Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Thanks Tree135Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 05:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: NW Arkansas, USA

Posts: 897
Thanks: 333

I Ride: 2012 1199S, 2008 Speed Triple
Safety-wired Valve-cover bolts for 899/1199

Many of us have had our valve cover bolts loosen up a bit and, as a result, some oil leakage around the gaskets from either the front, rear or both cylinders. It was explained to me by a Ducati tech that there is so much power from this V-twin one can only expect the entire engine to move around quite a bit and be somewhat structurally fluid/dynamic; so it is no surprise that things come loose.

That said, I've noticed that some of the Panigales prepped for racing have had the valve-cover bolts drilled and safety wired to help address this problem.

My bike is ready for its 15,000-mile service after the last couple of track days at the end of October and so I've asked the shop to safety-wire the valve cover bolts when when everything is apart for the 15,000-mile service. All I have to do is supply the mechanic with pre-drilled bolts when I drop off the bike for service.

The bad news; I have not been able to source pre-drilled bolts for the valve covers. The good news; ProBolt USA said they'd make up a set if I can provide the specs for the bolts.

The ask:
  1. Does anybody have the specs for the bolts that secure the manifold covers? (material, head style, thread and thread pitch, length)
  2. Number of bolts? (all the same length?)

Anyway, I would be grateful if anybody can provide this information. I'm sure ProBolt would love to make this "bolt kit" available to others.

Last edited by Styler; Oct 23rd 2015 at 05:43 PM.
Styler is offline  
 
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Phl
Moderator
 
Phl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: here

Posts: 7,626
Thanks: 4167

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, CRF50, GROM, bionicon supershuttle
Chaotic had his done at D&D Cycles in Pensacola FL

I I'll tackle mine this winter
Phl is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
bradp51's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Posts: 2,780
Thanks: 1283

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Many of us have had our valve cover bolts loosen up a bit and, as a result, some oil leakage around the gaskets from either the front, rear or both cylinders. It was explained to me by a Ducati tech that there is so much power from this V-twin one can only expect the entire engine to move around quite a bit and be somewhat structurally fluid/dynamic; so it is no surprise that things come loose.

That said, I've noticed that some of the Panigales prepped for racing have had the valve-cover bolts drilled and safety wired to help address this problem.

My bike is ready for its 15,000-mile service after the last couple of track days at the end of October and so I've asked the shop to safety-wire the valve cover bolts when when everything is apart for the 15,000-mile service. All I have to do is supply the mechanic with pre-drilled bolts when I drop off the bike for service.

The bad news; I have not been able to source pre-drilled bolts for the valve covers. The good news; ProBolt USA said they'd make up a set if I can provide the specs for the bolts.

The ask:
  1. Does anybody have the specs for the bolts that secure the manifold covers? (material, head style, thread and thread pitch, length)
  2. Number of bolts? (all the same length?)

Anyway, I would be grateful if anybody can provide this information. I'm sure ProBolt would love to make this "bolt kit" available to others.
If you look up the parts fiche can you get the sizes off that ? I know Ducati Omaha website has parts listed. Perhaps the Torque list in the mechanical section is also a place to look it up.

I will look on my torque list later in the garage.
Thanks from Styler
bradp51 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 09:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
bradp51's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Posts: 2,780
Thanks: 1283

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Many of us have had our valve cover bolts loosen up a bit and, as a result, some oil leakage around the gaskets from either the front, rear or both cylinders. It was explained to me by a Ducati tech that there is so much power from this V-twin one can only expect the entire engine to move around quite a bit and be somewhat structurally fluid/dynamic; so it is no surprise that things come loose.

That said, I've noticed that some of the Panigales prepped for racing have had the valve-cover bolts drilled and safety wired to help address this problem.

My bike is ready for its 15,000-mile service after the last couple of track days at the end of October and so I've asked the shop to safety-wire the valve cover bolts when when everything is apart for the 15,000-mile service. All I have to do is supply the mechanic with pre-drilled bolts when I drop off the bike for service.

The bad news; I have not been able to source pre-drilled bolts for the valve covers. The good news; ProBolt USA said they'd make up a set if I can provide the specs for the bolts.

The ask:
  1. Does anybody have the specs for the bolts that secure the manifold covers? (material, head style, thread and thread pitch, length)
  2. Number of bolts? (all the same length?)

Anyway, I would be grateful if anybody can provide this information. I'm sure ProBolt would love to make this "bolt kit" available to others.
Had a quick look on the torque list and it looks like 33mm length 1mm pitch and it was either M8 or 6 but easy for you to have a look. You would have to look at the parts fiche to see how many.
Thanks from Styler
bradp51 is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2015, 06:43 AM   #5
Phl
Moderator
 
Phl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: here

Posts: 7,626
Thanks: 4167

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, CRF50, GROM, bionicon supershuttle
I'd try though to keep them bolted, drill the heads and wire them installed.

Might not be a good idea to relieve pressure on the gasket
Phl is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: NW Arkansas, USA

Posts: 897
Thanks: 333

I Ride: 2012 1199S, 2008 Speed Triple
Originally Posted by Phl View Post
I'd try though to keep them bolted, drill the heads and wire them installed.

Might not be a good idea to relieve pressure on the gasket
The bike is going in to the shop for its 15,000-mile service soon. I'll have them replace the OEM bolts with these when they put it back together.
Styler is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2015, 08:56 AM   #7
Phl
Moderator
 
Phl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: here

Posts: 7,626
Thanks: 4167

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, CRF50, GROM, bionicon supershuttle
Ok! That woks
Phl is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2015, 03:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
bradp51's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Posts: 2,780
Thanks: 1283

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
The bike is going in to the shop for its 15,000-mile service soon. I'll have them replace the OEM bolts with these when they put it back together.
Had a look at the bolts

For Horizontal Head
4 x Special Screw 779.1.697.1B
1 x 779.1.644.1b

For the vertical it looks like only four of the 697, I do not see the fifth one in the diagram. It does not show the sizes though. You can match that from the torque list though. If the dealer has these in stock then you can just measure them and then order your Proti ones. Proti sell predrilled in any size you just will have to maybe shave 2 mil off a 35 mm long one.
Thanks from Styler
bradp51 is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2015, 04:10 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Gecko's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Switzerland

Posts: 1,852
Thanks: 1789

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
Hmm, different bolts, even dependent on whether you have the v-cylinder side covers installed or not.

If it could be reduced to two types of bolts (I think that would work), I would produce a Titanium kit of race-specs cover screws. But this would mean that the look for people who do not have the v-cyl side panels installed will be a bit irritating, since there will be a visible thread on top of the screws.

Also the safety wire would have to be sheath with shrinking tubes to avoid harming the magnesium covers.
Thanks from AntiHero and Styler
Gecko is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2015, 04:38 AM   #10
Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: West Coastin'

Posts: 50
Thanks: 8

I Ride: 2012 1199s
I use safety wire on damn near everything in aviation, and aerospace everything.
It's definitely a great idea for the more important components, but as you have noted, difficult to find the appropriate hardware.

I'm going to be torque striping all of the hardware on my bike with a TEC sharpie marker for visual indication of anything loosening.
tehshayne is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
bolts, safetywired, valvecover



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cam Cover Bolts? 0612Devil Ducati 1199 15 Jan 16th 2017 12:21 PM
Pre-drilled bolts for safety wiring? 80shilling Ducati 1299 12 Dec 22nd 2015 12:49 PM
For Sale: Gold Pro-Ti Titanium Nuts & Bolts - Sprocket Nuts/Clutch Case Cover Bolts White13Pani Classifieds 10 Apr 8th 2015 03:28 PM
Oil leaks coming down from the valve cover. zx7md Ducati 1199 13 May 6th 2014 07:40 AM
Safety Wire Base Panigale pinch bolts ducdom Mechanical and Technical 4 Oct 28th 2013 04:22 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed