Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Motorcycle Talk

Motorcycle Talk For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models


Thanks Tree4Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 6th 2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Member
 
1299rFE's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Sheldon, Vermont

Posts: 34
Thanks: 5

I Ride: 2017 Ducati 959 and 2018 1299rFE
959 Replacement

Fellas' & Ladies

I wanted to get feed back on what you thought of what will be the replacement for the 959. Typically after a Corse edition is released the bike is updated. What do you believe will replace the 959, bigger engine configuration? Different motor design? A higher option machine, Magnesium wheels, single sided swingarm? More complex electronics?
What would you like to see come from Ducati to complement this machine?
Will Ducati replace the L Twin Sportbike Lineup with all V4's? Perhaps a 750cc V4?

Lets discuss
1299rFE is offline  
 
Old Sep 6th 2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Member
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: NYC

Posts: 96
Thanks: 15

Originally Posted by 1299rFE View Post
Fellas' & Ladies

I wanted to get feed back on what you thought of what will be the replacement for the 959. Typically after a Corse edition is released the bike is updated. What do you believe will replace the 959, bigger engine configuration? Different motor design? A higher option machine, Magnesium wheels, single sided swingarm? More complex electronics?
What would you like to see come from Ducati to complement this machine?
Will Ducati replace the L Twin Sportbike Lineup with all V4's? Perhaps a 750cc V4?

Lets discuss
I have spent a fair amount of time pondering this as well… Ducati is at an interesting crossroads from a product range pov and it will be very interesting what they do next here. Yes typically the CORSE signals the end of a model for the middleweight bike, but not as definite as a FE designation, ha. Couple things that come up when I think about this topic:

+Corse is $17.6, V4 base is $21.2 - having a clear, tiered product range would dictate that any new middleweight could not be much more than that
+Ducati has bene pretty open about saying that the L twin is not going away, thought is the next bike to get v4 platform is multistrada or diavel… somethign like
+At nearly a liter bike range would it make any sense to release a 989 or 999? with a 1000cc V4 hitting the shelves soon? (yes realizing that will be a 40k R, but still)
+SSSA/full elec suite/tft display are all things that set the super bike range apart, again hard to see them offering all that in the middle

My guess is that it will be another 899 -> 959 nominal bump, but we will see. I am anxious to see what it is and would love to get @jarelj opinion!!
Thanks from 1299rFE
KarlKani is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Sherpa23's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2017
From: Denver, Colorado

Posts: 264
Thanks: 278

I Ride: Some pretty amazing Ducatis
Honestly, going back to a 999 twin with a sssa and an optional high spec kit (like an R) could be a winner. You would have a lot of people that would buy it as an alternative to the V4 and not think of it as the "baby" super bike.
Thanks from 1299rFE
Sherpa23 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Australia

Posts: 420
Thanks: 126

the 899/959 did things well for what it was.
But its in a class all by its self. There is very little mid ranges bikes left.

V4 base model with a smaller size v4 engine would be ideal...

But maybe they will use the Supersport motor to base something off (the supersport would of been gold with the 1200 monster engine)


....or just make the base model a little cheaper (a factor why a number people brought 959's etc outside of USA) and cancel the mid bike range.
DStyleNZL is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 02:49 PM   #5
Site Sponsor
 
jarelj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Omaha, NE USA

Posts: 2,058
Thanks: 2030

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
Originally Posted by KarlKani View Post

My guess is that it will be another 899 -> 959 nominal bump, but we will see. I am anxious to see what it is and would love to get @jarelj opinion!!
I have no idea at this point what they'll actually do, but what I WISH they'd do is make a 600-700cc V4 and a 400cc L-Twin sportbike! I would literally pee my pants if they made a 400cc sportbike!
jarelj is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 02:52 PM   #6
Member
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: NYC

Posts: 96
Thanks: 15

Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
I have no idea at this point what they'll actually do, but what I WISH they'd do is make a 600-700cc V4 and a 400cc L-Twin sportbike! I would literally pee my pants if they made a 400cc sportbike!


Agreed.
Would you rather the 400 twin or the 6-700 V4?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KarlKani is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 04:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Roseville

Posts: 166
Thanks: 53

I think the next 899/959 will be an 1199.
Domino is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 05:34 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
 
jarelj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Omaha, NE USA

Posts: 2,058
Thanks: 2030

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
I think the next 899/959 will be an 1199.
Nah, that would be crazy, bigger than the V4 displacement-wise would make no sense.
jarelj is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 05:35 PM   #9
Site Sponsor
 
jarelj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Omaha, NE USA

Posts: 2,058
Thanks: 2030

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
Originally Posted by KarlKani View Post
Agreed.
Would you rather the 400 twin or the 6-700 V4?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Personally I'd rather have the 400 twin since I race in that class and could dump my Ninja 400 and race a Ducati again (finally)!
Thanks from 1299rFE and KarlKani
jarelj is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2018, 07:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Roseville

Posts: 166
Thanks: 53

Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
Nah, that would be crazy, bigger than the V4 displacement-wise would make no sense.
Sarcasm. It’s funny how Ducati’s “small Superbike” is bigger than their first Superbike. It just keeps growing!
Domino is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Motorcycle Talk

Tags
959, replacement


« Decision Time | - »

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Key replacement Charleston 1199 Ducati 1199 3 Jan 27th 2016 01:00 PM
Marzocchi replacement Veteran Ducati 1299 5 Dec 11th 2015 12:27 PM
Getting a replacement key? Kou7793 Ducati 1199 1 Nov 2nd 2015 02:37 PM
Foot peg replacement AG6 Ducati 1199 10 Sep 21st 2014 07:48 PM
Clutch Replacement d1098man Mechanical and Technical 27 Dec 20th 2013 12:19 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed