Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Thanks Tree138Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28th 2013, 10:36 AM   #101
Senior Member
 
Frosty's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: Calgary

Posts: 2,360
Thanks: 617

I Ride: '13 S ABS in the correct colour
Originally Posted by mark419ny View Post
i disagree with you here. i know 6 people that have ducs. i speak to them almost daily 5 pani riders and 1 1198 s rider. they arent just forum guys but guys i am friends with and every single pani rider i speak to had to loctite every single bolt. My friend that has the 1198s had the same problems as well. So i dont think its a small percentage. i guess 6 out of 6 or 100% is small.

With all my complaints and talk about the hp4 I still love the 1199. Just look at it when it is freshly cleaned. looks fast standing still (even though its a slower superbike) it demands attention. It never disappoints me till i get home and then i have to call the stealership or text one of my boys and complain.


Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
We're riding a v-twin here folks...it's going to vibrate to all shit. The dealer even warned me, "Is this your first Ducati?" "Yes..."..."Okay you're going to want to do a once over of all the bolts about once a week."
Yup even my dealer who sees hundreds of Ducs every week has the same comment about them.
Frosty is offline  
 
Old May 28th 2013, 10:36 AM   #102
Senior Member
 
NorthBankGooner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Tenerife, Spain & Quantum of the Seas

Posts: 324
Thanks: 110

I Ride: 1199
Originally Posted by Jariva View Post

On the more serious note, is there a difference in the US delivered bikes (shipped more in bits due to shipping) and the European delivered bikes ( just put the mirrors on)?
You are kidding right?
NorthBankGooner is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 10:39 AM   #103
Senior Member
 
VAST's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Manhattan

Posts: 1,983
Thanks: 803

I Ride: 2014 Panigale R (sold)
if Japanese bonds have 6 sigma moves regularly of late, then why not Italian bikes ?

Originally Posted by transdesigner View Post
lol those types of monday/friday jokes used to have truth in them... but not in the days where any major OEM has 6 sigma quality processes and you have quality engineers every step of the way... in 2013, you shouldn't have to hope to "get a good one"... they should basically all be good based on good quality control.
VAST is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 10:40 AM   #104
Senior Member
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: St. Louis

Posts: 5,014
Thanks: 1153

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
Originally Posted by mark419ny View Post
i disagree with you here. i know 6 people that have ducs. i speak to them almost daily 5 pani riders and 1 1198 s rider. they arent just forum guys but guys i am friends with and every single pani rider i speak to had to loctite every single bolt. My friend that has the 1198s had the same problems as well. So i dont think its a small percentage. i guess 6 out of 6 or 100% is small.

With all my complaints and talk about the hp4 I still love the 1199. Just look at it when it is freshly cleaned. looks fast standing still (even though its a slower superbike) it demands attention. It never disappoints me till i get home and then i have to call the stealership or text one of my boys and complain.
That doesn't even make sense, as I have only loctited my brake bolts I replaced with Ti, the rest are factory tightened/loctited(if they ever were). Not disputing you, just doesn't make sense. My main point, is riders should know to tighten bolts, if they aren't, they shouldn't complain of them being loose. It's just something you do on a bike to be safe - that's why it's in manuals dating from at least '78.
Trauma is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 10:44 AM   #105
Senior Member
 
mark419ny's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: South Florida

Posts: 5,506
Thanks: 2014

I Ride: 2015 R1 2014 HP4 2019 Vespa GTS Sold 2012 1199 S 2007 zx10r and zx6r
well my bolts never came with loctite but they are now. im out of this post. my point was check your bolts i knew of the problem but didnt check before i left. i have taken my bike apart a few times and had loctite on many things. i didnt put it on the heat shield because i thought the heat would melt the loctite. i didnt put it on the key guard either. I can assure you it will be there now. hopefully this wont be a repost.
mark419ny is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 10:48 AM   #106
Senior Member
 
transdesigner's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: Rochester, MI

Posts: 323
Thanks: 224

I Ride: 1199 ABS
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
That doesn't even make sense, as I have only loctited my brake bolts I replaced with Ti, the rest are factory tightened/loctited(if they ever were). Not disputing you, just doesn't make sense. My main point, is riders should know to tighten bolts, if they aren't, they shouldn't complain of them being loose. It's just something you do on a bike to be safe - that's why it's in manuals dating from at least '78.
We write things like that in car manuals too... but they are to cover our asses legally, we don't actually expect joe public to go under the hood and do anything these days...

And like I said, any engineer I know would be pretty embarrassed if he signed off on a bolted joint that came loose multiple times. And the multiple occurances being mentioned point to it being a design flaw, not assembly error. As engineers, we KNOW how to analyze a bolt so that it won't come loose... there's no excuse for it.
Thanks from mark419ny, White13Pani and VAST
transdesigner is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 10:53 AM   #107
Senior Member
 
NorthBankGooner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Tenerife, Spain & Quantum of the Seas

Posts: 324
Thanks: 110

I Ride: 1199
This is my first Ducati so I guess this was a learning experience for me. I will just check my nuts on a regular basis from now on!
NorthBankGooner is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 10:54 AM   #108
Senior Member
 
Jariva's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: France

Posts: 219
Thanks: 103

I Ride: 2013 Panigale S, 2011 CB Diavel, 2008 Yamaha FZ1
Originally Posted by VAST View Post
if Japanese bonds have 6 sigma moves regularly of late, then why not Italian bikes ?
Why you are on an Italian bike forum.? I also have a super reliable and very nice Yamaha naked FZ1 in my carage, done 31,000 km with that. I like that bike very much, will keep it for an occasional ride. It had bolts falling off the rear fender after 500 km. No big deal, with a motorcycle you are supposed to pay a bit more attention to the bolts and nuts. When I get into my boring car, do I check everything? No, I do not.

With my two Ducatis I do the same I did with my Yamaha. I check the bike regularly. I have to be safe on two wheels and one brake (I do not use the rear brake). Part of the fun. Do I check if my car tires if they have damage or nail in them? No I don't. Do I check my bike before a longer ride? Yes, I do do, because I go faster and my life depends more on the bike to be in a good shape than my car.
Thanks from mark419ny and Trauma
Jariva is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 11:10 AM   #109
Senior Member
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: St. Louis

Posts: 5,014
Thanks: 1153

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
Originally Posted by NorthBankGooner View Post
This is my first Ducati so I guess this was a learning experience for me. I will just check my nuts on a regular basis from now on!
Suit yourself, I haven't in the year I have owned it.
Trauma is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 11:24 AM   #110
Senior Member
 
transdesigner's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: Rochester, MI

Posts: 323
Thanks: 224

I Ride: 1199 ABS
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
Suit yourself, I haven't in the year I have owned it.
It would be somewhat funny if we see an angry post from you next week about one of your rearsets falling off... jk
transdesigner is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
bolts, check



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Titanium Bolts Gunny Fitz Ducati 1199 31 Aug 11th 2014 01:22 AM
Titanium Bolts Trauma Gear 4 Apr 10th 2013 04:25 PM
Some Pro Bolts installed 1stduc1199 Ducati 1199 1 Mar 2nd 2013 12:15 PM
Another item to check for loose bolts. RiderGary Mechanical and Technical 13 Aug 24th 2012 12:23 PM
Rear Set mounting bolts help please. Rocky907 Mechanical and Technical 2 Aug 12th 2012 04:42 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed