Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Racing

Racing Racing Forum - For racing and track day topics and discussions


Thanks Tree15Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7th 2018, 08:37 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2016
From: PNW

Posts: 668
Thanks: 490

Originally Posted by cycler View Post
Why say that Yamaha is that worried? If Marquez didnt cause Rossi's crash in Argentina Rossi would have had between 46-51 points. I dont think Rossi would have finished above 5th place in Argentina but having Marquez take him out and causing his crash led to him having his 40 points to this day. If he thinks he can keep racing let him keep racing. Maybe he wont win a championship but he is still better than most of the younger riders . If not for the crash in Argentina who knows he may have had 51 points and been 3rd in points ahead of Vinales. Or maybe lower at 4th or 5th. But for sure he would have been higher than 6th place. Say what you want that he is slow and old. But if a 39 year old can finish 2nd in 2015 and 2016 ahead of the younger riders and finish 5th in 2017 behind Marquez, Dovi, Vinales and Pedrosa then he is still a competitive racer. Look who he finished behind in 2017. All veteran riders with the exception of Vinales who has the least riding experience in Motogp. Im not sure why all this hate for Rossi when he is more competitive than majority of the younger riders in motogp. Ive been watching Rossi race since he moved to the premier class in 2000. I will bet all my bikes that none of the younger riders know what its like to ride these old school bucking bronco bikes like the 500cc bikes. Comparing these younger riders to all the electronic help they have these days to bikes of yesteryear is like comparing apples to oranges. Not to say that the younger riders have any less talent but when you have a rider like Rossi go through all the stages of electronic help on bikes you begin to appreciate the level of riding the older riders had with the help of electronics today on the newer bikes with younger riders. Technology is always evolving I get that. But riding a motogp bike back in the day took a lot more skill than riding one today. Argue with me all you want but we see as everyday riders how technology advances each year on the bikes we ride. After riding my 2015 S1000R, 2016 S1000RR and 1299 Panigale I sure dont want to ride a bike with technology on my first Honda CBR 600R2 back in 1996
Mark's gonna tear this up lol
NW1299 is offline  
 
Old May 8th 2018, 03:17 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Cincinnati

Posts: 407
Thanks: 156

I Ride: 2012 1199
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
But riding a motogp bike back in the day took a lot more skill than riding one today.
You have no idea if this is true. The skills needed are different now than they were then, but necessary all the same.
Thanks from reganc
ghostdog6 is offline  
Old May 8th 2018, 07:27 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
TurboLag's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Norway

Posts: 655
Thanks: 283

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale
Jerez MotoGP Pourquoi Johann Zarco a-t-il choisi KTM*? Laurent Fellon règle ses comptes... - Paddock GP
Use Google translate og you don't know French. It's an interview with Laurent Fellon, Zarco's manager.
TurboLag is offline  
Old May 8th 2018, 09:08 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2018
From: Morrisville NC

Posts: 8
Thanks: 4

Originally Posted by ghostdog6 View Post
You have no idea if this is true. The skills needed are different now than they were then, but necessary all the same.
Just go watch some of the Casey Stoner interviews (he complained all the time about electronic assistance in his interviews) or talk to Scott Russell, Kevin Schwantz, or any other old school rider who has ridden the old 2 stroke 500cc bikes that are running riding schools now and ask them about the difference... Take away traction control, ABS, and wheelie control and you will see a RADICALLY different race IMHO....

Last edited by RedRider0151; May 8th 2018 at 09:20 AM.
RedRider0151 is offline  
Old May 8th 2018, 09:14 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: NYC

Posts: 1,265
Thanks: 517

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R, 1098r Bayliss, Triumph 675R (ex AMA Bike), Beta 300 RR Race
Originally Posted by RedRider0151 View Post
Just go watch some of the Casey Stoner interviews (he complained all the time about electronic assistance in his interviews) or talk to Scott Russell, Kevin Schwantz, or any other old school rider who has ridden the old 2 stroke 500cc bikes that are running riding schools now and ask them about the difference... Take away traction control and wheelie control and you will see a RADICALLY different race IMHO....
but the same fast guys are going to be fast it's just the sport has moved on.
Thanks from mark419ny
reganc is offline  
Old May 8th 2018, 10:30 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Cincinnati

Posts: 407
Thanks: 156

I Ride: 2012 1199
Originally Posted by RedRider0151 View Post
Just go watch some of the Casey Stoner interviews (he complained all the time about electronic assistance in his interviews) or talk to Scott Russell, Kevin Schwantz, or any other old school rider who has ridden the old 2 stroke 500cc bikes that are running riding schools now and ask them about the difference... Take away traction control, ABS, and wheelie control and you will see a RADICALLY different race IMHO....
Of course the racing would be radically different, but that's not the point. The point is that today's riders are every bit as skilled as the older riders who didn't have electronics. Put today's riders on a 2-stroke and the fast guys will still be the fast guys.

Rossi is sort of case in point for this, isn't he? He won championships on a 500 2-stroke, the 990 4-strokes, the 800 4 strokes, so he has all those skills to race a bike that doesn't have the electronics, but he still isn't fastest. If Rossi could win by turning off all the electronics and rely on his skill, guaranteed he would do it. But he can't.

You put Marquez back 25 years and he's banging bars with Rainey and Schwantz and giving Doohan a run for his money on the other factory Honda.
ghostdog6 is offline  
Old May 8th 2018, 11:39 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
centeroff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: Nor Cal

Posts: 1,066
Thanks: 616

I Ride: 1199Panigale,V11 Sport Ballibio
Zarco knows what he's doing, he has a vision, and so far it seems to be working. Staying in moto 2 to defend his title at "his age" went against conventional "wisdom". Showing up in tech 3 and riding the old m1 like a high powered moto 2 bike shook up the whole pecking order. Signing for 2 years with tech 3 after his brilliant first season?
Look where it's gotten him, I would love to see his signing check. You know KTM shelled out the BIG BUCKS to land him.
Moto GP just keeps getting better and better, and they still have their umbrella girls, unlike other sanctioning bodies that prefer light in the loafers boys.
Thanks from mark419ny and Desmophile
centeroff is offline  
Old May 8th 2018, 11:59 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
mark419ny's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: South Florida

Posts: 5,425
Thanks: 1989

I Ride: 2015 R1 2014 HP4 2012 1199 S sold 2007 zx10r and zx6r both sold
Originally Posted by F3BobaFett View Post
Maybe you should try posting without your ridiculous bias and nicknames. It makes you look like an upset toddler.

Marketing is what racing is primarily about and if you cannot win you may as well have the biggest PR machine the sport has ever seen sitting on your bike.
talking about racing pal not symantics of keeping a has been on a ride to generate money. if you are in it to win a title you have to be worried at this point.

ps i love the nicknames i give to flopsi
mark419ny is offline  
Old May 8th 2018, 12:07 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
mark419ny's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: South Florida

Posts: 5,425
Thanks: 1989

I Ride: 2015 R1 2014 HP4 2012 1199 S sold 2007 zx10r and zx6r both sold
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
Why say that Yamaha is that worried? If Marquez didnt cause Rossi's crash in Argentina Rossi would have had between 46-51 points. I dont think Rossi would have finished above 5th place in Argentina but having Marquez take him out and causing his crash led to him having his 40 points to this day. If he thinks he can keep racing let him keep racing. Maybe he wont win a championship but he is still better than most of the younger riders . If not for the crash in Argentina who knows he may have had 51 points and been 3rd in points ahead of Vinales. Or maybe lower at 4th or 5th. But for sure he would have been higher than 6th place. Say what you want that he is slow and old. But if a 39 year old can finish 2nd in 2015 and 2016 ahead of the younger riders and finish 5th in 2017 behind Marquez, Dovi, Vinales and Pedrosa then he is still a competitive racer. Look who he finished behind in 2017. All veteran riders with the exception of Vinales who has the least riding experience in Motogp. Im not sure why all this hate for Rossi when he is more competitive than majority of the younger riders in motogp. Ive been watching Rossi race since he moved to the premier class in 2000. I will bet all my bikes that none of the younger riders know what its like to ride these old school bucking bronco bikes like the 500cc bikes. Comparing these younger riders to all the electronic help they have these days to bikes of yesteryear is like comparing apples to oranges. Not to say that the younger riders have any less talent but when you have a rider like Rossi go through all the stages of electronic help on bikes you begin to appreciate the level of riding the older riders had with the help of electronics today on the newer bikes with younger riders. Technology is always evolving I get that. But riding a motogp bike back in the day took a lot more skill than riding one today. Argue with me all you want but we see as everyday riders how technology advances each year on the bikes we ride. After riding my 2015 S1000R, 2016 S1000RR and 1299 Panigale I sure dont want to ride a bike with technology on my first Honda CBR 600R2 back in 1996
first flopsi fell marquez didnt take him out racing incident. i can play the same game if there wasnt bs against marquez he would have 95 points now. if the dog didnt stop to take a dump he would have caught the rabbit. see what i did there how it works?

second marquez got no points in Argentina unlike flopsi in 2015 sepang where he got to keep his finish and the other incident in Argentina when flopsi took out marquez (marquez didnt cry he said i will learn from it).

third if flopsi would have stood his bike up against marquez he wouldnt have fallen instead he continued.

fourth flopsi has avg 1 race win a year. if you wear yellow glasses nothing i say will convince you but i will keep preaching that he made ducati worse in 11 and 12. he also had JLO do all the work from 13 on. now there is nowhere to hide. he has made yamaha worse and sabotaged his team mate to not look bad giving marquez the title.

Last edited by mark419ny; May 8th 2018 at 12:20 PM.
mark419ny is offline  
Old May 8th 2018, 12:13 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
mark419ny's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: South Florida

Posts: 5,425
Thanks: 1989

I Ride: 2015 R1 2014 HP4 2012 1199 S sold 2007 zx10r and zx6r both sold
Originally Posted by jyli19 View Post
I think Rossi's best chance of a championship came and gone in 2015, and that was due to a few mishaps from the competition. Each year after, he's been more remote to that 10th championship. Right now, he might not even crack top 5.

Out right speed if given the best bike of choice
1. MM
2. Dovi
3. Zaro
4. Iannone
5. Crutchlow

honorable mentions: Vinales, JLo, Aleixa, Rins, Miller, Pedrosa, Petrucci all could give Rossi a run given level equipment.
rossi lost the 2015 championship or better yet JLO went out and won it dominating almost every catagory. flopsi couldnt win a race to close the door. nobody to blame but himself. couldnt beat danny at aragon and couldnt beat iaonne in PI. didnt win the big races when JLO was having difficulties end of story.

ps marquez won PI so how on earth did he help JLO.

Last edited by mark419ny; May 8th 2018 at 12:22 PM.
mark419ny is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Racing

Tags
factory, worried, yamaha



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this oil, should I be worried? jbs Mechanical and Technical 4 Jul 16th 2016 06:04 PM
And here comes the Yamaha R1M... flobrandx Motorcycle Talk 290 May 8th 2015 07:32 AM
1199S vs. Yamaha R6 Marmoot Ride Reports 19 Apr 30th 2015 04:51 AM
yamaha targets mark419ny Racing 3 Jan 23rd 2014 11:40 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed