Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Thanks Tree11Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 7th 2019, 03:22 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2018
From: MA

Posts: 103
Thanks: 72

Originally Posted by 990Glen View Post
Many thanks for the time taken, especially the dedication required to post the pics.
Thank you!

Hopefully its of any use to someone, these forks are nice and should be kept up on regular maintence, there is no info anywhere about them so this maybe one of the few How-Tos. Even if its just an oil change(for that you can skip a lot of the steps), as seen here most people who do work on their own bike are plenty capable once they have one or two special tools. The ohlins design makes it easy to work on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
jc808504 is offline  
 
Old May 15th 2019, 12:01 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2015
From: Norway

Posts: 12
Thanks: 0

Hi, great work!
Would you mind telling me the messurands of the catridge tool. I want to try and DIY.
What is the inner diameter of the tube, and how wide are the tooths, and the gap between the tooths?
Is the piston pull up rod M12 or M10?

Cheers! appreciate it!!
Norwayduc is offline  
Old May 15th 2019, 12:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2018
From: MA

Posts: 103
Thanks: 72

Originally Posted by Norwayduc View Post
Hi, great work!

Would you mind telling me the messurands of the catridge tool. I want to try and DIY.

What is the inner diameter of the tube, and how wide are the tooths, and the gap between the tooths?

Is the piston pull up rod M12 or M10?



Cheers! appreciate it!!
I will PM you dimensions and pictures of the tool once i get home. It difinitely would be easy and cheap to construct, but i just used the Ktech RDS/DDS tool that is available to order from Orient Express Racing.

I also used their pull up rod by Ktech which has a combination of m12 and then further in is m10. Forgive me i forget what size it was, but if youre gonna buy a pull up rod tool you might as well buy a combo version like that which will be good for other bikes you may own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
jc808504 is offline  
Old May 16th 2019, 12:25 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2015
From: Norway

Posts: 12
Thanks: 0

Cheers thanks, would appreciate the messurands, it will be expensive to have it shipped to norway with tax as well. So def will try to make one.
Norwayduc is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2019, 11:17 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: Surrey, UK

Posts: 2
Thanks: 0

Originally Posted by jc808504 View Post
I will PM you dimensions and pictures of the tool once i get home. It difinitely would be easy and cheap to construct, but i just used the Ktech RDS/DDS tool that is available to order from Orient Express Racing.

I also used their pull up rod by Ktech which has a combination of m12 and then further in is m10. Forgive me i forget what size it was, but if youre gonna buy a pull up rod tool you might as well buy a combo version like that which will be good for other bikes you may own.
I would also be most grateful for those dimensions. Obtaining tools like that is similarly expensive in the UK (maybe not as bad as Norway), but in any case, I like to make my own whenever possible.

Also, any chance of showing the top cap dismantled? Obviously only if you already have it out of the fork. I'm trying to understand how it functions, how all the pieces function and indeed what pieces are inside. I cannot yet fathom how the preload and damping controls work. They push down on other internal parts (spring, damper rod) but unless I'm mistaken, only rotate in the cap and do not themselves screw up and down.

I'm looking into making my own extended caps and knowing how the standard one functions would really help my plans and I don't currently have one of my own to look at and as you say, information about the internals of these forks is almost impossible to come by.

I don't understand why Ohlins has to be so secretive. It's not like they're protecting proprietary data. Anyone wants to commercially copy their product can just buy one and take it apart themselves. This sort of misguided secrecy just serves to irritate customers.
BiKenG is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 04:12 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2018
From: MA

Posts: 103
Thanks: 72

Originally Posted by BiKenG View Post
I would also be most grateful for those dimensions. Obtaining tools like that is similarly expensive in the UK (maybe not as bad as Norway), but in any case, I like to make my own whenever possible.



Also, any chance of showing the top cap dismantled? Obviously only if you already have it out of the fork. I'm trying to understand how it functions, how all the pieces function and indeed what pieces are inside. I cannot yet fathom how the preload and damping controls work. They push down on other internal parts (spring, damper rod) but unless I'm mistaken, only rotate in the cap and do not themselves screw up and down.



I'm looking into making my own extended caps and knowing how the standard one functions would really help my plans and I don't currently have one of my own to look at and as you say, information about the internals of these forks is almost impossible to come by.



I don't understand why Ohlins has to be so secretive. It's not like they're protecting proprietary data. Anyone wants to commercially copy their product can just buy one and take it apart themselves. This sort of misguided secrecy just serves to irritate customers.
Sorry for the late reply have been offline for a few days.

Length: 45 cm

OD: 35mm

ID: 31mm

(Pipe is 2 mm thick)

8 teeth at one end of pipe

Each tooth is 8mm apart

Each tooth is 4mm wide and 4mm tall

Theres a nut welded on top so you can use a rachet and the holes are drilled through the top so you can stick a bar through it and use it as a big T-handle

Fill us in if you end up creating extensions im curious how you will go about it. Keep in mind the fork has the option to lengthen the stroke. Not sure if that will equate to the effect your going for



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Thanks from Buhgaboo

Last edited by jc808504; Jul 3rd 2019 at 05:17 PM.
jc808504 is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 05:00 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
bradp51's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Posts: 2,795
Thanks: 1287

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Great write up. I do not have these forks but always something to learn. Thanks for taking the time will all the pics etc.

Cheers
Thanks from jc808504
bradp51 is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 05:22 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2018
From: MA

Posts: 103
Thanks: 72

Originally Posted by bradp51 View Post
Great write up. I do not have these forks but always something to learn. Thanks for taking the time will all the pics etc.

Cheers
Thanks! like BIKenG said, these forks have like zero info about them so i know its probably not useful to everyone since only the SLs come with a similar if not the same fork and then its just aftermarket. But for the few that need it, hope this helps uncover hidden info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
jc808504 is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 06:13 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: USA

Posts: 1,376
Thanks: 1289

Great info, there are a few guys running these forks and this is certainly helpful. Very nice write-up.
endodoc is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2019, 02:20 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2019
From: Surrey, UK

Posts: 2
Thanks: 0

Originally Posted by jc808504 View Post
...
Fill us in if you end up creating extensions im curious how you will go about it. Keep in mind the fork has the option to lengthen the stroke. Not sure if that will equate to the effect your going for
...
Looks like extension caps would cost about £300 so if I do need them I'll probably make them. I have a lathe and a mill in my workshop so not impossible, although far from simple. All good fun though.

Thanks for the info on the tool. Length will make it a bit tricky to make, but I'm sure I'll figure a way.
BiKenG is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
214, fgrt, ohlins, rebuild



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Ohlins FGRT 214 matthieu Classifieds 0 Feb 3rd 2017 09:16 AM
Want To Buy: Ohlins fgrt 203 nicotine40 Classifieds 0 Nov 19th 2016 11:28 AM
Want To Buy: Ohlins FGRT 203 Forks. 1299Pani Want To Buy 0 Aug 3rd 2016 08:43 PM
For Sale: Ohlins FGRT 203 and TTX GP DU360 lardawge Classifieds 8 Jul 5th 2016 10:50 AM
For Sale: Ohlins FGRT 203 and ttx 36 Kevin1199 Classifieds 29 Sep 5th 2015 02:43 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed