1,102
Thanks: 713

Originally Posted by oracle462 View Post
Yeah it does have two crashes in it for race use and only 1 for street use. Have you seen anywhere the cost to get it refurbished? I havenít and wonder what it is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$300.00 was the number I remember from the launch event here.
Thanks from oracle462
shakazulu12 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 02:30 PM   #26
Site Sponsor
 
jarelj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Omaha, NE USA

Posts: 2,058
Thanks: 2030

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
D-Air is several notches above anything else on the market, it's been tested for much longer, development with no compromises specifically for racing, and well-proven in MotoGP. The A*'s stuff is really a marketing exercise, the product itself is not on the same level. Making it an "add-on" and having two charges in it, are both things that are attractive for marketing purposes but in operational detail are actually detrimental to the function of it. There will be dozens of "air bag" suits and jackets on the market in the next 5 years, with the companies knowing that a large percentage of buyers think "air bag = good", and aren't going to pay attention to the actual operation of the system. In reality, proper fit is the single most important aspect, and the D-Air system being fully integrated in the suit allows a proper fit.
Thanks from Briese
jarelj is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 07:21 PM   #27
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2014
From: Germany / International

Posts: 95
Thanks: 39

I Ride: 1299s 2016 with Evo update and 1199s 2012 'project' bike
Originally Posted by oracle462 View Post
Tethered under the mounting screw? Iím not sure I follow 100% on the location youíre mentioning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
remove the seat, and it loops around the tank mounting,
the vest functions with a 30kg pull on the deployment mechanism, so it shouldn't deploy if you forget to unclip and step off the bike.

just to clarify, I would 'love' the D-Air suit, but its out of my price range at the moment, and I have settled for a lower level of protection with the vest.
thought I would add that before someone things im bashing the full integrated versions.
in my group of friends, we have about 4 with the vest and they have been used a few time successfully already.
abrasion protection on the mesh vests on track is something that has popped up and there are companies that will Mod the vest outer cover to add leather to the right places to aid preservation during a slide.
Nathanhu is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2018, 04:55 AM   #28
Site Sponsor
 
jarelj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Omaha, NE USA

Posts: 2,058
Thanks: 2030

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
Originally Posted by Nathanhu View Post
remove the seat, and it loops around the tank mounting,
the vest functions with a 30kg pull on the deployment mechanism, so it shouldn't deploy if you forget to unclip and step off the bike.

just to clarify, I would 'love' the D-Air suit, but its out of my price range at the moment, and I have settled for a lower level of protection with the vest.
thought I would add that before someone things im bashing the full integrated versions.
in my group of friends, we have about 4 with the vest and they have been used a few time successfully already.
abrasion protection on the mesh vests on track is something that has popped up and there are companies that will Mod the vest outer cover to add leather to the right places to aid preservation during a slide.
Yeah I get it, it's a lot of money. Normally when I've had that debate with people, they're saying they can't "afford" the D-Air suit but somehow they can "afford" the BST wheels they just bought, or they paid cash for a $20,000 Panigale. What they really mean is they don't prioritize it high enough to justify spending it on their safety rather than their bike. Personally I put it off for a couple years, and just finally ordered a customer Mugello R this year, so I'm guilty as well. But now that I ordered it, I'm glad that I did it. It's literally the first motorcycle track oriented purchase my wife has ever been in support of! Ha ha!
jarelj is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2018, 05:44 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Trelleborg, Sweden.

Posts: 490
Thanks: 248

I Ride: '16 Pani R, 1098R Bayliss, KTM1090R.
Alas that is true.

I bought a new suit early 2016 and have since bought the airbag waistcoat for the 2017 season due to my track visits becoming more frequent. I will probably end up buying an airbag equipped suit the next time I replace leathers, and hopefully by then the prices
will be a little more affordable and the service times etc much improved.

In the meantime I am guilty of ordering wheels, radiator, rearests etc in the last few weeks.
Thanks from oracle462
990Glen is online now  
Old Jan 8th 2018, 06:49 AM   #30
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2014
From: Germany / International

Posts: 95
Thanks: 39

I Ride: 1299s 2016 with Evo update and 1199s 2012 'project' bike
Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
Yeah I get it, it's a lot of money. Normally when I've had that debate with people, they're saying they can't "afford" the D-Air suit but somehow they can "afford" the BST wheels they just bought, or they paid cash for a $20,000 Panigale. What they really mean is they don't prioritize it high enough to justify spending it on their safety rather than their bike. Personally I put it off for a couple years, and just finally ordered a customer Mugello R this year, so I'm guilty as well. But now that I ordered it, I'm glad that I did it. It's literally the first motorcycle track oriented purchase my wife has ever been in support of! Ha ha!
Hit the nail on the head I guess.

I have always used Dainese suits and this year (2017) was the first time I ventured into the made to measure suits. even that is a bit jump in cost in regards the standard 'off the peg' versions
it didn't help having to send them back to replace half the suit after a slide on Oschersleben in September..
but I guess its a balance of risk against expenditure
Nathanhu is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Gear

Tags
airbags, future, race, suit



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All leather race suit RetardedTiming Gear 15 Oct 12th 2017 03:22 PM
For Sale: Alpinestars Race Replica Full Race Suit Carl8808 Classifieds 1 Feb 24th 2016 12:12 PM
Wireless Airbags?? Stw Motorcycle Talk 0 Mar 22nd 2014 11:08 AM
For Sale: = = Dainese Suit 48/38 New condition - motorcycle track race suit = $675 OBO jamesz3 Classifieds 0 Aug 1st 2013 09:15 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed