Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Reviews

Reviews Rider reviews about bikes, parts, gear, accessories, places


Thanks Tree93Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 25th 2016, 04:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
b9009b's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2014
From: Philadelphia

Posts: 3,384
Thanks: 1152

I Ride: 84' Short Bus, 14' 1199RM, 16' R1
2104 1199 vs 2106 r1

So to compare.. My 2014 1199 Panigale vs. my 2016 Yamaha R1!

Mods to the bikes

1199 - Akra Exhaust, Full Ohlins Treatment, S Model Wheels and a ton of Ducati Performance items and the SL MC with adjuster and Z04 pads

R1 - Bone stock..

Power - Both have to stay up around 7k rpm's to really get the grunt. I could only take the R1 to around 9k but damn its engine is solid.. Pulls like a boosted supra. the 1199 pulls almost as hard after the mods..

Comfort - Tie.. Both are comfortable (yes, I used that word)

Handling - The R1 right out of the box handles just as well as my 1199 with the full ohlins treatment if not better. I didnt even change anything from the stock settings of hard and its amazing. .cant wait to get it dialed in..

Rearsets.. 1199 needed new rearsets at purchase, slippery, too low and too far back. R1 just needs new pegs, the stock ones are slippery..

Brakes - R1 Stock brakes are almost as good as the 1199's M50's with Z04's and SL MC..

Quickshifter - The big part.. The QS on my duc was a POS.. Many times replaced just worthless, just up a gearbox like cows through a pasture.. The R1's is perfect, no movement from the bike no lurching nothing.. PERFECT


Due to my 1199 being a POS Lemon I must say this.. The R1 being absolutely amazing right out of the crate makes me think either it's a million times better than the 1199 or my was just the worst piece of shit ducati ever let go through a dealer floor.. On the first session today on the R1 i hit max lean angle on the tire, and save keeping it under 9k rpm I can run damn close to my pimped out panigale's pace.. I will just say it the R1 is plain out just a better bike and worth the money I paid for it and I've only ridden it once..

Last edited by b9009b; Jul 25th 2016 at 05:20 PM.
b9009b is offline  
 
Old Jul 25th 2016, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ljuice26's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Florida

Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 1110

I Ride: 1199
great write up. You need to bring it down south so we can get some laps in.
Thanks from b9009b and wanderlust
Ljuice26 is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Brew City

Posts: 466
Thanks: 196

I Ride: Lots
Originally Posted by b9009b View Post
So to compare.. My 2014 1199 Panigale vs. my 2016 Yamaha R1!

Mods to the bikes

1199 - Akra Exhaust, Full Ohlins Treatment, S Model Wheels and a ton of Ducati Performance items and the SL MC with adjuster and Z04 pads

R1 - Bone stock..

Power - Both have to stay up around 7k rpm's to really get the grunt. I could only take the R1 to around 9k but damn its engine is solid.. Pulls like a boosted supra. the 1199 pulls almost as hard after the mods..

Comfort - Tie.. Both are comfortable (yes, I used that word)

Handling - The R1 right out of the box handles just as well as my 1199 with the full ohlins treatment if not better. I didnt even change anything from the stock settings of hard and its amazing. .cant wait to get it dialed in..

Rearsets.. 1199 needed new rearsets at purchase, slippery, too low and too far back. R1 just needs new pegs, the stock ones are slippery..

Quickshifter - The big part.. The QS on my duc was a POS.. Many times replaced just worthless, just up a gearbox like cows through a pasture.. The R1's is perfect, no movement from the bike no lurching nothing.. PERFECT


Due to my 1199 being a POS Lemon I must say this.. The R1 being absolutely amazing right out of the crate makes me think either it's a million times better than the 1199 or my was just the worst piece of shit ducati ever let go through a dealer floor.. On the first session today on the R1 i hit max lean angle on the tire, and save keeping it under 9k rpm I can run damn close to my pimped out panigale's pace.. I will just say it the R1 is plain out just a better bike and worth the money I paid for it and I've only ridden it once..
I told you that you were going to love it! Just wait till you get it dialed in and the exhaust/tune. It's a entirely different bike, I am not kidding, you will need to learn how to re-ride the bike. So I would get that done ASAP.

The tune is VERY restrictive stock & the powerband changes drastically with the tune, especially in the lower RPM. Plus the stock tires suck!

As for better than the 1199, that is subjective and yes you've had horrible luck, but it's not better, but different.

It all depends on what you want for out of a bike, but the one thing I will say, it's much easier to ride the R1 fast right away than the 1199.

Much easier.... Glad you are happy with the purchase.
Thanks from b9009b
BigBoost is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2016, 05:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
b9009b's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2014
From: Philadelphia

Posts: 3,384
Thanks: 1152

I Ride: 84' Short Bus, 14' 1199RM, 16' R1
Originally Posted by BigBoost View Post
I told you that you were going to love it! Just wait till you get it dialed in and the exhaust/tune. It's a entirely different bike, I am not kidding, you will need to learn how to re-ride the bike. So I would get that done ASAP.

The tune is VERY restrictive stock & the powerband changes drastically with the tune, especially in the lower RPM. Plus the stock tires suck!

As for better than the 1199, that is subjective and yes you've had horrible luck, but it's not better, but different.

It all depends on what you want for out of a bike, but the one thing I will say, it's much easier to ride the R1 fast right away than the 1199.

Much easier.... Glad you are happy with the purchase.

You sir were correct lol and It's hard to argue with someone who has a bike list such as yours, I hate to haha buttttt... Considering what Ducati gave me in a bike vs what Yamaha did I can't see how the Duc is better..

All the mods wait till break in is done then im getting jiggy with it..
Thanks from BigBoost
b9009b is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2016, 05:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
b9009b's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2014
From: Philadelphia

Posts: 3,384
Thanks: 1152

I Ride: 84' Short Bus, 14' 1199RM, 16' R1
Originally Posted by Ljuice26 View Post
great write up. You need to bring it down south so we can get some laps in.
that's happening for a fact jack..
Thanks from Ljuice26
b9009b is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2016, 05:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
wilkson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: australia

Posts: 2,507
Thanks: 2098

If my 1299 was not a perfect set up for me and a joy to ride I would be buying a R1 as well . Glad you like the R1 they sound incredible .
Thanks from b9009b
wilkson is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2016, 05:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Whoopazz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Edmt, AB

Posts: 868
Thanks: 413

I Ride: 1299
I felt the same way about the handling of the bike. Within 30 mins I felt like I could get my elbow done lol. So confidence inspiring right out of the box.

Glad you like it. I also felt like the r1 wanted to pull more power wheelies then my 1299 did in 3rd. Believe it or not.
Thanks from b9009b
Whoopazz is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2016, 07:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mark419ny's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: South Florida

Posts: 5,073
Thanks: 1851

I Ride: 2012 1199s 2014 HP4 2007 zx6r (track)
I love it but what a joke this site is. I did an honest comparison of how the hp4 was better than the 1199 and people came at Me like I killed their first born. I said how u get so much more out of the box just like the r1 gives you so much more out of the box. How it's easier to ride fast. Where are u clown ducatisti or whatever u call yourselves. Why are you not crying? I love my 1199 carbon tri why because it looks good but what a piece of shit compared to the bmw and now the r1. The quality control on both the bmw and r1 is just better and you have actual factory support. Can you imagine if ducati had the problem the r1 had? They would be telling you no you are imagining it.
Anyway rant over. Love that you love that new yellow r1. U deserve it. Happy riding my friend see you Aug 7
mark419ny is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2016, 07:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
wilkson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: australia

Posts: 2,507
Thanks: 2098

Originally Posted by mark419ny View Post
I love it but what a joke this site is. I did an honest comparison of how the hp4 was better than the 1199 and people came at Me like I killed their first born. I said how u get so much more out of the box just like the r1 gives you so much more out of the box. How it's easier to ride fast. Where are u clown ducatisti or whatever u call yourselves. Why are you not crying? I love my 1199 carbon tri why because it looks good but what a piece of shit compared to the bmw and now the r1. The quality control on both the bmw and r1 is just better and you have actual factory support. Can you imagine if ducati had the problem the r1 had? They would be telling you no you are imagining it.
Anyway rant over. Love that you love that new yellow r1. U deserve it. Happy riding my friend see you Aug 7
I think because Mikes not a wanker is my guess .
Thanks from Sprinkles, Mutt1979 and Macattack
wilkson is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2016, 07:25 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
mark419ny's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: South Florida

Posts: 5,073
Thanks: 1851

I Ride: 2012 1199s 2014 HP4 2007 zx6r (track)
Mike is a good friend of mine dick head grow up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks from Gunny Fitz
mark419ny is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Reviews

Tags
1199, 2104, 2106



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed