Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Racing

Racing Racing Forum - For racing and track day topics and discussions


Thanks Tree15Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 27th 2018, 07:08 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Blade Runner's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
From: USA

Posts: 396
Thanks: 234

1989 West German 500cc GP

Not sure how many of you remember these days. I for sure do!!! The days of 36 racers lining up on the most insane, violent, no electronic nanny bikes ever. Great times indeed!!!

Back then I had a 1990 Kawasaki ZX7 on special order. I went against the norm and ordered black. The only bike to this day I regret selling. I had a fully built Merrill Plumbly built motor. The exact same motor Doug Chandler had. I still have the drawings or should I say Faxes from him to my father on how to machine the engine cases. Talk about getting creative with the motor. LOL!!! Crazy stuff back then. No internet for resources. You truly just had to know people in the know. And lucky for me I was in very good with the people from Muzzy. Great times indeed!!!

Thanks from Rich1199, cmh210, centeroff and 3 others
Blade Runner is offline  
 
Old Apr 27th 2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Member
 
Joined: Dec 2017
From: sydney

Posts: 96
Thanks: 30

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R , RD400c , RGV250 ,KTM300,i also own a Harley and a boat , the Harley is the anchor.
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
Not sure how many of you remember these days. I for sure do!!! The days of 36 racers lining up on the most insane, violent, no electronic nanny bikes ever. Great times indeed!!!

Back then I had a 1990 Kawasaki ZX7 on special order. I went against the norm and ordered black. The only bike to this day I regret selling. I had a fully built Merrill Plumbly built motor. The exact same motor Doug Chandler had. I still have the drawings or should I say Faxes from him to my father on how to machine the engine cases. Talk about getting creative with the motor. LOL!!! Crazy stuff back then. No internet for resources. You truly just had to know people in the know. And lucky for me I was in very good with the people from Muzzy. Great times indeed!!!

Yep Iím hearing you,when men were men ,bring back the two strokes with no electronic intervention,thatíll sort out the real riders.
Thanks from Blade Runner
fens is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2018, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 267
Thanks: 95

I Ride: 1299SA
Those were the days.. Look how close they are on the grid, almost close enough to lean across and hit the kill switch on the bike next to you

I remember Gary McCoy spending most of his time going sideways!
Thanks from Blade Runner
BenF04 is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2018, 02:47 PM   #4
Member
 
Joined: Dec 2017
From: sydney

Posts: 96
Thanks: 30

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R , RD400c , RGV250 ,KTM300,i also own a Harley and a boat , the Harley is the anchor.
Originally Posted by BenF04 View Post
Those were the days.. Look how close they are on the grid, almost close enough to lean across and hit the kill switch on the bike next to you

I remember Gary McCoy spending most of his time going sideways!
good old Mr Squiggle he nearly one the title on the Redbull Yamaha until he broke his leg, a riders rider,that must have been one of Doohans first gp rides.
Thanks from Blade Runner
fens is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2018, 07:45 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Macattack's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Indiana

Posts: 570
Thanks: 338

I Ride: 1299S
I remember watching those races on vhs at lunch break LOL

they were Men not these sissy pedicure having babies we have today .

a few years after this the world changed . makes me sad to think of how the guy I thought would be on the grid for ever got moved to a wheelchair. Rainey is a legend .

I don't think MarcM could drag elbow on one of these monsters
Thanks from Blade Runner
Macattack is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2018, 07:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: NYC

Posts: 1,254
Thanks: 514

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R, 1098r Bayliss, Triumph 675R (ex AMA Bike), Beta 300 RR Race
Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
I remember watching those races on vhs at lunch break LOL

they were Men not these sissy pedicure having babies we have today .


I don't think MarcM could drag elbow on one of these monsters
i think he could tires are much better and sport has progressed.
Thanks from Blade Runner
reganc is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2018, 09:39 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
centeroff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: Nor Cal

Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 613

I Ride: 1199Panigale,V11 Sport Ballibio
I never got to race a TZ 750 or 500, but I raced a TZ 250 B a TZ 350 and I had a reed valve 375 top end I would use for the AFM 500 GP class. being in a large pack of closely matched 2 strokes in anger are some of my fondest memories, the leaded high octane race gas and bean oil is the sweetest perfume I know of, talk about racing with a woodie.
I hate electronic aids, I bought my 1199 base, because it was the last one on the floor without any of the electronic crap on it, and it was the lighter than the S or ABS models.
The day I need electronic aids to ride fast, is the day I hang up my spurs.
Thanks from Blade Runner
centeroff is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: NYC

Posts: 1,254
Thanks: 514

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R, 1098r Bayliss, Triumph 675R (ex AMA Bike), Beta 300 RR Race
Originally Posted by centeroff View Post
I never got to race a TZ 750 or 500, but I raced a TZ 250 B a TZ 350 and I had a reed valve 375 top end I would use for the AFM 500 GP class. being in a large pack of closely matched 2 strokes in anger are some of my fondest memories, the leaded high octane race gas and bean oil is the sweetest perfume I know of, talk about racing with a woodie.
I hate electronic aids, I bought my 1199 base, because it was the last one on the floor without any of the electronic crap on it, and it was the lighter than the S or ABS models.
The day I need electronic aids to ride fast, is the day I hang up my spurs.
the 1199 has traction control.
reganc is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2018, 10:26 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Macattack's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Indiana

Posts: 570
Thanks: 338

I Ride: 1299S
Originally Posted by reganc View Post
i think he could tires are much better and sport has progressed.
maybe, but I was referring to "in the day"

also It seems MM learns a lot from crashing in practice and an algorithm is enhanced from this data . back in the day not much was learned from crashing and the crashes MM has seem like they are lessoned by electronic intervention . as if they seem like he is more likely to low side .

but back in the day the bikes would seem more likely to spit the rider fifty feet in the air without warning.

I should not have brought up MM but it seems he is able to use the electronics better than most.
so by that logic he seems the most dependent on electronics
so it seems his elbow dragging style is somewhat electronic dependent
obviously I could be completely all wrong .
Macattack is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2018, 11:53 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2014
From: Newcastle, Australia

Posts: 158
Thanks: 45

Those were the days!

My first road bike was a Pepsi RGV and i can recall very fondly going to Eastern Creek every year to watch the racing.

Men were men and sheep were nervous!
Thanks from Blade Runner
HFW003 is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Racing

Tags
1989, 500cc, german, west



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suter 500cc V4 Gp Bike FS to Public b9009b Motorcycle Talk 28 Oct 1st 2015 10:18 AM
Best day ride west coast USA? crankman Ducati 1199 15 Apr 2nd 2015 07:26 AM
ThunderHill West tcelano Racing 4 Jun 16th 2014 08:06 PM
Clear Bra/3m kit in west florida?? southeastduc Ducati 1199 5 Feb 19th 2014 10:33 PM
New Member from West L.A. double0 New Users 12 Apr 7th 2013 09:42 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed