Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Racing

Racing Racing Forum - For racing and track day topics and discussions


Thanks Tree19Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 5th 2016, 05:22 AM   #11
Site Sponsor
 
jarelj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Omaha, NE USA

Posts: 2,064
Thanks: 2030

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
Originally Posted by wfoduck View Post
Will the gp master work with the oem calipers? What would be the best ratio? 19 by 18 or 19 by 16? Is the rcs for the street? My bike will never see a public road.
With the stock M50 calipers on the 1199/1299, you need the Brembo 17RCS master, that's the one specifically made for those calipers.
Thanks from wfoduck
jarelj is offline  
 
Old Feb 5th 2016, 06:33 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA

Posts: 467
Thanks: 118

Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
With the stock M50 calipers on the 1199/1299, you need the Brembo 17RCS master, that's the one specifically made for those calipers.
There has been a lot of talk and different threads on the subject of how the rcs 17 is the cats pajamas when using m50s. I used it for almost a full race season before I gave up on it. Even after removing the abs it was spongy as hell. It would also get bad brake fade even in a 6 lap race.

I eventually ordered a cnc 19x18 with the intention of replacing the calipers if it didn't work out. It was awesome. The feel and feedback as well as braking power is amazing. I trail brake as a habit and have never had an issue with not getting enough feedback. In fact, in my circle of racer friends that are running the Pani, every single one uses either a 19x18 or 19x20 with the m50's...

For what it's worth.
Thanks from wfoduck and highside49
lardawge is offline  
Old Feb 5th 2016, 08:31 AM   #13
Site Sponsor
 
jarelj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Omaha, NE USA

Posts: 2,064
Thanks: 2030

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
Originally Posted by lardawge View Post
There has been a lot of talk and different threads on the subject of how the rcs 17 is the cats pajamas when using m50s. I used it for almost a full race season before I gave up on it. Even after removing the abs it was spongy as hell. It would also get bad brake fade even in a 6 lap race.

I eventually ordered a cnc 19x18 with the intention of replacing the calipers if it didn't work out. It was awesome. The feel and feedback as well as braking power is amazing. I trail brake as a habit and have never had an issue with not getting enough feedback. In fact, in my circle of racer friends that are running the Pani, every single one uses either a 19x18 or 19x20 with the m50's...

For what it's worth.
Oh sure I know plenty of people running 19mm masters with the M50 calipers, but I wouldn't RECOMMEND it since it goes against Brembo's own recommendations. When the Panigale first came out and I was at the vendor parts show talking with one of the guys from Brembo, and asked him about the M50 calipers and whether I could take my 19x20 master from my 1198S and use it on my 1199, he said "I wouldn't recommend that, wait for us to come out with the 17mm product, the 19mm product was not designed to work with the smaller-piston calipers and you will not get the same feel". So that's pretty much the extent of where I left it, I never actually tried the 17RCS myself.

There's a big difference in a "racing" master vs. the "street/performance" master, which all of the RCS products are "street/performance" products. I've used a 19x20 racing master exclusively for over 10 years now on every track/race bike I've had, for me it's the cat's meow. I agree with you for hard track use, the RCS will not give the firm lever and resistance to fade of a racing master. But it's still better than the stock master. You should try your cnc master with different calipers at some point, you might not know what you're missing. I'm using the GP-4RX calipers with the billet 19x20 master and it's pretty much nirvana. Of course braking "feel" is highly subjective, so what feels fine/great to one rider might feel like garabage to another. Some people who ride my bike hate my brakes because they're too powerful. I've trained myself to use a light touch on the brakes, so I like them.
Thanks from wfoduck, lardawge, Thamer and 1 others
jarelj is offline  
Old Feb 5th 2016, 11:06 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA

Posts: 467
Thanks: 118

Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
Oh sure I know plenty of people running 19mm masters with the M50 calipers, but I wouldn't RECOMMEND it since it goes against Brembo's own recommendations. When the Panigale first came out and I was at the vendor parts show talking with one of the guys from Brembo, and asked him about the M50 calipers and whether I could take my 19x20 master from my 1198S and use it on my 1199, he said "I wouldn't recommend that, wait for us to come out with the 17mm product, the 19mm product was not designed to work with the smaller-piston calipers and you will not get the same feel". So that's pretty much the extent of where I left it, I never actually tried the 17RCS myself.

There's a big difference in a "racing" master vs. the "street/performance" master, which all of the RCS products are "street/performance" products. I've used a 19x20 racing master exclusively for over 10 years now on every track/race bike I've had, for me it's the cat's meow. I agree with you for hard track use, the RCS will not give the firm lever and resistance to fade of a racing master. But it's still better than the stock master. You should try your cnc master with different calipers at some point, you might not know what you're missing. I'm using the GP-4RX calipers with the billet 19x20 master and it's pretty much nirvana. Of course braking "feel" is highly subjective, so what feels fine/great to one rider might feel like garabage to another. Some people who ride my bike hate my brakes because they're too powerful. I've trained myself to use a light touch on the brakes, so I like them.

Fair enough. Hard to recommend something that goes against the manufacturer... being a vendor.

I have been wanting to try the GP-4RX but have not had much of a reason to other than they look awesome.

I agree 1000% about feel being subjective. I personally would not use a 19x20 because to me it feels super rigid but doesn't have as much stopping power. 19x18 is my sweet spot.
lardawge is offline  
Old Feb 5th 2016, 11:34 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
wfoduck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: syracuse n.y.

Posts: 456
Thanks: 134

I Ride: kx450f & 1199 panigale
What's the difference performance wise between the standard gp and the billet version?
wfoduck is offline  
Old Feb 5th 2016, 05:46 PM   #16
Site Sponsor
 
jarelj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Omaha, NE USA

Posts: 2,064
Thanks: 2030

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
Originally Posted by wfoduck View Post
What's the difference performance wise between the standard gp and the billet version?
Brembo adheres pretty much to the "you get what you pay for" principle. As you go up the price range in their products, you get tangible benefits that are more and more driven toward professional racing levels. The standard Brembo racing masters (what I think you're calling "gp"), have precision seals and upgraded internal components compared to OEM Brembo products, which provides smoother response and resistance to fade. The bodies are forged aluminum, vs. the cast aluminum bodies on the OEM products, so they're stiffer and lighter. When you move up to the CNC Billet racing product range, you get even stiffer and lighter bodies, so everything is even more precise, and further resistance to fade. Only an experienced track rider/racer would notice the difference between that and the standard racing master. From there, your final option is the $2000 Brembo MotoGP (the actual "GP") master, which is even lighter, stiffer and more precise.

Note: none of the racing masters have a brake switch on them, so if they are used on a street bike you need to install a banjo-bolt pressure switch. The RCS line has an integrated brake switch on it, which is why that one is specified as street/track.
Thanks from wfoduck, Twistedracer and b9009b
jarelj is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2018, 09:32 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Long Island

Posts: 265
Thanks: 50

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299
This thread is 2 years old so Im hoping I get a response. Im looking to upgrade the master cylinder on my 2015 1299. Right now I have CNC racing adjustable levers. If I bought any of the Brembo brake master cylinders would I be able to use them on the Brembo master cylinder.

That being said. What be a good option for me for 7 to 10 track days a year and the rest street riding? The Brembo 19x18 radial brake master cylinder , 19RCS Corsa or 17RCS Corsa?
cycler is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2018, 06:58 AM   #18
Site Sponsor
 
jarelj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Omaha, NE USA

Posts: 2,064
Thanks: 2030

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
This thread is 2 years old so Im hoping I get a response. Im looking to upgrade the master cylinder on my 2015 1299. Right now I have CNC racing adjustable levers. If I bought any of the Brembo brake master cylinders would I be able to use them on the Brembo master cylinder.

That being said. What be a good option for me for 7 to 10 track days a year and the rest street riding? The Brembo 19x18 radial brake master cylinder , 19RCS Corsa or 17RCS Corsa?
No you won't be able to use your levers with any of the Brembo racing master cylinders. You'll need the 17RCS for that bike, it's the only one compatible with the stock calipers, and it still has a brake light switch on it so it will work on the street correctly.
jarelj is offline  
Old Mar 16th 2018, 08:46 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Long Island

Posts: 265
Thanks: 50

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299
Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
No you won't be able to use your levers with any of the Brembo racing master cylinders. You'll need the 17RCS for that bike, it's the only one compatible with the stock calipers, and it still has a brake light switch on it so it will work on the street correctly.
Thanks for the information. Let me ask you this. If I wanted the 19x18 or 19RCS MC's what would be a good brembo caliper upgrade over the M50's that wouldnt break the bank. I do between 7-10 track days a season and the rest on the street. And regarding the MC's I mentioned do both have a brake light switch or just the 19RCS
cycler is offline  
Old Mar 17th 2018, 08:11 AM   #20
Site Sponsor
 
jarelj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Omaha, NE USA

Posts: 2,064
Thanks: 2030

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
Thanks for the information. Let me ask you this. If I wanted the 19x18 or 19RCS MC's what would be a good brembo caliper upgrade over the M50's that wouldnt break the bank. I do between 7-10 track days a season and the rest on the street. And regarding the MC's I mentioned do both have a brake light switch or just the 19RCS
Most cost-effective would be to pick up a set of M4 Monoblocs off of an older Superbike (1098, 1198) and put some good pads in them (I like SBS). Or you can buy a new set of M4's for $699. Those will work with the 19RCS or any of the 19mm racing masters. The only Brembo masters that have a brake light switch on them or the RCS models. Otherwise if you have one of the racing masters you have to use a banjo bolt pressure switch instead, so it'd still doable, just requires more parts.
jarelj is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Racing

Tags
brake, upgrade



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade suspension on 899 or upgrade to 1299 WayOfLife Ducati 899 33 Oct 28th 2015 03:34 AM
Next Brake Upgrade youngR Motorcycle Talk 17 Oct 9th 2015 09:36 AM
Brake pad upgrade? TurboLag Ducati 1299 21 Oct 2nd 2015 01:35 AM
Aftermarket Stainless brake lines - worthwhile race upgrade? Ductard Ducati 1199 8 Sep 24th 2015 07:57 PM
For Sale: 1199R Brembo Front Brake Discs AND Brake Pads duc9r Classifieds 6 Jul 17th 2014 04:07 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed