Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By Notinregs
  • 1 Post By Khmer1199
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 8th 2018, 05:47 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
sakaiser1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2018
From: Beaufort, SC

Posts: 6
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 2012 Panigale 1199
Oil Leak Question 2012 1199

Good Morning Everyone,

Hoping someone can provide me some insight as to what hose this is that's leaking oil and how best to remove/repair it. Looking through the parts manual I can't find it anywhere. It's on the left side of the bike and looks like it goes into the top of the crank case. The hose goes straight up and becomes larger in diameter, maybe 1.5". I've tried to circle it's position in the pictures attached the best I could.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://imgur.com/a/9qlQInN

https://ibb.co/j3JQTBH
https://ibb.co/bPGVkBS
https://ibb.co/4mw9BcY


Edit: I'm not 100% sure how to upload the photos.

Seth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-12-08 08.36.17.jpg (84.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-12-08 08.36.22.jpg (74.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-12-08 08.36.41.jpg (42.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by sakaiser1; Dec 8th 2018 at 05:59 AM.
sakaiser1 is offline  
 
Old Dec 8th 2018, 07:52 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2018
From: WA

Posts: 16
Thanks: 5

I Ride: 2008 1098S, 2016 1299S, 2015 KTM RC390, 2015 BMW R1200GS, 1963 Honda CT200
I think that is part number 14 (80012051A- THERMOSTAT PUMP HOSE HORIZONTAL), on the cooling system page in the parts catalog. I think it connects to part 23 on the crankcase halves page of the parts catalog. I'd think if you can pull the hose off the nipple, clean the exterior of the hose and inspect for damage (nipple too), you could try and reuse the clamp, or simply buy a new clamp (74142231A) and reassemble, you should be good to go.

Thats going to be a coolant line, not an oil line. So if you pull it off, be prepared to deal with the coolant. Might be less invasive to loosen the clamp (you can use a small flat head screw driver to lightly pry the free end from the tab beneath), push the hose down on the nipple, wipe it clean and re-secure the clamp with some pliers.

I don't believe these bikes have any external oil lines like the 1198, 1098, 848 series did.
Raider78 is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2018, 08:09 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
sakaiser1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2018
From: Beaufort, SC

Posts: 6
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 2012 Panigale 1199
Thanks for the reply! I see that part you're referring to, but that's on the opposite side of the bike, and this is definitely oil that I see, no signs of coolant thankfully. I've been doing a lot of research on this today and it looks like it's a crankcase breather hose that runs to the bottom of the air box. Seems like a lot of people have problems with it cracking on the bottom where mine is kind of bulged out due to heat. I think the hose is cracked enough on the bottom that I should get a new one (and replace this stupid clamp with a worm gear clamp?)

Curious if anyone can tell me where to find this hose in the parts manual...it's almost a cone shaped hose because it's larger where it connects to the bottom of the air box. Can't get a picture of where it connects to the air box, this thing is hard to get to!

Edit: Or, if this is just a breather tube, has anyone just put a small filter on it instead and eliminated the tube? If so, part numbers or walkthrough would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by sakaiser1; Dec 8th 2018 at 08:12 AM.
sakaiser1 is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2018, 10:57 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Zelnik's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Sweden

Posts: 272
Thanks: 136

Classical oil overfill symptom.
Zelnik is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2018, 12:55 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2018
From: WA

Posts: 16
Thanks: 5

I Ride: 2008 1098S, 2016 1299S, 2015 KTM RC390, 2015 BMW R1200GS, 1963 Honda CT200
Ahhh...take a look at the oil breather page in the parts catalog...looks like there is no particular part number for the breather pipe you are talking about, but number 6 points to the clamp that holds it in place. You can kind of see the outline of the expanding diameter pipe you are referring to. Maybe it is part of the interior airbox (part# 44212342B) and doesn't separate up there.

I think the treatment is the same though...clean the outside and put the clamp back on...worm gear or otherwise. Sounds like Zelnik has the answer to the cause though.
Raider78 is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2018
From: North carolina

Posts: 10
Thanks: 1

Had exact same issue. Ducati put a service bulletin out on it a year or two ago. I took mine in 2 months ago and it was repaired free of charge. Its the Panigale bottom of airbox repair kit. 69927171A. Give them info. If you search my profile you will see my thread on it. I haven't updated it yet but it was fixed and more importantly free!

Edit. This was with a long expired warranty as well
Thanks from sakaiser1
Notinregs is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2018, 04:23 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
sakaiser1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2018
From: Beaufort, SC

Posts: 6
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 2012 Panigale 1199
Originally Posted by Zelnik View Post
Classical oil overfill symptom.
Bike is so low on oil I can't see it in the site glass...(just bought this bike and was going through all my checks). So maybe it use to be?

Originally Posted by Raider78 View Post
Ahhh...take a look at the oil breather page in the parts catalog...looks like there is no particular part number for the breather pipe you are talking about, but number 6 points to the clamp that holds it in place. You can kind of see the outline of the expanding diameter pipe you are referring to. Maybe it is part of the interior airbox (part# 44212342B) and doesn't separate up there.

I think the treatment is the same though...clean the outside and put the clamp back on...worm gear or otherwise. Sounds like Zelnik has the answer to the cause though.
Thanks! Looked all through the airbox page and still couldn't find the answer to a part number. Already got myself a worm gear, but the bottom of the hose is a bit damaged.

Originally Posted by Notinregs View Post
Had exact same issue. Ducati put a service bulletin out on it a year or two ago. I took mine in 2 months ago and it was repaired free of charge. Its the Panigale bottom of airbox repair kit. 69927171A. Give them info. If you search my profile you will see my thread on it. I haven't updated it yet but it was fixed and more importantly free!

Edit. This was with a long expired warranty as well
Great info! Thank you. I will look into the repair kit, obviously I'm well outside of the warranty dates but I'm hoping to be able to find one still.
sakaiser1 is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2018, 04:35 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
sakaiser1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2018
From: Beaufort, SC

Posts: 6
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 2012 Panigale 1199
https://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b368728/

I found this, just trying to pass along some info for anyones future reference. Does anyone know where you can find the actual bulletin and what it contains?
sakaiser1 is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2018, 06:30 AM   #9
Member
 
Khmer1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
From: Siem Reap, Cambodia

Posts: 61
Thanks: 38

I Ride: 1199 Panigale
The funnel-shaped hose is part of the crankcase ventilation system. Blow-by is directed from the vertical cylinder into the airbox, vapors are released into the airbox, and any remaining oil is allowed to return through the funnel-shaped hose to the crankcase. The funnel-shaped hose, to the best of my knowledge is not sold separately, but rather is a part of the lower airbox assembly. This problem has been reported many times since the 1199 was introduced. Assuming that the funnel-shaped hose has not been damaged, you may try replacing the OEM factory clamp with an aftermarket screw-type automotive clamp. To avoid damaging the funnel-shaped hose and to ensure that the hose can be fully tightened, cut a 1/2" to 3/4" piece of hose of a slightly larger diameter, slit it lengthwise, wrap it around the funnel-shaped hose where the clamp is to be installed, allow an approximate 1/8" gap between the hose ends to allow for clamp compression, and install and tighten the clamp.
Thanks from sakaiser1
Khmer1199 is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2018, 05:27 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
sakaiser1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2018
From: Beaufort, SC

Posts: 6
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 2012 Panigale 1199
Originally Posted by Khmer1199 View Post
The funnel-shaped hose is part of the crankcase ventilation system. Blow-by is directed from the vertical cylinder into the airbox, vapors are released into the airbox, and any remaining oil is allowed to return through the funnel-shaped hose to the crankcase. The funnel-shaped hose, to the best of my knowledge is not sold separately, but rather is a part of the lower airbox assembly. This problem has been reported many times since the 1199 was introduced. Assuming that the funnel-shaped hose has not been damaged, you may try replacing the OEM factory clamp with an aftermarket screw-type automotive clamp. To avoid damaging the funnel-shaped hose and to ensure that the hose can be fully tightened, cut a 1/2" to 3/4" piece of hose of a slightly larger diameter, slit it lengthwise, wrap it around the funnel-shaped hose where the clamp is to be installed, allow an approximate 1/8" gap between the hose ends to allow for clamp compression, and install and tighten the clamp.
Thank you for the response! I may try this. I finally found a dealership in Charleston that could look up the service bulletin, but said that it is no longer covered outside the warranty The repair kit costs $98, and for them to install it they said 1.5 hours of labor, so about $240 after tax. I may try what you mentioned first. I already have a normal worm type clamp on it, but the hose is damaged to high for it to be effective.
sakaiser1 is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
1199, 2012, leak, oil, question



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 1199s w/abs: oil leak from push rod Medic83 Ducati 1199 19 Sep 25th 2018 01:30 AM
Valve cover oil leak.. 1199 panigale s Will1d Ducati 1199 18 Apr 1st 2018 04:32 AM
oil leak from the clutch pushrod hole (1199 base 2012) tteitei Ducati 1199 21 Mar 6th 2017 12:09 AM
2013 Ducati 1199 oil leak. Ducduc09 Ducati 1199 7 Feb 6th 2016 01:01 AM
899/1199 Fuel leak from the breather tube m89261097 Mechanical and Technical 6 Apr 9th 2015 07:04 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed