Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Reviews

Reviews Rider reviews about bikes, parts, gear, accessories, places


Thanks Tree8Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 29th 2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Prince Albert's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,075
Thanks: 1421

I Ride: 2013 1199S Tricolore, 2005 999S Track Bike
Carbon Ceramic Rotors..

Can someone please chime in and give me your thoughts on carbon ceramic rotors and a good make (Sicom, Braketech ?)..

Do they serve any good purpose on the street or only for racing??..
Please tell me your experiences..

Best
pA
Prince Albert is offline  
 
Old Dec 29th 2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ljuice26's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Florida

Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 1110

I Ride: 1199
I would say only for racing. I believe you have to get some heat into the carbon brakes for them to work correctly. I use the brembo t drives
Thanks from Prince Albert
Ljuice26 is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Gecko's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Switzerland

Posts: 1,797
Thanks: 1696

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
Got SICOM (street, not racing disks, they do not need to get hot). Work at least as good as steel disks. But they are pretty shitty when its raining, and one disk starts to chip-off after 2 years.

The huge benefit for both track and street is the weight and the enormous reduction of rotational and unsprung mass on the front wheel! Bike behaves like a bicycle
Thanks from Claymore and Prince Albert
Gecko is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Claymore's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: South Africa

Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 501

I Ride: Ducati Panigale S Tricolore
My SICOM's are still doing pretty well after more than 12 000 km's and more than 2 years. I would love a bit more bite, but will later add uprated callipers so all should be fine. I do not do track, road only.
Claymore is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2015, 11:06 AM   #5
Member
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Bay Area

Posts: 40
Thanks: 67

I Ride: Panigale 1199 R, Ducati 916SP, '05 Gixxer w/BST's & CMC rotors, Ohlins
Great rotors!

Braketech CMC rotors do not have the downsides of MotoGP Carbons, ie: cost, wear life, temp requirements, fragility, etc.
I've had mine on three bikes over the years (2 Gixxers and my PaniR). I used them on countless trackdays and thousands of hard street miles.
Braketech makes carriers that are unique for their rotors. Since they were the distributors for the Carbon/Ceramic Ferodo/Starfire rotors, I could use the Panigale centers for my "old" CMC's.
They do not need to warm up, they work in the rain, save nearly FOUR (4) pounds of unsprung weight, never wear out, great for trail braking, and look cool.
Unfortunately, They have not been available for years and NOS are around $4 grand a set!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Carbon Ceramic Rotors..-004.jpg   Carbon Ceramic Rotors..-20151229_114016.jpg   Carbon Ceramic Rotors..-20151229_114054.jpg  
Thanks from Prince Albert and Marmoot

Last edited by Doug916SP; Dec 29th 2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: More pics
Doug916SP is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gecko's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Switzerland

Posts: 1,797
Thanks: 1696

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
My SICOM's are still doing pretty well after more than 12 000 km's and more than 2 years. I would love a bit more bite, but will later add uprated callipers so all should be fine. I do not do track, road only.
A friend of mine upgraded the pistons to custom coated Ti made ones on his two M50 calipers. He swears breaking is better on his SICOM, and of course its lighter. I'll get them next year, don't know the costs yet. But way cheaper than new calipers
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks from Claymore
Gecko is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Claymore's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: South Africa

Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 501

I Ride: Ducati Panigale S Tricolore
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
A friend of mine upgraded the pistons to custom coated Ti made ones on his two M50 calipers. He swears breaking is better on his SICOM, and of course its lighter. I'll get them next year, don't know the costs yet. But way cheaper than new calipers
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks Bro you are a star. I plan changes on my brake lines too to get a quicker and stronger response.
Claymore is offline  
Old May 18th 2016, 07:48 AM   #8
Member
 
mrailing's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
From: Louisville, KY

Posts: 95
Thanks: 62

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale S
Originally Posted by Doug916SP View Post
Braketech CMC rotors do not have the downsides of MotoGP Carbons, ie: cost, wear life, temp requirements, fragility, etc.
I've had mine on three bikes over the years (2 Gixxers and my PaniR). I used them on countless trackdays and thousands of hard street miles.
Braketech makes carriers that are unique for their rotors. Since they were the distributors for the Carbon/Ceramic Ferodo/Starfire rotors, I could use the Panigale centers for my "old" CMC's.
They do not need to warm up, they work in the rain, save nearly FOUR (4) pounds of unsprung weight, never wear out, great for trail braking, and look cool.
Unfortunately, They have not been available for years and NOS are around $4 grand a set!!!
Although I am a little late to this party, Braketech CMC rotors are amazing. Have had them on my R1 for years, and there is zero wear on them, after 15k street miles and 20+ track days. 3rd set of pads. I am about to send them back to Braketech to have the carriers swapped so I can install on the 1299 S, and can't wait for the rotating mass weight savings. The 1299 feels so heavy turning it.

If you can find a set of 320mm rotors, get them and get the carriers swapped and the XRAC pads that are "required" to run with them. You won't be disappointed. Each rotor weighs about 1.1 pound.

All the benefits are mentioned above, and Jeff @ Braketech still says that some new ones are on the horizon, but cost isn't know. So glad I have my set.

I was offered $5000 for them at a track day at Barber in 2014. These are worth their weight in gold!
mrailing is offline  
Old May 18th 2016, 08:04 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
double0's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,244
Thanks: 1333

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2007 CBR600RR, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
1299 feels heavy when turning it? You're joking, right?
Thanks from forelli
double0 is offline  
Old May 18th 2016, 08:53 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: NYC

Posts: 1,109
Thanks: 442

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R, 1098r Bayliss, Triumph 675R (ex AMA Bike), Beta 300 RR Race
I would not bother with them on the street as you need heat to make them work and they are serious $$.

For me it comes down to money and I'm not willing to spend $4k on the Sicom, I had ceramics on a car of mine that cracked and I would not do it again.

Last edited by reganc; May 18th 2016 at 09:59 AM.
reganc is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Reviews

Tags
carbon, ceramic, rotors



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ceramic Coating; help Sloopy Ducati 1199 6 Jan 15th 2014 08:16 AM
Ceramic coating rrcap2001 Ducati 1199 17 Jan 7th 2014 06:07 PM
For Sale: ★★★ '13 Panigale 1199R - Carbon Wheels / Carbon Rotors ★★★ EvoL Classifieds 23 Dec 19th 2013 05:29 PM
Ceramic Coating Chippy Mechanical and Technical 6 Jul 12th 2013 12:57 PM
Ceramic Coating Xbox Ducati 1199 23 May 4th 2012 10:25 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed