Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Guides

Guides How-To Guides for the Ducati 1299, 1199, 899


Thanks Tree6Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 5th 2015, 06:23 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
bigdzx6r's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: ATX

Posts: 199
Thanks: 52

Shif-Tech CF subframe installtion

To do this right, you need to raise up the tank and remove the rear shock by using car jack to support the back of the subframe, make sure the bike in 1st gear if you have bike on the stand (Pictures r self-explained)

1. Raised the tank after loosen all the necessary nuts/bolts and ground/harness tank cables

2. Using car jack to support the subframe before loosen the rear shock cause you will not be able to fit left side CF cover on it

3. Pre-align the cut-outs (L/R) aluminum backing that come with the kit to the subframe
(note) use bare fingers to peel or touch these cut-outs since the backing glue is very sticky and wont stick on your fingers but it'll stick on nylon gloves

4. Peel and stick them where you had pre-aligned

5. Applied glue that comes with the kit ( not too close to the edge since it'll run out to the frame when you install CF covers). CF covers are very tight fit

6. Install both CF covers and tire-wrap it ( let it cure for 10hrs as stated on the procedure that cames with it)

7. Re-install your tank/ rear shock back after 10hrs or so and removed car jack

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Shif-Tech CF subframe installtion-cf-1.jpg   Shif-Tech CF subframe installtion-cf-3.jpg   Shif-Tech CF subframe installtion-cf-4.jpg   Shif-Tech CF subframe installtion-cf-10.jpg   Shif-Tech CF subframe installtion-cf-7.jpg  

Shif-Tech CF subframe installtion-cf-9.jpg   Shif-Tech CF subframe installtion-cf-8.jpg  
bigdzx6r is offline  
 
Old Aug 5th 2015, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2015
From: charleston sc

Posts: 235
Thanks: 47

I Ride: 2014 panigale 1199
ughhh another sub frame removal..
does ducati pay us for this.

ps it looks fantastic.
Charleston 1199 is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2015, 07:11 AM   #3
Member
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
From: PNW

Posts: 75
Thanks: 55

Excellent write up and I guess one way of installing them.. I did it in 10 minutes and did not have to remove anything, any reason why you had to go through all that?
Thanks from ScrapperX and VAST
Geek is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2015, 07:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: Nashville TN

Posts: 992
Thanks: 422

I Ride: 1299S, Multistrada Granturismo, Monster 796 ABS, BMW S1000RR
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Excellent write up and I guess one way of installing them.. I did it in 10 minutes and did not have to remove anything, any reason why you had to go through all that?
so you were able to somehow wedge in the left side cover without removing a thing? Even if I could have, it was still better to have access to the subframe for secure attachment.
kismetcapitan is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2015, 08:25 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
apeluv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: St. Louis, MO via Detroit, MI

Posts: 157
Thanks: 19

I Ride: 2015 Ducati Panigale 1299S by way of 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale Base w/ABS
Originally Posted by bigdzx6r View Post
To do this right, you need to raise up the tank and remove the rear shock by using car jack to support the back of the subframe, make sure the bike in 1st gear if you have bike on the stand (Pictures r self-explained)

1. Raised the tank after loosen all the necessary nuts/bolts and ground/harness tank cables

2. Using car jack to support the subframe before loosen the rear shock cause you will not be able to fit left side CF cover on it

3. Pre-align the cut-outs (L/R) aluminum backing that come with the kit to the subframe
(note) use bare fingers to peel or touch these cut-outs since the backing glue is very sticky and wont stick on your fingers but it'll stick on nylon gloves

4. Peel and stick them where you had pre-aligned

5. Applied glue that comes with the kit ( not too close to the edge since it'll run out to the frame when you install CF covers). CF covers are very tight fit

6. Install both CF covers and tire-wrap it ( let it cure for 10hrs as stated on the procedure that cames with it)

7. Re-install your tank/ rear shock back after 10hrs or so and removed car jack

Cheers!
Wow.. I didn't get the shift-tech's version, but I didn't have to do all of what you did.
I did shave off about 1/8 of an inch from the left side's cover so I can put it on pass the rear shock. I used decal glue you get from advanced auto parts store and held them in place for 1 minute each. Just snapped in place on both sides and doesn't come off or wiggle loose. Never needed to remove anything to get them on. Been using them for about 1400 miles now and no issues.
This worked for me but may be different for others, but, just giving you all my story of it worked for me.
apeluv is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2015, 08:39 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gunny Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: NOVA

Posts: 3,278
Thanks: 1526

Happy to hear you went with the BEST CF company when it comes to little pieces like that (Actually ALL Guido's CF is superior in fit, finish, and finances! - All IMHO of course-lop)

Thats exactly what I did with mine too with glue pattern but also used some wicked small and tight clamps to hold it in place and press as much as possible up against subframe so it sticks all the way around. I recall another thread here like this too- but it was nice to see yours as a fresh look with good photos and all. After all, even 1299 owners need some Face Time here too (yes I know its what Site is called, which I still don't know why Duc had to do that either? Wonder if its gonna change each time a new rendition comes off the assembly line? LMFAO)
Thanks from Albusaidi
Gunny Fitz is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2015, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bigdzx6r's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: ATX

Posts: 199
Thanks: 52

Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Excellent write up and I guess one way of installing them.. I did it in 10 minutes and did not have to remove anything, any reason why you had to go through all that?
I only did it cuz I'd nothing else to do! JK !!.

I'm a guy who want and does every thing by my self type of guy. Plus want to know how the bike put together. You don't have to do all the steps as I did but I do enjoy working on bikes and cars and anything with motors.

I've not fully test the result yet only rode it to dealer for 1st oil change/engine reset, about 10miles after installation. however, I did touch the subframe with bare hand and it was warm to touch (103 deg ambient temp that day)
bigdzx6r is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2015, 09:21 AM   #8
Member
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
From: PNW

Posts: 75
Thanks: 55

Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
so you were able to somehow wedge in the left side cover without removing a thing? Even if I could have, it was still better to have access to the subframe for secure attachment.
It was tight but only a strip of electrical tape over the cf to protect it and it popped in no trouble, probably could have done it without the tape honestly, no marks on the tape.. but yeah, installed without doing all that, I took off the seat so I could get some zip ties around in a few places that was it.
Geek is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2015, 09:13 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Toys1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Wichita, KS

Posts: 152
Thanks: 35

It would be easily popped in if you loosen up the top two bolts and take out the bottom two of the rear subframe, then swing the rear subframe up. At least that was what I did to put mine in without removing the rear shock.
Toys1 is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2016, 05:06 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2016
From: Amherst, MA, USA

Posts: 15
Thanks: 4

I Ride: 2016 Ducati Panigale 1299s
I lifted the back of the tank, which was easy and did make access easier. Lifting the tank is described elsewhere, but involved:

- Removing the seat.
- Removing the clamp that holds the back of the tank (two allen bolts, two acorn nuts)
- Removing the key hole cover (4 allen bolts)
- Loosening the hinge bolts in the front to allow tank to swivel up from back.
- Lifting back of tank an inch, and placing a small wooden block under the tail.

My kit came with the heat tape mounted in the CF pieces. I just had to put black silicone on the pieces and press into place. I used electrical tape to protect the CF, and zip ties.

I did not attempt removal of the shock. I took a dry run to see how it would squeeze in, and it was no problem. Just slide the back in first.

My only possible issue is not using enough silicone. I had a lot left in the provided tube. So, if it comes loose i might need to redo. But the pieces fit so well they will probably never budge.

I'm going to post a review of my first ride in a separate thread. Bottom line: It makes a big difference...
catalpa is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Guides

Tags
installtion, shiftech, subframe



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 1199 Motoholders race subframe zohsix01 Classifieds 3 Oct 20th 2015 08:08 PM
For Sale: Motoholders subframe lardawge Classifieds 4 Mar 24th 2015 09:39 AM
For Sale: 1199 oem subframe zohsix01 Classifieds 0 Apr 14th 2014 05:26 PM
Motoholders race subframe zohsix01 Ducati 1199 14 Apr 6th 2014 06:47 PM
Superleggera CF Subframe For The Masses topolino Ducati Superleggera 2 Feb 19th 2014 02:19 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed