Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: So-Cal

Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 200

Long Crank, Bike Stopped on Idle

First started the bike normally this morning, about a 3 second crank, about 80 degree ambient outdoor temp. Step back to the get my helmet, the bike stops and won't turn over. Tried about 3 back to back 5-10 second cranks, not firing up. Shut everything off, waited 2 minutes, cranked again with slight throttle, started up in about 5 seconds.

Bike was not ridden in 4 days, less than 100 miles on the bike, going through OEM break in procedure, running through the gears, low RMP all the way to 5.5k, hardly any exhaust smoke from firing up.

Is this is cause for concern? or just the joy of Ducati ownership?

Thanks
jyli19 is offline  
 
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Los angeles

Posts: 50
Thanks: 2

This thing has a pretty complex way of opening valves to let it crank easily on startup. I'll bet it was just at a tough point to turn. This stuff happens occasionally. My KTM does this sort of shit all the time.

I wouldn't worry unless it starts happening REALLY regularly.
asainslie is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
duckyduc's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: boston

Posts: 557
Thanks: 68

I Ride: 1299,1199, 10'CBR1000RR, Metropolitan Scooter (yup)
the master tech told me not to open the throttle while cranking it, he said that messed up the starting point on the map, not sure if its true...
my bike only get ridden on the weekend, but fire right up every, didnt have any symptom like you described, maybe its worth a trip to the dealer?
duckyduc is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: So-Cal

Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 200

Originally Posted by duckyduc View Post
my bike only get ridden on the weekend, but fire right up every, didnt have any symptom like you described
you must ride a Honda/Yamaha

I'll check the dealer if this happens again.
jyli19 is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Claymore's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: South Africa

Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 501

I Ride: Ducati Panigale S Tricolore
My bike also starts up easily every time. I have done over 4000 km's on her already and all have been problem free.
Claymore is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Member
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Northern California

Posts: 59
Thanks: 5

Happened to me once when leaving the dealer after the 600 mile service. They came out to the parking lot as they saw I was having a hard time starting her but she fired up by that time. They said to keep an eye on it and they documented it. Haven't had that problem since
4theride is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Overland Park, KS

Posts: 865
Thanks: 151

I Ride: 2012 1199S
happened a couple of times to me but i'm almost sure it had something to do with this canada goose jacket that i am wearing instead of my leather jacket. lol
kensteele is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2012, 02:11 AM   #8
Retired
 
zvez's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: ga

Posts: 2,364
Thanks: 384

hmmmmmmmm, I was gonna say maybe you need to buy the canada goose jacket to fix the problem!

Originally Posted by kensteele View Post
happened a couple of times to me but i'm almost sure it had something to do with this canada goose jacket that i am wearing instead of my leather jacket. lol
zvez is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: So-Cal

Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 200

Stalled while idling during warm up last Wednesday. Going to plug the carb cannister , see if that helps
jyli19 is offline  
Old Nov 19th 2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Abu Dhabi,UAE.

Posts: 21
Thanks: 0

Originally Posted by jyli19 View Post
First started the bike normally this morning, about a 3 second crank, about 80 degree ambient outdoor temp. Step back to the get my helmet, the bike stops and won't turn over. Tried about 3 back to back 5-10 second cranks, not firing up. Shut everything off, waited 2 minutes, cranked again with slight throttle, started up in about 5 seconds.

Bike was not ridden in 4 days, less than 100 miles on the bike, going through OEM break in procedure, running through the gears, low RMP all the way to 5.5k, hardly any exhaust smoke from firing up.

Is this is cause for concern? or just the joy of Ducati ownership?

Thanks
send it back to the dealer,had it check.happened to me twice.the first time i sent it to the dealer they replaced the spark plug as advised by ducati italy.bike was fixed and happened again to me for second time.this time the engine shuts down while turning coming out of a junction at slow speed which i lost my balance and fell down.330 km on odometer, new bike and still under warranty.i made a report to ducati italy and they asked me to send back the bike to the dealer.bike still at workshop.i told the dealer if this thing gonna happen for the third time,i want my money back.cheers.
dZuLcati is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
bike, crank, idle, long, stopped



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
200 Miles & Some Extras - Long Thread! Gunny Fitz Ducati 1199 13 Jun 23rd 2012 02:41 AM
Anyone ride a bike or demo bike with ABS yet? michaeldorian Mechanical and Technical 12 May 5th 2012 07:00 AM
Why does the Panigale take so long to start? Ducati Ducati 1199 18 Apr 30th 2012 07:57 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed